Adam's Workbench - Industrial Modelling and 3D printing

• RMweb Gold

Some images of the real Bellerophon for reference, I believe I took these during it's last weekend in service at the Foxfield so it was my last chance to get some detail photographs.

At the time there was a massive Summer drought which meant there was a fire train (water bowser on a flatbed behind a diesel) running up and down the line extinguishing fires. It was certainly needed as every freight run up the Foxfield incline seemed to start something smouldering. I don't think I have any photos of it unfortunately.

xS7SyyIQRAmy32n5cWVA_g.jpg.42ef594f844fb14d91b6d2cff251209f.jpg2SPYvySPR6KhqKSFAqsgmg.jpg.b0fab60ad20d6380f747d46e5f19573d.jpgutUs8c0xT7OB4gVTEnU0qA.jpg.25f07af16c97bb7e573b3a35a5aed09b.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

I never put up any CAD images on Bellerophon, so here they are.

You can see I did design and print some suspension components but they didn't look right on the model so I left them off in the end. I was very pleased with  how the hand brake wheel printed in the end, based on the CAD I was half expecting an amorphous lump that I'd have to replace with an etched brass alternative but every spoke and the knob came out perfectly

image.png.8806fac10dd637a2e1e3639aa6ab9fb7.png

image.png.33c4a9b703536b7842eacd68356fe507.png

image.png.f5a5a92fe98de6e163a43d69ca93cfc2.png

There's definitely changes that I want to make for a future print which I've got in the works

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

With my anycubic photon playing up and the parts to fix it being unavailable I decided to take the plunge and get a new 3d printer. I placed a preorder for the new Elegoo Mars  Pro. It finally turned up on Friday

A42FBB9A-5C16-4D9B-B740-19F90B849A2D.jpeg.6e37f5853501367cf9838df6a823ce12.jpeg

I quickly ran a couple of test prints through it expecting to have to do a lot of fine tuning for my translucent yellow resin but no, it worked well straight away and I was able to get a loco body printed overnight

64771A6F-D551-4E04-ADB3-8007E5ACFCF3.jpeg.079d974ca7c1dc0e98c0cef1bb30e9ed.jpeg

so far I’m happy with it, I’ve got some work to do to find my preferred settings for layer  height but it’s nice to be able to print what I’ve designed again.

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

Whilst waiting for some other pieces to print I've been working on my Manning Wardle 0-6-0ST, it's now pretty much ready to print after having to raise the saddletank as it was too low both compared to other MW 0-6-0's and to allow a decoder to be fitted easily

The model is freelance (ie: the RTR terrier chassis is too large for the model to be scale) but is based of a mix of Aldwyth and Sharpthorn but with the older MW safety valve

image.png.437ce8c2e817e70804011a4c16f3d508.png

image.png.c3350cc459e7c523c325c5d6614f9d04.png

image.png.75137ea6d0fed9079630e6ee0fc73f7d.png

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Love the models Adam especially the Kitson long boiler, Great work!  I had any Anycubic Photon which quickly became unreliable and extremely expensive to repair & run. Switching to the Mars was the best decision I've made. They're much better machines and IMO much simpler to use.    

Edited by MattDitch
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
50 minutes ago, MattDitch said:

Love the models Adam especially the Kitson long boiler, Great work!  I had any Anycubic Photon which quickly became unreliable and extremely expensive to repair & run. Switching to the Mars was the best decision I've made. They're much better machines and IMO much simpler to use.    

Cheers Matt

I swear at some point I'll get around to finishing the Kitson, theres so little left to do on it.

My anycubic was brilliant, but it seems the touchscreen is a known problem area with them which is really annoying when theres no spares for that part available.

So far the mars pro has been the better machine, I don't know if it's down to the linear rail but flat surfaces are much more consistent than with the photon and prints stick to the bed more reliably. The only thing it's struggled with is one of my go to test prints, the fantasy castle

image.png.2faa329a02050e4ee9e04c478dcafa3d.png

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3846058

as you may be able to see the roofs for the large and mid sized spires have windows and arches holding them up, I've never had them not print on the anycubic whereas on the mars only 2 printed successfully and one of those fell off in the cleaning vat. I can only imagine it's down to the antialiasing which I never used on the photon and that was the only difference between the prints but I'm not sure why that would affect it to such and extent.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

7 hours ago, Adam FW said:

Cheers Matt

I swear at some point I'll get around to finishing the Kitson, theres so little left to do on it.

