• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I really like this Baz and thanks for the mention.

Right up this Sheep's street. 

Good stuff! 

Rob. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Morning Baz, 

A few further thoughts if I may. 

I think your idea regarding the use of Brean Down Fort by the RAF is  very good one and would give rise to additional traffic. 

In terms of a compound, I would leave that area open. A suggestion of RAF generated freight traffic could be given by the presence of a suitable lorry occasionally appearing and would make a good Cameo in itself. I guess they would turn up,  unload any freight straight into the lorry and leave, back to the fort for tea and medals. Good excuse for an Airfix Bedford popping up. 

I'm not really  into populating a layout with loads of figures but perhaps a few kit bags on the platform would suggest a few airman having a brew in the waiting room.....or a RAF Police vehicle parked up, the occupants just waiting to make someone's day that extra bit special. 

I do like the look of this. Perhaps a bit of weedy growth here and there would suggest a bit of a down turn despite the activities of the  boys in blue. 

By the look of it, you may well have, in turn, inspired this Sheep to try a little something different. The woolly grey cells are ticking....

Rob.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Interesting stuff Baz quite delightful actually given its location and railway company right up my street.

probably would of seen milk traffic to Bason Bridge to a few dairy farms out that way.

I would agree with Rob on the compound leave it open.

I also have the same view on figures suggestions of activity are better.

buildings look fine if you had a smaller one try it for looks.

keep the photos coming.

Cheers

Ade 

That is a nice little layout.

Bridgwater Bay was used for bombing practice during WWII. On top of Brean Down as well as the fort at the seaward end (which would have generated a small amount of traffic in its own right), there are a number of structures at the landward end. There is the remains of a large concrete directional arrow pointing into the bay, and a nearby concrete bunker  used by the RAF for observation. 

Edit - the concrete arrow is visible on google earth.

IMG_0822.JPG.3e123d27c5f730507f4a2a087495f014.JPG

Concrete arrow as seen from the point looking north eastwards back towards Weston-super-Mare.   18/7/2018

IMG_0823.JPG.06f464f65ce1a5e51e3c061a92d76535.JPG

Here the tip of the arrow points into Bridgwater Bay, with the concrete bunker visible. 18/7/2018.

cheers

Edited by Rivercider
Additional info
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Nice layout @bazzer42. I really like the whole concept of the extension being built.
The use of the fort by the military sounds plausible enough to me.

As a fellow "South Taffian", @NHY 581 may be aghast at me agreeing with everything he has said! ;) 
But I feel I must, on this occasion, if never again (only kidding Rob, although I must admit, I'm not quite so fascinated by sheep!)

Definitely keep the space "open" - I think there is a danger of "overdoing it" with smaller layouts... less is more
The Bedford truck would be an ideal solution IMO

Funnily enough, I've gone from modelling BR diesels (in my youth), to modelling the GWR, back to modelling BR diesels with DCC sound.... (to recapture my youth)
and now I feel I'm on a journey to modelling steam again, and having purchased the John Betjeman "Branch Line" DVD 16 months or so ago
I find I've been thinking along the lines of an S&D based "might have been" micro layout myself :)

Excellent work sir, and although I only just discovered this thread.... I'm already convinced by the back story... It must have been on the drawing board!
PS. Those Wills kits are fine too. Yes, they're commonplace - but they do look the part, and are nicely detailed
Perhaps add some features - such as a lean-to office on the goods shed? Maybe a "porch" on the signal box?
Bit of weathering and some ivy & moss... bingo, they're a bit different

Looking forward to seeing this one progress :) 

Edited by marc smith
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Just saw this last night - this is great and I look forwards to seeing more: right up my street too.  From what I can see, looks like the board is a tad longer than 4’ with the short Streamline points and Y points?
The nature of photos probably emphasises the workbench backscene more for those of us seeing it for the first time than it does in reality, but made me wonder which side points to the sea?
I also like the fence along the board edge: could I ask what make it is? (I’m going to need some for my own similar layout soon). Thanks, Keith.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Definitely barrels of beer to the RAF base? :drinks:

C250AB0A-0A13-4186-BDFB-596E1A90F18F.png.d1f48f7bf1a6fb1c45521c1f0acb0248.png94DA3C83-0594-41A5-B4FB-09AEC09C5AC5.png.3767eeca70c71ac8e875d43b1633e43b.png

We all seem to like the back story the what should/could have been format gets you thinking particularly if like me it’s an area you know well.

Cheers 

• Like 5

When the old fort at Brean Down was refortified during WWII accomodation was provided for 120 men to serve the two 6" guns that were installed. Although the military road along Brean Down was passable by cars and lorries I understand all construction materials actually came by sea from Barry. As well as the gunners there was a small REME detachment and also RAOC.

As well as the presence of the RAF Range Control Bunker at the east end there were plans for a radar station, but not actually built. The practice bombs were made of chalk I believe.

During the war a number of trials were held on Brean Down of weapons designed by the ADMWD   Admiralty Department of Miscellaneous Weapons Development, which was located at HMS Birnbeck in Weston-super-Mare.

