Lynton & Lynmouth 4mm scale, 8mm gauge

CF MRC

• RMweb Premium

I have bent up the torque arm and motor - gear box unifying strap from a piece of 30 thou brass. This had a bit of silver solder run in at the junction between the curved and flat bits to strengthen it. 
080AF502_6C34_4C31_81D7_01BE9516917F.jpe

This was then glued to the motor and gearbox with 5 minute epoxy. If the joint needs to be separated at any time a smidgeon of heat will degrade it.  The clip on the end rotates over the chassis cross member and holds the assembly nice and steady; as can be seen, the axle is not dropping out of the frames and the motor is held horizontally.
6C7480F6_31B2_4C79_88D2_D6D9C4E5CF29.jpe
I think I have worked out how to arrange the battery, receiver, switch and charging socket.  At the moment, it all looks like a snakes wedding, but is has dragged its encumbrances across the work bench, looking rather comical in the process. 
4D870AC1_06B5_42D4_95EB_55316E209E8E.jpe

Tim

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 7

• RMweb Premium

Yeo made its first trip to Lynton today.  The radio control with battery power works well in the engine with good slow running and an appropriate top speed for a terminus.  Probably need some track to do the job properly.

Tim

Edited by CF MRC
  • Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

• RMweb Premium

Today was a track making day for my trial diorama; the engine shed line.  Alan Smith has made some beautiful CNC-machined track making jigs for me (it ain’t what you know, it’s who you know...) with correct spacing for either L&B or SR timbers. 
Sleepers were simply loaded into the jig and cut to length with Xuron cutters. Then the rail simply soldered in place with lots of flux. 
4EF13445_3BDB_40AE_86E6_829F70625372.jpe
E378F494_54AE_47F1_B96B_A50BFAD19312.jpe

The second rail was then laid, again using lovely gauges from Alan.

3ECC0DBE_7640_487D_A3AB_DC238415B202.jpe

Once made, I took a riffler file to the sleeper tops to take away the excess solder and also to put in the electrical gap. Whilst I intend to use battery power on Lynton, it would be a bit silly to not have the option of conventional control and normal slotted gaps can be quite obtrusive.  This filing also gives a nice degree of irregularity: PCB sleepers often look too ‘sterile’ and sharp edged in the larger scales. 
FC7B9767_2584_4D86_8DAD_8451F686265F.jpe

The track has been given a first coat of paint, bringing out a wood grain and rusty rail. The rail head was chemically blacked, which effectively dulls it a bit.  The track will get further weathering - probably some light dry brushing, once it is fully laid and ballasted. 
EEC516DC_9BFD_4205_B91C_DEF98A7C7B58.jpe
So at least Yeo now has a couple of feet of proper track to go up and down.

Tim

Edited by CF MRC
  • Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium

I wasn’t convinced that the 100 mAh battery on Yeo would give sufficient endurance on an exhibition layout. Running light engine, in thin air, it would turn over for about 90 minutes continuously.  I have therefore sourced a 500 mAh battery.  The only problem is that it is 40 x 20 x 6 mm.  With some careful milling, there would be clearance in the tanks to accommodate this large slab. 
F660C0C3_7FB0_441B_92FD_4F077C91D250.jpe

This would require the receiver and aerial to move rearwards into the space previously occupied by the small battery.  I then had a light bulb moment (well LED actually) to use the little indicator light on the Rx to simulate a firebox glow.  Before that little frippery, I spent a long time carefully removing a large amount of metal from the tanks. This was approached from underneath, maintaining the top for rigidity; the casting would otherwise be very fragile. 
15073687_BA19_4B67_BB4B_2583AE6DA6ED.jpe

The Medusa’s head of wires wound be tamed with the new Rx arrangements.
76567BE6_D09C_4B08_8DD8_79EADD593AB3.jpe
I don’t think the loss of weight will be significant because there will be a substantial brass block at the front as a frame spacer and mounting for the pony pivot - the original went in swarf up the hoover. 
Turning to the receiver, this required space to turn it through 45 degrees so the the little LED would slightly protrude from the firebox doors which, along with other bits, 

were opened up with a TC bur in a lab hand-piece. The whole assembly was then glued into place with lashings of 5 minute epoxy resin - it’s important to sign your work with a thumb print, BTW. 
1DD70190_49A5_4544_A4CE_78987AC06D42.jpe
I roughly reassembled the bodywork to give this end result:

A5C8CDB0_4B8A_4F37_8ACB_EB552D34347A.jpe

The fireman is very lazy to leave the firebox doors open, but it does look quite jolly. The light is actually quite important to see because it lets you know the status of the Rx. The aerial will double up as a rather long slack pipe. 