My anycubic was brilliant, but it seems the touchscreen is a known problem area with them which is really annoying when theres no spares for that part available.

So far the mars pro has been the better machine, I don't know if it's down to the linear rail but flat surfaces are much more consistent than with the photon and prints stick to the bed more reliably. The only thing it's struggled with is one of my go to test prints, the fantasy castle

image.png.2faa329a02050e4ee9e04c478dcafa3d.png

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3846058

as you may be able to see the roofs for the large and mid sized spires have windows and arches holding them up, I've never had them not print on the anycubic whereas on the mars only 2 printed successfully and one of those fell off in the cleaning vat. I can only imagine it's down to the antialiasing which I never used on the photon and that was the only difference between the prints but I'm not sure why that would affect it to such and extent.

Neuschwanstein?

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, RedGemAlchemist said:

Neuschwanstein?

You're half right

I didn't design it but the original designer claims it's based on Neuschwanstein and Schloss Lichtenstein, originally it was a huge multi part print for an FDM 3D printer

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:862724

someone else then scaled it down to be a resin test piece which requires no support material, this combined with the fine detail and complex shape I feel works well to test the printer and people really like the model so I tend to give the prints away rather than just bin them like some other tests pieces.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

getting ready to print the main components of my Manning Wardle, I've never had the smokebox printed on the running board rather than the saddle tank so lets see how that works, it will certainly make painting easier but I should have split the chimney into a separate piece, it's way higher than anything else so may add 2 hours to the print run time.

As this is a one off test piece I've gone with densely packed support material

image.png.6cf48f81693c4214f62a7f2e51ed0422.png

I'll print the safety valve, spectacle plate and boiler back plate on a separate run along with any parts I want to change or that printed poorly from this batch

Edited by Adam FW
  • Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold

The first Manning Wardle test pieces came off the printer a couple of hours ago, they need longer to cure in the sun as it's been so dim today (I should really get a UV lamp at some point) but I couldn't resist a test fit

IMG_0519.jpg.7700c11e1f25c2b7e70c03fedc8a35ac.jpgIMG_0516.jpg.65462e35ff0f600f826017335537c584.jpg

IMG_0518.jpg.5fb9e895478e42a074106bd58234c0a6.jpgIMG_0517.jpg.7794e66631250be58c6479f6764f430c.jpgIMG_0516.jpg.65462e35ff0f600f826017335537c584.jpgIMG_0515.jpg.0da90f403847a413c727a6d7f87964c6.jpg

I'm happy with the running board, bunker and 'cab' side panels but the saddle tank needs work. it's too flimsy and the boiler extension side pieces (to blend in with the boiler detail on the terrier chassis) were too thin. I think I also need to increase clearances around the chassis, its a bit too tight even before paint.

On the plus side the details look excellent, every rivet is well defined, the flat sides look nice and smooth, the vertical handrail holes and the hand brake lever are intact and you can make out all of the leaf spring layers

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

11 hours ago, Adam FW said:

The first Manning Wardle test pieces came off the printer a couple of hours ago, they need longer to cure in the sun as it's been so dim today (I should really get a UV lamp at some point) but I couldn't resist a test fit

IMG_0519.jpg.7700c11e1f25c2b7e70c03fedc8a35ac.jpgIMG_0516.jpg.65462e35ff0f600f826017335537c584.jpg

IMG_0518.jpg.5fb9e895478e42a074106bd58234c0a6.jpgIMG_0517.jpg.7794e66631250be58c6479f6764f430c.jpgIMG_0516.jpg.65462e35ff0f600f826017335537c584.jpgIMG_0515.jpg.0da90f403847a413c727a6d7f87964c6.jpg

I'm happy with the running board, bunker and 'cab' side panels but the saddle tank needs work. it's too flimsy and the boiler extension side pieces (to blend in with the boiler detail on the terrier chassis) were too thin. I think I also need to increase clearances around the chassis, its a bit too tight even before paint.

