DSB Danish State Railways orders the 1000th Vectron

From Railway Gazette International;

https://www.railwaygazette.com/traction-and-rolling-stock/dsb-orders-the-1-000th-vectron-locomotive/56421.article?utm_source=RGInewsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_content=Story 3&utm_campaign=RGInewsletter- 2020508&adredir=1

"Siemens Mobility has now sold a total of 1 003 Vectron locomotives to 49 customers in 16 countries, with the first delivered in 2012"

I've cabbed one of these machines and it is a very pleasant working environment in a very capable loco. The unit I was in, was being modified to be able to produce up to 350 Kn tractive effort. I don't know how to turn that into Lbs of tractive effort but it is a lot. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, Allegheny1600 said:

From Railway Gazette International;

https://www.railwaygazette.com/traction-and-rolling-stock/dsb-orders-the-1-000th-vectron-locomotive/56421.article?utm_source=RGInewsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_content=Story 3&utm_campaign=RGInewsletter- 2020508&adredir=1

"Siemens Mobility has now sold a total of 1 003 Vectron locomotives to 49 customers in 16 countries, with the first delivered in 2012"

I've cabbed one of these machines and it is a very pleasant working environment in a very capable loco. The unit I was in, was being modified to be able to produce up to 350 Kn tractive effort. I don't know how to turn that into Lbs of tractive effort but it is a lot. 

Linked to that story is a DSB order to Talgo for sets of coaches for the Copenhagen - Hamburg service which will top and tailed by these locos. Apart from what would seem to be excessive power, what happens if a train crashes at 200kph with a heavy loco at both ends?

9 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Linked to that story is a DSB order to Talgo for sets of coaches for the Copenhagen - Hamburg service which will top and tailed by these locos. Apart from what would seem to be excessive power, what happens if a train crashes at 200kph with a heavy loco at both ends?

Presumably such an occurrence might comparable to the Amtrak Cascades smash, not too long ago?

However, I wouldn't call a Vectron "heavy", they only weigh around 80 - 87 tons, compared to a comparable American diesel loco, the "Charger"s involved in the above incident weighed around 120 tons.