Quite a pleasing days work. All I need to do now is wait for the new battery to arrive from over the seas and far away. 

Tim

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6

• RMweb Premium

Having filleted Yeo’s innards at the front to make room for the new mega battery, there was a need to re-make a fixing for the bodywork and front pony truck. A bit of nose weight would also help to keep the engine balanced.

The front turned spacer has therefore been replaced by a rectangular lump of brass: this will be drilled through in the mid line to take a bolt as the main front body fixing between the chassis and the body casting, locating the internal cast tank weight at the same time. In comparison, the Heljan assembly methods do seem to be overly complicated. 
C3E5F826_8BC8_4F33_AD09_4E279DCA5830.jpe
I have extended the thick brass to the buffer beam. It will need a bit of vertical clearance for the pony wheels and the front frames will be thinned from the inside to scale thickness for clearance. This is somewhat less challenging than OO9 because of the narrower gauge and wheels, whilst Lynton does not have any tight curves to worry about. 

7257CD48_6D53_451E_97A6_3F7F4B404DE0.jpe

This rear view shows the Rx LED in the firebox & the aerial, with the charging socket and isolating switch in the L & R  bunkers.  
4E7EC289_3F1E_4603_B128_D2EB749D7359.jpe

Tim

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium

Not a huge amount of evidence of half a days work, but the motor wiring has been further tidied up, the chassis dismantled and the frames and spacer milled out to give clearance for the front pony truck and wheels. 
BE38DAAB_7F82_4F90_9CC3_BD6A26C9EA21.jpe

On checking against the prototype I found that the Heljan pony truck arm was 5mm shorter than it should be: there is no wonder they have been beset with tracking problems, especially with the loose wheel - rail relationship in OO9. I will therefore have to extend the mounting back to just before the first axle to correct this. It will be a good excuse to get more weight at the front end as well as the solid brass cylinders. 

Tim

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium

Bit of light relief this morning has been to reinstate the coal bunkers.  These needed cutting away to give access for the slider switch (helpfully black) and the UM charging socket (unhelpfully white). The top and visible corners of this were therefore blacked out with a permanent marker.  

The bunker mouldings are nylon and shiny. Gently scraping a scalpel over the surface helped to loose this shine, whilst a soldering iron was used to rough up the floor of the boxes to look like small coal. 
B1349330_A4BC_496F_ACDB_CEB58B75FC7D.jpe

I do not want real coal in the bunkers in case it gets displaced into the switch or socket when the area is poked at with a cocktail stick or screwdriver. 
Making an bond to nylon is incredibly difficult with domestic adhesives. However, adhesive retention can be achieved by taking a laminate of tissue paper (doesn’t have to be Andrew quilted) and using a soldering iron to melt the fibres into the surface. 
0218467B_E5BB_4D6D_BE65_0CF43D806F89.jpe

The end result is good enough from normal viewing distance: I will need to run a little paint around the raw casting edges when the body is next dismantled. 
CFEDB60C_87AC_4F5B_87A2_145CBDD80A56.jpe

That awful dome is really annoying me now. Question really is how best to get rid if it?

Tim

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium

I will obviously need rolling stock wheels for Lynton, so a stache of 6mm diameter 14.80mm axle length wheels arrived today from the 2mm shop.  These are direct replacements for Peco wheels, but obviously set to 2mm FS back to back. 
The Peco wheel is top, 2mm FS middle and 4mm scale, 8mm gauge bottom. 
630E2135_B471_4AED_828E_6C12204C373E.jpe

The Association wheels are made to very tight tolerances: moving the wheels by hand will inevitably mess them up. An exceedingly simple jig was made to reduce the B to B dimension to 7.1mm.  It consisted of drilling a 1.2mm hole nearly to the wheel front-to-pinpoint tip measurement, that was then counter bored 0.5mm to accommodate the pinpoint end, so supporting the axle on the cone, rather than damaging the tip. 
67812F6B_A68A_4B9A_B5A2_88B7D28551AB.jpe

To re-gauge the wheels they were simply placed in the (stationary) lathe with a similar fixture again bearing on the cone of the axle pin-point in the tail stock.  The lever feed tailstock was then used to press the wheel against the jig and advance it along the axle. The axle was  then turned around, the exercise repeated and job done!

