Advent Calendar Day 23

Bassenthwaite Lake station is a disused station on the closed Cockermouth, Keswick & Penrith Railway. It is located near the small village of Dubwath just off the A66 near Bassenthwaite Lake. The station is currently been restored to its former glory as a tourist attraction. The locomotive and coaches are the props used during the filming of the 2017 film ”Murder on the Orient Express”. At present the station is closed to the public but can be viewed from the road. The locomotive is based on a SNCF class 241P.

Full Gallery

UPLOAD3.jpg?format=2500w

• MattDitch changed the title to Matt Ditch Photography: Photo Advent Calendar Day 23. + Tanfield Railway "North Pole Express" Video

Advent Calendar Day 24

I've posted about Barber and the Harrogate Gas works railway a few times recently. Below is a picture of the other surviving Harrogate Gas works loco, Peckett 2050 "Harrogate". The Peckett lost it's distinctive cutdown appearance during a rebuild at the Bredgar & Wormshill Light railway during the late 80s early 90s. It now resides at the Statfold Barn railway.

The below picture was taken at Lintley Halt on the South Tynedale Railway during the summer of 2017 while "Barber" was undergoing repair at Statfold barn.

Personally I think it would be nice to see "Harrogate" returned to its as built cutdown appearance one day.

Full Gallery

History of the Harrogate Gas works railway

five.jpg?format=2500w

• Like 1

• MattDitch changed the title to Matt Ditch Photography: Photo Advent Calendar Day 24
  • MattDitch changed the title to Matt Ditch Photography: Advent Calendar Day 25... Merry Christmas!
  • MattDitch changed the title to Matt Ditch Photography: 2020 in review. What a strange year!

New year, new blog post!

I've long been fascinated with the Cawfields Quarry Railway, a narrow gauge industrial railway in Northumberland.

Please click on the below image to read the article.

DSC_0119.JPG

Edited by MattDitch

• MattDitch changed the title to Matt Ditch Photography: New article - Cawfields Quarry Railway. Industrial narrow gauge in Northumberland
  • 2 weeks later...
  • MattDitch changed the title to Matt Ditch Photography: "Vulcan" North Tyneside Steam Railway. 05/09/20

New blog post!

This post looks at how the original 3 foot gauge Ravenglass & Eskdale or "Owd Ratty" was transformed into the 15inch gauge "La'al Ratty" that we all know and love today. Click here to read the full article.

CSC_0717.JPG

Parts 1 & 2 can be found via the above link as well.

It's my plan to release a new article every 2 weeks. And these will mostly be on light railways, industrial railways and branch lines.

• Like 1

• MattDitch changed the title to Matt Ditch Photography: new article - From Owd to La'al Ratty
  • 2 weeks later...
  • MattDitch changed the title to Matt Ditch Photography: New article - The Bideford, Westward Ho! And Appledore Railway.
  • MattDitch changed the title to Matt Ditch Photography: North Tyneside Steam Railway on the 15/02/18.
  • MattDitch changed the title to Matt Ditch Photography: Threlkeld Quarry and Mining Museum 2016 steam gala.
  • MattDitch changed the title to Matt Ditch Photography: New article - Cockermouth to Keswick
  • 2 weeks later...
  • MattDitch changed the title to Matt Ditch Photography: Beamish Museum "Great War Steam Fair 2016"

New Article - The Railways of Chopwell

This weeks article takes a look at the various railways near Chopwell woods near Newcastle in the north of England. The railways covered are; Chopwell and Garesfield Railway, Whittonstall railway (Narrow gauge), Victoria Garesfield Colliery and associated mines and finally the Victoria Garesfield Colliery Tubway (narrow gauge)

Please click here to read it.

DSC_0555.jpg

• MattDitch changed the title to Matt Ditch Photography: New Article - The Railways of Chopwell
  • MattDitch changed the title to Matt Ditch Photography: Threlkeld Quarry and Mining Museum 2016 steam gala.
  • 2 weeks later...
  • MattDitch changed the title to Matt Ditch Photography: New Article - The Wensleydale Railway - Hawes to Garsdale and the history of 67345/7845

Beamish Museum 2014 "Great North Steam Fair"

Preparing Bagnall 0-4-0ST "Isabel" and Kerr Stuart Wren "Peter Pan" at the start of the day.

Full gallery

DSCF3262.jpg?format=1500w

I also did my first bit of photography this year when I visited the Seven Sisters near Houghton-Le-Spring. The railway connection is that these are located just off the course of the Hetton Colliery railway at Copt Hill.

upload3.jpg?format=1500w

Edited by MattDitch
  • Like 1

• MattDitch changed the title to Matt Ditch Photography: Beamish Museum 2014 "Great North Steam Fair"

New article!

This week's article is on the history of the Lambton Waggonway which linked the coal fields of County Durham with Lambton Staithes on the River Wear in Sunderland.

Link

geograph-6441367-by-Alan-Murray-Rust.jpg

Lambton Works which was the headquarters of the railway. In the background is the remaining headgear of the former Dorothea Pit, but this time-serving only as an emergency shaft. © Copyright Alan Murray-Rust and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence

• Like 1

• MattDitch changed the title to Matt Ditch Photography: New Article - The Lambton Waggonway
  • 2 weeks later...

First steam of 2021.

A few days ago I received word that newly restored Andrew Barclay 0-6-0ST "Horden" would be out on test at it's home the Tanfield Railway. Sadly things didn't quite go to plan and the loco only managed 2 trips before returning to Marley Hill shed. But here are a few photos from the day, hope you all enjoy! 

Link to full gallery

DSC_0359.jpg?format=1500w

DSC_0404.jpg?format=1500w

• Like 1

• MattDitch changed the title to Matt Ditch Photography: First steam of 2021 - Andrew Barclay "Horden" on test
  • MattDitch changed the title to Matt Ditch Photography: New video - Andrew Barclay "Horden" on test
  • MattDitch changed the title to Matt Ditch Photography: New articles - Howe & Co Sidings and Cocklakes Works Tramway & Andrew Barclay "Horden" on test & breif history
  • MattDitch changed the title to Matt Ditch Photography: Threlkeld Quarry and Mining Museum 2019 steam gala.

Probably the last post on "Horden" for a while now. Back on the 16th of April I was lucky enough to catch the loco preforming another round of loaded test trains on the Tanfield Railway. Please enjoy the below footage. And don't forget to like & Subscribe!

• Like 1

• MattDitch changed the title to Matt Ditch Photography: New Video - "Horden" second day of loaded tests 16/04/21

Several days ago the South Tynedale Railway released their plans to alter the appearance of former Harrogate Gasworks loco "Barber".

For those unfamiliar with "Barber" and why it has such a unique appearance and the history of the Harrogate Gas works railway. Then please check out the article I have written on the subject, here

Barber+1.jpg

• MattDitch changed the title to Matt Ditch Photography: Article - The Barber line - Harrogate Gasworks railway
  • MattDitch changed the title to Matt Ditch Photography: Beamish Museum - Coffee Pot No.1’s 150th anniversary. 01/05/21