Unknown location - help please

Guest Jack Benson

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jack,

823 got its late crest when in works from 16/9 - 17/10/59 and got AWS which this shows between 8/12 - 23/12/1961

It was withdrawn on 29th November 1964

It looks like spring blossom on some of the bushes visible so probably around April to May of 1961 / 62 or 63

It was allocated to Salisbury between 27/06/1951 and 28/12/1963, when it then moved to Feltham for its last year. 

To me it has more the look of further west so my gut feel based on that is it was taken in the spring of 1961 or 62. 

Is there a story behind the picture?

• Agree 1

Guest Jack Benson
12 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

I'd question that 'from Brighton Works' as the sun's pretty high in the sky and somewhere behind the photographer - so it looks like the train's heading south-east-ish.

As the Isettas were built at Brighton Works, then the comment is fact.

Isetta and Brighton Works

• RMweb Gold

It's a Salisbury engine and the head code would indicate it's on the West of England main line, probably somewhere between Salisbury and Exeter. 

EDIT: At this time these 3-wheeled vehicles (Isettas?) were being manufactured at a plant adjacent to Broad Clyst station, and there are some photos of some of these on Lowfit wagons in "Yeovil to Exeter" by Vic Mitchell and Keith Smith. A large number were manufactured in 1964 so it would therefore suggest the train is on its way to Salisbury from Broad Clyst.  

Edited by RFS

Guest Jack Benson
2 hours ago, RFS said:

It's a Salisbury engine and the head code would indicate it's on the West of England main line, probably somewhere between Salisbury and Exeter. 

EDIT: At this time these 3-wheeled vehicles (Isettas?) were being manufactured at a plant adjacent to Broad Clyst station, and there are some photos of some of these on Lowfit wagons in "Yeovil to Exeter" by Vic Mitchell and Keith Smith. A large number were manufactured in 1964 so it would therefore suggest the train is on its way to Salisbury from Broad Clyst.  

Hi,

Unfortunately not, the Broad Clyst factory produced AC Invalid cars as part of a DSS contract. These three wheel single seat death traps were scrapped en masse due to safety concerns. Dave Smith produced an excellent series of articles on his blog about scratchbuilding the cars Click here

AC of Thames Ditton should be better remembered for the AC Cobra that combined a lacklustre British .car with. Caroll Shelby Ford V8 motor.

The link to the Isetta production at Brighton Works was posted within the fourth post in this thread.

cheers

Guest Jack Benson
On 07/05/2020 at 19:14, Blandford1969 said:

Hi Jack,

823 got its late crest when in works from 16/9 - 17/10/59 and got AWS which this shows between 8/12 - 23/12/1961

It was withdrawn on 29th November 1964

It looks like spring blossom on some of the bushes visible so probably around April to May of 1961 / 62 or 63

It was allocated to Salisbury between 27/06/1951 and 28/12/1963, when it then moved to Feltham for its last year. 

To me it has more the look of further west so my gut feel based on that is it was taken in the spring of 1961 or 62. 

Is there a story behind the picture?

Duncan,

It has been provisionally identified as May ‘61 near Milborne Wick about 3 miles east of where I am sitting. In return, I need to find images of 30847 in use on the SW Mainline.

Cheers