Therefore members of all three armed services could have used the station at Brean

cheers

Edited by Rivercider
additional information
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Rivercider said:

When the old fort at Brean Down was refortified during WWII accomodation was provided for 120 men to serve the two 6" guns that were installed. Although the military road along Brean Down was passable by cars and lorries I understand all construction materials actually came by sea from Barry. As well as the gunners there was a small REME detachment and also RAOC.

As well as the presence of the RAF Range Control Bunker at the east end there were plans for a radar station, but not actually built. The practice bombs were made of chalk I believe.

During the war a number of trials were held on Brean Down of weapons designed by the ADMWD   Admiralty Department of Miscellaneous Weapons Development, which was located at HMS Birnbeck in Weston-super-Mare.

Therefore members of all three armed services could have used the station at Brean

cheers

I take it that was Birnbeck Pier? 

Good job it wasn't known as; 

Department involving Miscellaneous Weapons in Production.......or...

Dim WiT

R

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

Looks like a great start and an interesting track plan - can I ask the dimensions of the scenic board shown in your first post?

all the best,

James

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

I take it that was Birnbeck Pier? 

Good job it wasn't known as; 

Department involving Miscellaneous Weapons in Production.......or...

Dim WiT

R

I believe it was the pier (or at least the island at the end) that was commissioned in the War.  Could plausibly justify all sorts of strange wagon loads / tarpaulin shapes under a “Miscellaneous“ heading if so desired.

(Off topic personal memory:  I remember often visiting the pier as a kid to avoid the town centre crowds in Weston, although that was much later.  From memory there was a small car park up the hill and a cafe on the walk down to the pier, where I once sprayed the first drink I was ever served with a straw - I didn’t know not to blow through it.  I still learn by trial and error.)

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I got to know the area very well during family holidays in the 70s. 

Had quite a few evening strolls on the pier with Mum and Dad and well remember the wonky planks, through which you could see the sea.

Rob. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

33 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

I got to know the area very well during family holidays in the 70s. 

Had quite a few evening strolls on the pier with Mum and Dad and well remember the wonky planks, through which you could see the sea.

Rob. 

40 minutes ago, Keith Addenbrooke said:

I believe it was the pier (or at least the island at the end) that was commissioned in the War.  Could plausibly justify all sorts of strange wagon loads / tarpaulin shapes under a “Miscellaneous“ heading if so desired.

(Off topic personal memory:  I remember often visiting the pier as a kid to avoid the town centre crowds in Weston, although that was much later.  From memory there was a small car park up the hill and a cafe on the walk down to the pier, where I once sprayed the first drink I was ever served with a straw - I didn’t know not to blow through it.  I still learn by trial and error.)

Yes HMS Birnbeck was on the Island seen here earlier this spring. 

IMG_8275.JPG.d1a45be507d32499b7169355d177e367.JPG

Birnbeck Pier 22/4/220.

IMG_8273.JPG.3ddc14b988e16b0315131e789538d63c.JPG

And the cafe at the landward end 22/4/2020.

To get back towards the topic here is Birnbeck Pier and Island with Brean Down in the distance,

2114742703_IMG_0423(2).JPG.3439945b386e9bcd15dc8ca2578967c6.JPG

25/3/2015

With apologies to Bazzer for going off-topic

cheers

Edited by Rivercider
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Thank you for the kind comments I didn't expect a Brean revival! I couldn't help but endorse the Betjeman film.  Dad has alzheimer's but we can watch that and we are having an easy chat.  I took him across the moors about a year ago to trace the old route from Burtle. I was surprised how easy it is to trace the line on Google maps.  I still think the sedgemoor area across to Burnham is the best of Somerset, perhaps that's childhood bias?

The layout James 48.5" x 13".  I bought a job lot of 2ft x 4ft styrudor (spelling?) at 40mm thick it seems man enough to not need supporting too much and light enough to throw around.  I have built a frame to drop these standard size modules in (tried China clay and a somewhere gwr blt) but beginning to regret that I didn't lower the front face to allow a harbour or embankment.  Swings and roundabouts as I am a cheapskate and wire in tube my points.

I agree with Marc that more is less and have decided to drop the provender store.  I think the centre area will carry a nissen hut used as a builders yard/ store.  Another ratio kit  that can create a disproportionate amount of cursing to the dozen parts.... I also built or dismembered a free ratio hut (a crib from the beautiful Penhydd) with the excuse that it suffered collateral damage when a confused dornier aiming for Filton dropped three bombs destroying the original goods shed and killing 3 heifers.  Thereafter referred to as the Brean blitz.  After reading Mr Cider's post perhaps the RAF were more likely villains?  I must get back to work on it as I get easily sidetracked and have already collecting some 7mm narrow gauge for a farmyard micro.  I will put a picture up of the latest thinking.

