Platform signs

jonny777

I'm not sure if this is in the correct section, but it is just a small question and I have done a quick search for the subject. 

I have built platform awnings, and I also have small square (in real life enamel) plates with platform numbers on them. These are about 8mm square, and therefore rather difficult for my cow udder fingers to handle properly. 

From memory and the photos I can find, in the late 1950s (which is my model era) these platform numbers tended to hang from the canopy support cross members. Can anyone recommend how I could do this? I doubt in reality the wires/chains or whatever were used to suspend the enamel squares would be much bigger than an inch or so in diameter, which is about 0.3mm in 4mm scale. 

Has anyone managed this successfully, and how far above the platform surface have you suspended them? Thanks in advance for any advice. 

Thanks Dougie. 

I may end up doing that; but actually after mentioning the problem to my wife, she said I might find something in the sewing section online. 

I did a few searches, and came across something called 'beading thread' which (unsurprisingly) is thread for beads - used in embroidery and other crafts apparently. It can be purchased in diameters as small as 0.2mm, which would be about 2/3rds of an inch in 4mm scale and not too bad for my purposes. 

I have sent for some, and will see how it works out. The main problem might be getting it to hang straight, as the platform number signs are quite light even though I sandwiched thin plasticard between the two squares of printed card. 

On 09/05/2020 at 01:01, Banger Blue said:

I’ve just glued mine direct to the underside of the canopy, you can’t really tell from normal viewing angle unless you peek under the canopy:

3DE1127F-647B-4107-BC85-327397569E78.jpeg.aeb78a7d7dc27d7efb1f0173a143dd73.jpeg

7C83EC26-B858-4AAD-841A-709BFE507082.jpeg.98cb56fcd0bd403cacd4ef7672c6e478.jpeg

Well, the thread has arrived and it is black which is a bonus. 

This is my first effort and I'm not completely satisfied, but I'm not displeased either. The cross member needs to be weathered which will hide the glue marks, but at least it hangs there without dropping off. 

I have balanced the canopy on my laptop keyboard for now, in the hope that residual heat from the processor will help to dry the glue quickly. 

I need 6 altogether. 2 for each of 3 platforms. One down and five to go......

IMG_3784.JPG.9af76d17619d588954a2d6e3b2ecfc9c.JPG

• Like 2