FAEE2C15_5F24_448C_B9DC_5F8C0CDA7B45.jpe
Forty axles were completed in 15 minutes.  If anyone else is silly enough to follow these standards, I would happily assist with re-gauging the wheels. 

Tim

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 7

• RMweb Premium

A wheely good day today! 
The rear off side wheel on Yeo had a crack in it at the hub, was running eccentrically and needed replacing.  I was fortunate to be given some replacement wheels from Gaugemaster.  What is interesting is that these are for the new style chassis. The photo shows a green original type wheel with a through-and-through axle, whilst the black wheel on the left shows the replacement style. These have a blind-ended square cavity in the end, presumably to take the crank and automatically quarter it.  The centre wheel is a replacement and has been drilled through very carefully and slowly (lots of backing off and clearing the swarf) with a 1.9mm TC mill drill. This ensured a good fit on the 2mm diameter pivot steel polished axle. The extended hub is useful to centralise the wheels in the frames.  The new wheels make the engine run much better and I have continued to fine tune the gearbox and motor set up in the frames.
6C2E8B29_83F5_4255_B542_BBC14DBC79DF.jpe
The RC system is really working very nicely. 

Continuing with the wheel theme, I tried out the new wheels in a Peco L&B carriage. The axles are of course very undernourished, compared with the Peco versions, and so a 10thou styrene packing piece was glued to the keeper plate to prevent them from wriggling out of the axle boxes. 
2E4133A4_DB74_42C5_8473_328EF15DA0C5.jpe

Working on the carriages will be a good job for when we finally get away in the camper van...

Tim

Edited by CF MRC
  • Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• RMweb Premium

As mentioned earlier in the thread, the pivot point for the pony trucks is misplaced on the Heljan mechanisms. For the rear truck it falls just behind the round chassis spacer on my new chassis: I therefore decided to make a rearward extension to this.  The first attempt was made back to front.  The second one would have been OK, but I then realised I could pick up the Heljan pony pivot screw as a rear fixing for the new chassis. Third time lucky!

Whilst the two components could have simply been soft soldered together, I thought it would be much better to silver solder them for added strength.  I use silver solder paste from Palmers Metals a lot these days for small jobs as it is very convenient to handle.  The items to be soldered need to be placed on a refractory material or charcoal block to avoid heat damage around them; they are simply coated in the paste. 
6E5C7B09_BDB0_4C9F_ABA4_B5680F3AA958.jpe
I use a little gas torch for heating the metal; it is the sort sold in fancy cook shops. It’s important to slowly heat up the big piece of metal - solder always moves to where the heat is - look out for it next time you’re using a soldering iron.
B15D1B8B_B598_4CD0_9182_8E465481A642.jpe

The spacer, body fixing point & pony pivot were tidied up and the holes opened up for clearance for the body screw and tapped 14BA for the new pony pivot. The difference in length is immediately apparent (in this photo the spacer is actually upside down relative to the chassis).

0A85FBFA_3A6E_4EF0_B747_85EF485A85F4.jpe

The whole assembly is now well attached and integrated with the Heljan body work. The remaining plastic frames will need a space at the back to straighten them up a bit. 

94C92AEF_33E0_43F7_9248_EBACCAA62DC0.jpe

Silver soldering is considered a bit of a ‘black art’ by modellers, but it really is very straightforward and has the advantage of making much more robust components. 

Tim

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Premium

I don’t think I could fit a bigger battery into Yeo...

F0747BFA_A5B0_4545_959E_81C148BA2D4B.jpe

I now need a 500 mAh charger and then it will be interesting to see the endurance of the new cell. I actually have a shorter 300 mAH battery, but that might be more appropriate for Lyn (one day).

Tim

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

I have finally had enough of the painted boiler fittings. I had noticed that there was shiny metal showing on the chimney top where I had been handling it.  It also pulled off the body casting quite easily. 
1369ED20_DC76_43DB_B30D_3692BEAAC365.jpe

A few moments in the lathe and the paint was off and a nice shiny chimney top emerged. 
4EE3BEF6_232F_4CB3_A6CC_37B855F3DFE1.jpe
Why do they paint it when they have such a nice turning hidden underneath?   The dome has also been worked on, but that won’t be for the faint hearted...

