Was there a Didcot Diesel Gala in October / November 1987 - Answered

Stentor

I've been scanning some old negatives and found some I believe were taken at Didcot Railway Centre.

On the film they follow on from Ripple Lane open day which was 17th October 1987.

However I cannot find any references to this event using my idea of what to search for using Google.

Can anybody please shed any light on this - the event not my searching abilities?

Was there a diesel gala in late 1987, possibly to celebrate Didcot's 30th anniversary or was it just a normal weekend?

Thanks for any information.

//Simon

Film_100_Oct_87_Rip_Ln_022.jpg

Film_100_Oct_87_Rip_Ln_025.jpg

Film_100_Oct_87_Rip_Ln_024.jpg

Edited by Stentor
Title amended
  • Like 2

It's certainly Didcot.  Long before my time, but none of the diesels are locals so probably a gala.  The steam engine is I presume 3822. It's just coming up the ladder and past the end of the coaling road. You can see one of the cooling towers of Didcot A (recently demolished) on the far right.

You could try asking on the GWS Didcot facebook page? Someone on there would know I'm sure.  https://www.facebook.com/groups/6230720903/  (it's a private group so you have to join it first I think). 

• Thanks 1

On 08/05/2020 at 16:28, Steamport Southport said:

ISTR it might have been something to do with Foster Yeoman and the introduction of the Class 59s.

That's why they sent a clean one....

24th October 1987 sounds familiar, I remember 50007 and 47406 passing on the avoider with service trains, and a model of of 50149 in triple grey on one of the stands only about a week after it appeared in the press.

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

IIRC this was a pre-advertised "Diesel Day".  Attached are a few of my poor Instamatic pics...  October '87 rings a bell. 

I recall being in the driver's seat of the 59 when it was moved a few feet (being driven from the other end).  As an 11 year old, that was probably the highlight of my year!

59001_Yeoman Endeavour (2)_Didcot 1987.jpg

D335_Didcot (1)_1987.jpg

D335_Didcot (3)_1987.jpg

D1035_Western Yeoman (1)_Didcot 1987.jpg

D9000_Royal Scots Grey (2)_Didcot_1987.jpg

It certainly happened, I was there too! I have the photos somewhere, not scanned yet.......

2 hours ago, mcjlf1 said:

October '87 rings a bell. 

Probably the one hanging on 59001! 

(Sorry, just had to........OK OK, I'm leaving now........:mosking:)

I remember Castle Aid. As shown on the board in the photo of D335. I left school in 87 and four of us who were teenager members at the time entered the Pump Trolley marathon on the branchline to raise money for 5051's purchase. 

• 3 weeks later...