Hornby Class 56 lighting issues

Hi. I have a super detail Hornby Class 56. Having just sorted out the screeching noise (fixed by lubrication of gear towers as suggested on here) there is now an issue with the lights. All head and tail lights worked fine before, but now only red tail lights in one direction only. The brass wire connections in cab areas look ok, and can’t see any wires that have disconnected. Any suggestions as to what might be the culprit areas to investigate? Thanks in advance...

• 4 months later...
On 08/05/2020 at 13:16, unsoundmove said:

Hi. I have a super detail Hornby Class 56. Having just sorted out the screeching noise (fixed by lubrication of gear towers as suggested on here) there is now an issue with the lights. All head and tail lights worked fine before, but now only red tail lights in one direction only. The brass wire connections in cab areas look ok, and can’t see any wires that have disconnected. Any suggestions as to what might be the culprit areas to investigate? Thanks in advance...

I've had exactly the same problems. The gears seized on mine and after curing that it was hard work to get the lights to work properly again. I solved it more by luck than judgement!

I have a few of these, late 2000's rather than newer examples...

Whatever grease they used, most of it hardened and seized the gear towers - had exactly the same issue with some 31's.

Anyway, the lights are a mare to get working again; the spring contact on metal pad arrangement is just poor, and was updated I believe on later examples.

To further complicate things, the contacts' polarity on (my ) sound bodies are different to regular 'dumb' models.

I would first check your leds with a battery / resistor arrangement to make sure the tail lights LED is working and you're not 'flogging a dead horse'...If you get it to light, you'll know the suspect contact ( The common was +ve on my sound examples...)

It might just be a poor contact, or something more involved. I've found bare / stripped wires when disassembling mine....

• Thanks 1