Tim

• Like 5
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

I couldn’t find a way of removing the cast painted done subtly.  So I milled out the back of the boiler, dome and all.  The side tanks were gripped carefully with soft card packing in the machine vice. 
37DD62DA_BADA_4568_92CF_A682DD2394E6.jpe

This was replaced with a turned boiler segment with two side pads to locate in the tanks. 
3604A10B_D60D_4830_9CDC_BD36088E8A52.jpe
2037BAFA_B180_4646_8787_C411D85A077E.jpe

The dome was roughed out on the big lathe. 
94D13DC9_6722_4EA4_9E97_02AEB6C20F8D.jpe

This was then transferred to the watchmakers lathe, with a dowel Loctited in a hole in the base so that it could be held in a collet. The shape had a thick base to allow for trimming to fit the boiler.
87F7B1FA_AD57_4D05_B36A_156BB3004DE4.jpe

The underside was cut out with a TC trimmer in a hand piece and the fit checked against some of the boiler that had been cut away. 
621078CE_1C15_446C_952D_107723F34274.jpe

The ‘shoulders’ of the dome were also trimmed down with the same TC bur, and the fitting was then polished with abrasive rubber points, crocus  paper and finer, in the lathe.  The TC bur and polishers can be seen here, as well as the mandrel to hold the dome for polishing. 

77A5D8FE_9424_48CC_9B79_0E0791E0BE3F.jpe

The final result is, I think, a significant improvement on the painted dome. To be fair, their latest versions have a better gold paint on them.  
2F5E36C8_7CA6_4173_815A_3F4E0A2E2084.jpe

It’s quite a long time since I made a ‘full fat’ dome. About three hours work for the dome itself and a very relaxing. 

Tim

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 13

• RMweb Premium

I have connected up the new 500 mAh battery today.  Big enough for a Tesla, if it gets caught short.  
850AD10D_A9FF_48F6_AAE3_0A697E427ED8.jpe 

The connecting wiring is tricky to tuck away. The new boiler fittings do catch the sun nicely. 
0A18413F_1C45_4A35_B63D_C53589A1D3FC.jpe
Yeo runs quite steadily, considering the massive unsupported rear overhang, with no pony truck steering. 

Edited by CF MRC
  • Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 12

• RMweb Premium

The front pony pivot has been made.  It needed to be removable in order to allow the wheels to be dropped. It also needed to be rebated to clear the underside of the motor, as can be seen in the photo with the frame spacer on its side between the frames. 
4517DA79_B183_4191_9EAD_020497D0C5C5.jpe

The rearward position of the bogie pivot is apparent in the underside view, with the block held in place by a couple of 14BA screws.  
37862268_4085_4644_AA47_052170A89200.jpe

Nothing to stop the ponies being made now. 

Tim

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

• RMweb Premium

It’s quite important to get weight, or springing, or both over a pony truck.  I therefore took two lumps of brass, filed a common face, sweated them together and then made a rectangular block with a joint in the middle.  This was then milled further to shape and drilled twice at 1.9mm diameter for the 2mm axle. 

D5617900_E315_4903_BFC0_746F293EF296.jpe

The block was further milled to give a rebate at each end that would accept the A frame of the pony - to be made from 1mm thick brass.  The midline solder joint is obvious in this image.

69FEED5D_95C9_4AA0_BC74_BC27E0C3C9A1.jpe
The as-milled block for the rear pony is sitting in front of the front pony in this image, with the A frame soldered in to place. This follows a lazy z shape to allow the ride height to be correct. It also means that the pony ‘works’ from ‘bottom up’ rather than ‘top down’, which I think helps stability.

FCE95BB7_83C2_4C28_B47C_69BF0C792AC0.jpe

The front of the brass block was lightly milled and an indication of the springs filed into place - not that they will ever be visible.  Also of note is that the A frame was filed with a bevelled edge to make it look thinner: it is quite thin strap material on the prototype. The Heljan original shows the clear difference in mass.

987A06B1_EAB8_470A_8E3D_F6E46CF2C584.jpe

With the pony in place it is clear that there is plenty of room for side play and the correctly place pivot point will guide the engine into curves. If a guide spring proves to be required then that can be added easily at a later stage. 

A3616596_63AD_48F8_A808_FE7FF8D27858.jpe
The rear pony will very probably have a compression spring built into it to take some of the rear overhanging weight of the engine. The pivot bolt will be replaced with a correctly shouldered fitting and the pivot hole then reamed to an x shape to allow movement in all axes.

Tim

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 7

• 5 months later...