Thanks again for the additional Brean and Birnbeck photos.  I can recall a late sixties walk to the fort with dad and siblings when it was free to walk around.  I attended a residential course in a hotel near the pier in the late 90s. Their claim to fame was the Beatles had stayed there and you got the impression you were seeing the same decor that Ringo enjoyed.

Sorry for hijacking my own thread!

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Lovin the Simplex, Baz........

However, I really like the layout from this side. 

I have to say, I really think you've got something here.( in my far from expert opinion) 

Now, I'll stick my snout in and probably add a bit of confusion. If and only if, the buildings are not secured............and if you fancy a bit of fun

Could you try moving the goods shed to the opposite end of the layout,where it was before ? 

Remove the Nissen hut and big hut, and plonk the yard crane back where it was. 

The concrete hut might look nice, between the ground frame and the corrugated hut (but closer to the hut),  with the door facing the ground frame. 

I think it would really open up the layout and you'd get some nice photos from the siding side looking towards the platform and buffer stops etc. 

Rob. 

Edited by NHY 581
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, Keith Addenbrooke said:

Just saw this last night - this is great and I look forwards to seeing more: right up my street too.  From what I can see, looks like the board is a tad longer than 4’ with the short Streamline points and Y points?
The nature of photos probably emphasises the workbench backscene more for those of us seeing it for the first time than it does in reality, but made me wonder which side points to the sea?
I also like the fence along the board edge: could I ask what make it is? (I’m going to need some for my own similar layout soon). Thanks, Keith.

So the question I wanted to ask about the fence at the front of the board is now about the fence at the back of the board.  My modelling is nothing like as good as this, but I’d like to see what I can do?  Are Wills kits “fiddlier“ than their Ratio cousins?

Although my guess as to the board size sounds almost right - to be honest I thought it was a bit bigger than 48.5” x 13” - it shows how a sense of spaciousness has been achieved.

Edited by Keith Addenbrooke
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Keith Addenbrooke said:

So the question I wanted to ask about the fence at the front of the board is now about the fence at the back of the board.  My modelling is nothing like as good as this, but I’d like to see what I can do?  Are Wills kits “fiddlier“ than their Ratio cousins?

Although my guess as to the board size sounds almost right - to be honest I thought it was a bit bigger than 48.5” x 13” - it shows how a sense of spaciousness has been achieved.

Keith, the fence is ratio concrete fence posts painted by misting over various car body sprays to get a concrete effect.  I noticed several S and D stations would use what appeared to be pipe or tube in similar posts (lovely set on the Blandford Forum bay) so used some .64mm piano wire I had to hand.   I can't even remember why I bought the wire but probably for the garden railway.  The kit comes with spools of nylon thread that I could not get to go tight on previous layouts.  Nobody likes a droopy fence!

Ratio v Wills?  Ratio kits I find have many parts to make what could be a single bit in a Wills kit.  The signal box on here is basically only four sides and a roof (3 components normally but added corrugated for a change) . The Ratio Highley GWR signal box kit has a separate frame for the walls and window components meaning it is easier to paint and get a nice clean line.  Painting the Wills panel frames e.g. goods shed and signal box require a steady hand and a fine brush.  I think it is probably a case of thinking what looks right where and then preparing yourself accordingly for construction.  The Peco station and small lock up probably fall between the two.  I love the station kit and had one painted brown and cream on a GWR blt.  

A sheet of Slaters corrugated is always handy to tweak things if you want your kit to look a little different and a carefully wielded razor saw allows a bit of variation if you choose.  The coal yard hut is a Wills wooden station and a wood yard roof.  

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

21 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Lovin the Simplex, Baz........

However, I really like the layout from this side. 

I have to say, I really think you've got something here.( in my far from expert opinion) 

Now, I'll stick my snout in and probably add a bit of confusion. If and only if, the buildings are not secured............and if you fancy a bit of fun

Could you try moving the goods shed to the opposite end of the layout,where it was before ? 

Remove the Nissen hut and big hut, and plonk the yard crane back where it was. 

The concrete hut might look nice, between the ground frame and the corrugated hut (but closer to the hut),  with the door facing the ground frame. 

I think it would really open up the layout and you'd get some nice photos from the siding side looking towards the platform and buffer stops etc. 

Rob. 

Moving the goods shed is feasible but the cranes plonking days are more difficult.  I noticed some bloke on Highbridge Wharf glued his DAS down ....the Wills crane sits on a DAS base...  that said I quite like it there and semi tempted to over grow it to make things look a little more run down and hanging on.  The nissen hut I've had misgivings about for a bit, perhaps I should do a Sir Nevard and add allotments?  There is a lovely view in the Ian Allan colour series of a 22xx at Highbridge beside some unfenced allotments.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Sounds like a plan, Baz. 

A big part of my 'fun' is taking the photos. I reckon your layout will really lend itself to that. 

Sheep Dip is an experiment and as such is  quite built up at the front. Therefore, the views of the layout are compromised as a result. 

Sheep Lane, Mutton and Bleat Wharf are all open. It adds to the feeling of space. 

But crucially, it's got to work for you which is all that really matters. 

Top stuff!

Rob.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1