On the plus side the details look excellent, every rivet is well defined, the flat sides look nice and smooth, the vertical handrail holes and the hand brake lever are intact and you can make out all of the leaf spring layers

I am very impressed at the quality of this print, and, particularly, how the springs and the terminal points for the cab hand rails have succeeded. 

It's a great design, BTW.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
45 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

I am very impressed at the quality of this print, and, particularly, how the springs and the terminal points for the cab hand rails have succeeded. 

It's a great design, BTW.

Thanks, I'm really impressed with it to. I don't have many pictures of the raw prints from my old printer to compare but this new one is brilliant so far and a definite step up in quality particularly on flat sided shapes where the print layers are much subtler.

the terminations for the vertical handrails were designed as a test bed to see how I could make them function on a different model I've been working on as a collaboration with another modeller. So there are multiple different solutions I'd designed to try it out, sadly due to my Anycubic Photon playing up the collaboration got printed first without all the experimenting. But in the end simply having a bulbous end with a hole through it (sort of like a donut) worked and they don't even need drilling out though

I'll show the collaboration off once the prints are with both of us involved and we're both happy with it as we have grand plans for the model

The springs were me pushing my luck with such thinly supported small details knowing that if the test prints didn't work I could easily change the design to be chunkier and less detailed or remove the springs entirely but to my surprise they worked fine, but I think I need to move them outwards slightly to clear the boiler more easily

The test print has worked brilliantly as it's highlighted multiple problems to rectify, mostly around the firebox area as I must have messed up a chassis measurement around there as the print doesn't fit right at all. But is also proves there space for a decoder which was a concern

The best image I've got showing what the printer can do is this safety valve, it's on a cotton ear bud for scale and so you can see it (it's a printed part, not earwax, honest) but you can make out the coils to imitate the springs and this thing is minuscule

IMG_0419.jpg.53097f88ab578a1879a73885aad2a35d.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Adam FW said:

the terminations for the vertical handrails ...  don't even need drilling out though

The springs ...

The best image I've got showing what the printer can do is this safety valve, it's on a cotton ear bud for scale and so you can see it (it's a printed part, not earwax, honest) but you can make out the coils to imitate the springs and this thing is minuscule

Amazing results

• Like 1

Adam, I've just been catching up with this thread - your models are superb! I've still got my L plates on when it comes to the CAD element of this at the moment, but I'm making progress. I intend (alright....been intending for a while without actually doing anything about it) to print parts for my 7mm scale models and then cast them into brass or bronze. The Mars Pro is on my shopping list, but I didn't think this was available (in the UK at least) yet? Can I ask where you got yours from?

John

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, jdb82 said:

Adam, I've just been catching up with this thread - your models are superb! I've still got my L plates on when it comes to the CAD element of this at the moment, but I'm making progress. I intend (alright....been intending for a while without actually doing anything about it) to print parts for my 7mm scale models and then cast them into brass or bronze. The Mars Pro is on my shopping list, but I didn't think this was available (in the UK at least) yet? Can I ask where you got yours from?

John

Thanks John

I got it from 3Djake for around £275 (the week before it was listed as £260 and I felt like a fool for not ordering it then)

https://www.3djake.uk/elegoo/mars-pro

it was listed as a pre-order for release on 08/06/2020 but it was dispatched to me a few weeks early for some reason (not that I'm complaining). It's now listed for dispatch on the 26/06/2020 so I guess they sold out of their first batch. I believe there were some released back in Jan/Feb hence why there have been some listed for crazy prices on ebay

Be aware that my one came with a European rather than British plug so I had to swap part of the power lead with the one off my anycubic photon, also unlike the anycubic it doesn't come with a resin sample so you have to buy your own along with IPA and a vat to clean the parts in (sealed sandwich boxes work well, but a sistema 'pickle pot' is better and comes with a strainer, though large parts are a bit of a squeeze)

Some words of advice, prints will fail, accept it and these are hobby machines, they aren't perfect and they aren't fool proof

