Someone Who Can Repaint Locos

I'm looking for someone that has the ability to repaint a loco. I have one of Hornby's new Rustons which I want painted in the livery of a local railway near to me, but my painting talents are very little and I want the model to look much better than what I could achieve. Does anyone know any RMweb members or other modellers who would be able to help me (I would of course be willing to pay for the service)?

(I also don't know whether I have put this in the right topic area!)

Edited by hconn

23 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

What sort of livery is your local railway?  In particular, is it lined out and does it have have lettering, or a crest?  

It's quite a simple livery with no crests or lining really. I have attached some pictures below for reference. 

maxresdefault.jpg

Mountsorrel-Railway-passenger-trains-weekend.jpg

D3ATFEvWwAEFmFm.jpg

• RMweb Gold

I reckon that would be easy enough to do yourself, hconn.  Use good brushes, size 000, maybe 1, and 4, acrylic matt or semi matt, not gloss, paints, and practice on a try piece made of similar plastic.  If the plastic doesn’t want to ‘take’ the paint, matt varnish it as an undercoat. 

Dismantle the model to the extent that you can remove the glazing, and build up layers of dilute paint until you have good coverage and a finish you are happy with.  Gentle strokes in the same direction as much as you can, and develop the technique of pushing paint into corners with the 000.  Take your time and allow thorough drying between coats, have a rest if you are getting tired or eye strained.  A comfortable, well lit, work station in a room as free of dust as you can. 

Trust me, practice, don’t rush, and finish off with clear matt varnish; you’ll be fine!

You’re the boss, of course, and if you want it done professionally I’d suggest Lord & Butler, who can weather it if you want as well.  No idea what they charge or waiting times, sorry!

• RMweb Gold

Hi there,

I agree with the Johnster - this should be a nice easy job for you to do yourself.

What I don't agree with is doing it with a brush.

Once you are able to visit Halfords - take the photo with you and try to match the colour to the rattle can spray paints.

If you are comfortable taking the thing apart - that would be the best way to do it.

If you are not happy taking it apart - don't.

Instead get some good masking tape and mask the loco up so you can then spray the main body colour.

The other paint colours can then be touched up with a brush and the appropriate colours.

Thanks

Phil H

1 hour ago, The Johnster said:

I reckon that would be easy enough to do yourself, hconn.  Use good brushes, size 000, maybe 1, and 4, acrylic matt or semi matt, not gloss, paints, and practice on a try piece made of similar plastic.  If the plastic doesn’t want to ‘take’ the paint, matt varnish it as an undercoat. 

Dismantle the model to the extent that you can remove the glazing, and build up layers of dilute paint until you have good coverage and a finish you are happy with.  Gentle strokes in the same direction as much as you can, and develop the technique of pushing paint into corners with the 000.  Take your time and allow thorough drying between coats, have a rest if you are getting tired or eye strained.  A comfortable, well lit, work station in a room as free of dust as you can. 

Trust me, practice, don’t rush, and finish off with clear matt varnish; you’ll be fine!

You’re the boss, of course, and if you want it done professionally I’d suggest Lord & Butler, who can weather it if you want as well.  No idea what they charge or waiting times, sorry!

45 minutes ago, Scottish Modeller said:

Hi there,

I agree with the Johnster - this should be a nice easy job for you to do yourself.

What I don't agree with is doing it with a brush.

Once you are able to visit Halfords - take the photo with you and try to match the colour to the rattle can spray paints.

If you are comfortable taking the thing apart - that would be the best way to do it.

If you are not happy taking it apart - don't.

Instead get some good masking tape and mask the loco up so you can then spray the main body colour.

The other paint colours can then be touched up with a brush and the appropriate colours.

Thanks

Phil H

Thanks for the advice. My main concern with doing it myself was getting the correct paints. Excluding Halfords (considering it may be a while until we can leave) is getting the correct paint, especially the green. Any suggestions on that?

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, hconn said:

Thanks for the advice. My main concern with doing it myself was getting the correct paints. Excluding Halfords (considering it may be a while until we can leave) is getting the correct paint, especially the green. Any suggestions on that?

Hi there,

The nearest green appears to be mid olive green or WD green.

Either equivalent or near colours are available in both enamel and acrylic paint types.

Thanks

Phil H

57 minutes ago, Scottish Modeller said:

Hi there,

The nearest green appears to be mid olive green or WD green.

Either equivalent or near colours are available in both enamel and acrylic paint types.

Thanks

Phil H

Thanks! I bought the WD version thinking the colour was a closer but I would still need to repaint the front and back.