Class 33 on the S&C

Hi,

I know the Type 3 (or Class 33) was not a S&C locomotive however I‘m sure that I read a while back that 3 were temporarily transferred as far north as Glasgow shed to cover for failing Class 26 locos.

I wondered if they ever ran on the S&C albeit by exception?

• RMweb Premium

Paul, etc. - good question.

BUT can I emphasise again - this section is for S&C LAYOUTS only.

I will get Andy York to move this thread to the general Settle and Carlisle section which you can find in the Prototype section, Special Intetests, The Settle and Carlisle Route.

Jeff

• 3 weeks later...
On 08/05/2020 at 09:36, 60021 Pen-y-Ghent said:

For some info on 33s in Scotland have a look at http://www.scot-rail.co.uk/page/class+33

Some of these Scottish tours made their way up via the S&C https://www.sixbellsjunction.co.uk/00s/020518pt.htm

Also 33207 Ran an S&C tourist train both ways 18/6/08, a train I sadly couldnt get on(and no more turns-lack of bookings!) I can't find any DRS turns, they ran once on the Carlisle Newcastle, which I guess includes a litte of the S&C. However DRS 33030 visited KWVR in 2004 so surely headed down Light Engine from Kingmoor? Perhaps they did the odd, unphotographed turn in DRS days, be nice to hear.

But they were very rare indeed.

37 minutes ago, Roadrails said:

Also 33207 Ran an S&C tourist train both ways 18/6/08, a train I sadly couldnt get on(and no more turns-lack of bookings!)

That would be the one run by West Coast Railway Company (Leeds or maybe York to Carlisle) not in its EWS days I think. I don't know how many such trips they actually ran. I saw one with the 33 on (can't remember what was on the other end) but like you before I could book a trip they'd all been cancelled. Shame.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

DRS ran a trial with 33s on the S&C for the "Minimodal" service.

Nothing ever came of it though.

Flickr pic

Minimodal at Garsdale

Last recorded (I think) outing of a 33 was 33207 on the rear of a WCML charter with 35018 up front in October 2018

• Like 2