A new small Swiss HO Layout built in "Stay At Home"

swisspeat

Thanks Jeremy.

The wall is a new embossed card one by Noch. Various scales are available at less than £2 a sheet. 

I must say I like it too though I generally do not like seeing graffiti anywhere!

:-)

Peter

A couple more...

The Kibri BLS ROBEL is non working but it makes an interesting cameo.

The BLS Stadler unit is Piko. They are now operated by SBB so the red livery is fading (literally!) and being replaced by white.

LOW R S 6.jpg

LOW R S 7.jpg

• Like 8

The road over bridge on the layout was a modified Scenecraft railway road over bridge. Additional height was needed to take the train and catenary and it was built on an angle rather than just being straight.

Cutting through resin is easy with a sharp blade and a bit of patience. It broke very cleanly and I was pleased with the results.

Building up the road was a mixture of Celotex home insulation board and Woodland Scenics foam pieces.

Pete

LOW R S 12.jpg

LOW R S 10.jpg

LOW R S 11.jpg

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Hi Pete.

Thanks for the update and thanks for the PM info you sent, that Noch Chalet is a cracking model all round. Your next project needs to be Austrian, something for that 2060 to run on?

Craig.

18 hours ago, swisspeat said:

The road over bridge on the layout was a modified Scenecraft railway road over bridge. Additional height was needed to take the train and catenary and it was built on an angle rather than just being straight.

Cutting through resin is easy with a sharp blade and a bit of patience. It broke very cleanly and I was pleased with the results.

Building up the road was a mixture of Celotex home insulation board and Woodland Scenics foam pieces.

Pete

LOW R S 12.jpg

LOW R S 10.jpg

LOW R S 11.jpg

Hope you wore a mask when sawing up that resin bridge. Nasty stuff to breathe in.

steve

• Like 1

Very nice work. Is that red railcar made by Stadler and related to the Allegra?

I want to use a Noch or Auhagen printed brick or rock sheet to line a wall on the layout where the mountain comes down to a high wall. Over that, I'm going to build a snow shed along the track for a short length.

Thanks for various comments.

Craig - I will post a few pictures with the Austrian 2060 later tonight!

Steve - you make a good point. I did not have any masks until this week (you'll guess the reason!). I did the work in a garage with doors open and did vacuum the dust up immediately after the job was finished. That said I am grateful for your reminder.

Michael - I have used some new Noch embossed card on the layout and some of the Noch Wrinkle Rocks on this layout. I will send pics later. 

The BLS Stadler GTW (RABe 526) were 2 and 3 car units that are now in the hands of SBB. I quite liked seeing them on the Emmental lines and the last one I saw in Autumn 2019 looked pretty tatty in very faded BLS / RM red carrying stick on SBB logos.

Back in touch later today...

Pete

The walling came from a new £2 sheet of embossed card by Noch. A lot cheaper than other stuff coming from Noch these days! They have a range of walling, roofing and paving pieces. I used about a quarter of it making the retaining wall and  glued it to a piece of mounting card to give it a bit more support. 

I reality I dislike graffiti but I was drawn to this colourful piece. as folks will know there's lots of it in Switzerland sadly.

LOW R S 15.jpg

LOW R S 16.jpg

LOW R S 17.jpg

LOW R S 14.jpg

• Like 4

And now the Wrinkle Rocks which are pieces of (expensive) heavy duty paper with photos of real rocks on that need to be screwed up and up till it looks a mess.

Great for portable lightweight layouts. Comes in a number of rock types.

I didn't do a good job of my small test rockface below because I glued it too "flat" to the piece of Celotex home insulation foam board. I should have introduced it to the foam if fully crumpled state and just let it touch the glue in some places to give the full crumpled effect but that said it still looks pretty good for a piece of paper.

I am going to have another go with this on a proper rockface because I can see it has good potential.

Pete

LOW R S 23.jpg

LOW R S 19.jpg

LOW R S 20.jpg

LOW R S 21.jpg

LOW R S 22.jpg

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

And a couple more for Craig …. an Austrian OBB 2060 on a little train set I built on a foam baseboard to prove to myself I could have some fun running trains.

I usually build layouts and then never run anything on it which I know is a bit mad!

This roundy roundy used track straight out of a Bachmann train set. The Liliput 2060 runs like a dream. 

LOW R S 26.jpg

LOW R S 25.jpg

• Like 10

15 hours ago, swisspeat said:

And now the Wrinkle Rocks which are pieces of (expensive) heavy duty paper with photos of real rocks on that need to be screwed up and up till it looks a mess.

Great for portable lightweight layouts. Comes in a number of rock types.

I didn't do a good job of my small test rockface below because I glued it too "flat" to the piece of Celotex home insulation foam board. I should have introduced it to the foam if fully crumpled state and just let it touch the glue in some places to give the full crumpled effect but that said it still looks pretty good for a piece of paper.

I am going to have another go with this on a proper rockface because I can see it has good potential.

Pete

LOW R S 23.jpg

LOW R S 19.jpg

LOW R S 20.jpg

LOW R S 21.jpg

LOW R S 22.jpg

A simple and clever idea.

steve

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, swisspeat said:

Wonder how hard that would be to replicate with some heavy photo paper or similar, printer and a rock face image...... 

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, JimFin said:

Wonder how hard that would be to replicate with some heavy photo paper or similar, printer and a rock face image...... 

The 'Paper' would have to have a high linen or cotton content and possibly some plastic, like tear proof maps, to stop it disintegrating when you crumpled it up and glued it down. Photo paper for inkjet printers wouldn't crumple properly, it's too stiff. An alternative, which you do have to paint, is to use the Woodland Scenics rock moulds but just paint them with a thin layer of plaster and then use paper towels soaked in dilute PVA stuck in afterwards, three layers was enough. It makes very lightweight and cheap rocks:D.

Pete,

Thanks for the 2060 photo's, Lovely little model. When we finally get Wolfstatt on the exhibition circuit you will have to bring it along so it can stretch it's legs properly although it may be out of breath after a complete circuit of the layout.

Love the Noch chalet, wish there were more of these quality lazer cut kits around although at £100 a time a big village is out of the question (according to my wife anyway).

Craig.

Hi Michael,

Noch Guest House Edelweiss 66405.

laser cut, good to build.

comes with very light coloured timber but I prefer the look of aged wood so I used the Noch Patina Pens to colour the relevant parts before I assembled it.

Took 5 hours to assemble the kit.

Pete

I have enjoyed your small Swiss and Austrian layouts for many years.

Nice to see the 2060. I still have a Liliput model I bought 30 years ago. Here it is on an old Ian Futers inspired layout and a photo of a 2060 045 at Zell am See. The goods shed and loading dock would make a great model for a small layout.

img333.jpg

2060 045 Zell am See 1995.jpg

• Like 2

Brilliant! As you can guess Ian Futers has inspired me over the years, even decades, with his Scottish and Austrian layouts. I keep encouraging him to model Austrian again.

I am torn between Austria and Switzerland and your Traunsee layout has left me thinking on the lovely Salzkammergut line again!

Thanks for both your pictures and comments.

• Like 1

Yes. Ian Futers inspired me to build a couple of small Austrian layouts and to visit that beautiful country on several occassions.

My first visit was to the Salkammergut in 1989. A couple more pics of my version of Traunsee.

img334.jpg

img332.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1