Average modern platform width

• RMweb Gold

I’m building a single platform modern style country station and I was wondering if something was built within the last 30 years, would it have been built using standard platform lengths and widths?

There would be no station buildings except for a “bus stop” style shelter and the platform length would accommodate a 3 car train.  Any help would be most welcome.

• RMweb Premium

My local station is Crossflatts, built in 1982 (so a bit outside your timeframe, I didn't realise it was quite that early!). It's timber construction. The platforms are only around 2m (6'6") wide along their entire length: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Crossflatts_station_p2.jpg#/media/File:Crossflatts_station_p2.jpg

Walsden station is slightly later, built in 1990, same construction, and same width: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Walsden_station.jpg#/media/File:Walsden_station.jpg

Low Moor Station was opened in 2017, and is of concrete construction. It looks a bit wider, at around 2.5m/8': https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Low_Moor_station_opening_day.jpg#/media/File:Low_Moor_station_opening_day.jpg

Hope that helps.

Jonathan

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Modern standards are min 2.5m for less than 100mph and 3m for over 100 mph. They may be made wider depending on footfall but that would have to be quite high and beyond your country setting.

In terms of jrb’s comments all of the West Yorkshire timber platforms that were mainly built in the 80s are very narrow to modern standards but fairly typical of the time as done on the cheap by BR with PTE funding. 

Anything from 1990s onwards would probably be 2.5m.

look at construction types as well, the 80s Yorkshire platforms are a standard timber trestle and most modern platforms are of a modular type and less of a traditional brick or stone solid front wall. Most common is what’s called ‘cross wall and plank’ which is basically a blockwork wall across the width of the platform at approx 4-5m intervals with concrete plank/beams laid along the length of the platform if you Google the description there are plenty of sketches and pictures. 

That said they won’t be the easiest things to model, you can have a solid concrete until for the face that would be definitely easier!

WYPTE stations were, as stated, timber with Acme plywood decking. None will be 2.5m wide as Acme boards were only 8' long so 2.4m max. The standard until 1996 was 6'0" minimum (1.8m) then 2m and now 2.5m. SYPTE tended to go for cross wall and plank using Bison beams with tarmac over but they built far fewer stations and spent most of their subsidy on buses (10p ? max adult fare at one time, it was definitely 2p for kids). Some of the WYPTE stations are now on their third deck, the SYPTE concrete ones are only just starting to need repairs 30 years on. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have a vague dislike of modern stations. I find them cold, uncomfortable brutalist places. The only thing I think they have going for them is that they fulfil a need and they are built with being fully accessible in mind. That said even in concrete there seems to be some element of the Temporary about them, given they are basically a giant concrete meccano set.

Edited by The Evil Bus Driver
typo

A few new platforms opened in the 2010s comparison. All seem to be 2.5m.

Newtongrange

Newtongrange_station_6th_june_2015.jpg

Eskbank

Eskbank_station.jpg

Ebbw Vale Town (might be 3m compared to the Pacer width of 2.8m)

Ebbw_Vale_Town_railway_station_(geograph

Galashiels

Gala_station_overview.jpg

Meridian Water (not country but platform 4 seems to be about 2.5m)

1024px-Meridian_Water_stn_high_northboun

Cheers

David

1 hour ago, The Evil Bus Driver said:

I have a vague dislike of modern stations. I find them cold, uncomfortable brutalist places. The only thing I think they have going for them is that they fulfil a need and they are built with being fully accessible in mind. That said even in concrete there seems to be some element of the Temporary about them, given they are basically a giant concrete meccano set.

A notable exception is Kenilworth which was rebuilt in the style (although not quite size) of the original.

640px-Kenilworth_station_building_exteri

Cheers

David

• Like 1