When you get your first printer don't rush in head first, take your time and learn how to set up your printer correctly (youtube tutorials are a godsend for this) and support your designs in the slicer software. Only print small numbers of pieces to begin with, it will seem slow but it's better than spending hours cramming everything onto one print and seeing a complete failure (it's also less expensive), doing it a piece or 2 at a time will help you to understand why pieces fail and how best to fix it, also consider supporting some pieces manually it helps to understand where to put supports yourself so you can identify where the auto-support function messes up and needs help. I find failures are nearly always due to the poor support material or setting up the print bed wrongly

• Informative/Useful 1

1 minute ago, Adam FW said:

Thanks John

I got it from 3Djake for around £275 (the week before it was listed as £260 and I felt like a fool for not ordering it then)

https://www.3djake.uk/elegoo/mars-pro

it was listed as a pre-order for release on 08/06/2020 but it was dispatched to me a few weeks early for some reason (not that I'm complaining). It's now listed for dispatch on the 26/06/2020 so I guess they sold out of their first batch. I believe there were some released back in Jan/Feb hence why there have been some listed for crazy prices on ebay

Be aware that my one came with a European rather than British plug so I had to swap part of the power lead with the one off my anycubic photon, also unlike the anycubic it doesn't come with a resin sample so you have to buy your own along with IPA and a vat to clean the parts in (sealed sandwich boxes work well, but a sistema 'pickle pot' is better and comes with a strainer, though large parts are a bit of a squeeze)

Some words of advice, prints will fail, accept it and these are hobby machines, they aren't perfect and they aren't fool proof

When you get your first printer don't rush in head first, take your time and learn how to set up your printer correctly (youtube tutorials are a godsend for this) and support your designs in the slicer software. Only print small numbers of pieces to begin with, it will seem slow but it's better than spending hours cramming everything onto one print and seeing a complete failure (it's also less expensive), doing it a piece or 2 at a time will help you to understand why pieces fail and how best to fix it, also consider supporting some pieces manually it helps to understand where to put supports yourself so you can identify where the auto-support function messes up and needs help. I find failures are nearly always due to the poor support material or setting up the print bed wrongly

Sounds like good advice - thanks! 

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, RedGemAlchemist said:

Either that or digging through a number of beehives.

strangely enough this stuff does have a slightly sweet smell to it once it's cured

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

It’s taken a bit of experimenting but I think I’ve got a working dovetail socket for Hornby/Bachman style NEM couplings at last.

4296070A-C2EC-4E72-BC4A-5D1535F00F69.jpeg.270a2f58bbd91ffed2e295e7e4417151.jpeg

its a shame these aren’t standard or universal, I snapped a dovetail in a Hornby peckett b2 a couple of weeks ago, turns out the peckett dovetail and socket is slightly smaller than any other I’ve seen and even differs from the Hornby terrier. God knows why 1 manufacturer has 2 different but very similar standard parts (top one is off the peckett bottom is off the terrier)

78970943-AAF2-44A9-A2FA-3F071EA95560.jpeg.3aca68635ab0d7e8865fd270e17bdbda.jpeg

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

After the test print showed a couple of problem areas that I fixed in CAD I’ve done a final print and loose fitted every part of my manning wardle together

FFEE59A0-F679-45A7-9755-BF2931EA50F6.jpeg.e77af814fc3f068820eb1c4d4b4de93b.jpeg9ADF77A0-095E-425B-9107-7B7A0754463E.jpeg.84b30e64e786890bc7e0090c5f865b1e.jpeg8A7E1CA3-D79E-461A-85B8-5E99709AEF8B.jpeg.32c513431a2fdf1f5aa5b67b22ba3cba.jpegCEF7403C-D69E-402E-A7D8-A1AC0B324FEB.jpeg.2714678288b8908fdb1c114867324512.jpeg

I’ve got some filing and sanding to do before painting but I’m very pleased with it. 

Up next is the nerve wracking bit. I’ve got to take a saw to the terrier chassis. It’s front and rear overhangs are too long for this body shell

Edited by Adam FW
  • Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

That's looking like a really nice model! I'm currently (paused at the moment) building an L class, and am part way through designing some etches for an old i-class. Love a good Manning Wardle!