Signalling Help. Carltonholme Branch Line Terminus oo gauge

Hi everyone, I hope I have put this in the right area of RMWEB. I'm hoping to seek advice from other members for the signalling and ground frame (ground  frame colours) arrangement and positions.

All the signals will be semaphore (including ground signals)  overall the layout is a freelance (no particular period).

I have included a photo cropped from scarm, and hopefully this helps to explain.

Please note:

There is a vertical road bridge (not shown) seperating the running line (coming from the bottom right) and the station run round, bay, small  MPD and goods yard goods yard all groing through three portals.

Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Carltonholme Branch Line Terminus.png

First thing - every goods line that joins a passenger line will need a trap point at its exit.

Secondly, where is - and what is the purpose of - the ground frame that you mention?

Edited by RailWest

...... and, thirdly, which pre-grouping railway company is assumed to have owned the station.

By and large, right up to the end of local freight services, stations, and especially terminal stations, were signalled in a way that was typical of their pre-grouping owner ....... and no other company. Generally, grouping and subsequently nationalisation brought (some) renewals and sometimes rationalisation to reduce operating costs, but the influence of the pre-grouping company remained clear to see and even renewals and rationalisation would have been typical of those applied to other lines of that company.

Today's railway is very different but the massive changes have all taken place over the last few decades with a different type of distinctiveness largely relating to the era when modernisation occurred and the contractor who supplied the new signalling (if any) - and, since rationalisation/modernisation probably arrived in several different stages, there is often a rather different complex of overlapping styles apparent. However, with local freight sidings you are not modelling today's railway so that is all irrelevant, as almost certainly, would be colour light signals.

Hi RailWest, the trap point is included in the diagram, I should have explained earlier.

If you look at the track plan its just before the right hand curve between the Hornby uncoupler (Fuel depot siding), but above the engine shed.

Regarding the ground frames, I'm not sure where to place them, I'd imagine I'd need some for the goods yard a perhaps one for the mpd?

(This is me just guessing).

Bècasse, I see what your saying regarding the origin of the pre-grouping. 

I haven't decided yet as I like a variety of locos from different, regieons, periods, history etc:

I do have my layout forum on here with photos if that's any help hopefully it'll make things clearer.

I don't know if I could link it on here

• RMweb Premium

I'm not sure you've placed the 'traps' in the most operationally efficient position. The traps will be protected by a signal, I can't see how you can fit one in to make it operationally effective. Also not sure why you would want a GF in the sidings/engine shed area, hand operated points is all that is needed. But hey, it's your layout, so Rule 1 should apply. 

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, Steam here! said:

Hi RailWest, the trap point is included in the diagram, I should have explained earlier.

If you look at the track plan its just before the right hand curve between the Hornby uncoupler (Fuel depot siding), but above the engine shed.

That trap is far too far away from the connection to the main line to prevent any 'stray' vehicles being left in the intervening 'gap'.

There also needs to be a trap from the sidings connection into the bay platform line, and one at the RH end of the run-round-loop.

Hi iands, thank you for you're help, regarding the ground frames, I wasn't sure if I needed any or not.

I take it when you say the traps will be protected by a signal, would I be right thinking ground signal?

Regarding the MPD and MPD siding, I've got a few single hand levers that I can place down.

Edited by Steam here!
I missed out some detail.

Thank you RailWest, I see you what you mean, at the time of laying track I used the Peco trap point, unfortunately they only do straight sections, all the track is fixed down.

However I can do static trap points (a basic representation, but static).

Regarding the trap point for the bay platform area, please could you tell me where abouts I'll need to put it.

Would I be right thinking, it needs be placed on the curve next to the footbridge?

Would I also need one on the curve next to it (the MPD entrance) only asking, from time to time their will be MPD related freight using this

(Coal, box van= carry tools for loco maintenance etc).

The Bay platform will be used for coaches, I will also be using it for the TPO, cattle wagond and the occasional freight train. (Primarily for forming (holding goods train), if the main platform is in use or where it is permitted on the time table).

Here is the photo of the static trap point I did a couple of months ago.1585050433153953322041.jpg.7bf3cd4b4e316bf6ea21055bcf487fec.jpg

On this copy of your plan I have drawn red circles in the three places where IMHO trap-points will be needed.

This assumes that the bay platform is designated for use as a passenger line. If it is going to be used a lot of the time for goods storage, then you might need a trap also where I have drawn one in yellow - others on here may have a view on that.

The two ends of the engine release crossover would be worked from the same lever, so the loop (RH end) will act as a trap-point there without needing an additional trap to be added.

978603493_CarltonholmeBranchLineTerminus.png.e1b7bcc14dd67d8fa40a40dc1903ff6d.png

Okay, great news, the trap points I can take care off, the MPD, bay and run round loop will be present, but static. Which I don't mind as long as there's a representation, I'll be happy with that. (Something like the previous photo).

Next thing I'd like to ask is the locations of the signals (semaphore and ground signals) and the directions they are facing).

Goods yard levers, would they be single levers?

I'm thinking of also putting a signal box on the platform (a small one like Ratio do) Which direction (side) would the signal box steps be on?

My thoughts of having the signal box would be on the basis of:

•There will be more than one loco in steam in the station limits.

•A small MPD.

•Bay platform to accomodate extra trains.

•outside the station will be single line. (Token required).

•Its a busy Terminus (also currently  working on a timetable).

• A variety of freight and passenger trains).

•There are 11 points.

Could I also ask, what does IMHO mean?