Lima Class 47 Buffers

Good Morning, I've just joined the forum and this is my first post, so please don't be too hard on me!

I couldn't see an 'Introduce Yourself' thread, so I'll provide a bit of context on my background. I use to have a nice setup in the mid 80's whilst I was a teenager and recently I uncovered some of my old set during a loft clearance which consisted of an APT, 2 HSTs, a Deltic  and an 09 shunter, plus a bit of rolling stock. I thought I'd have a go at restoring the set whilst sticking to that mid 80's theme. The Deltic is green and doesn't appear to match the era, so I've just bought a blue Lima Class 47 which needs a bit of work.

The Lima Class 47 needs replacement buffers, which I've read on here actually forms part of the fixings between the chasis and the body. I've sourced the replacements but I don't like the look of them as they are cast metal and don't look to be finished very well. I've also seen some 'Hornby Class 47 buffers' which look much nicer and are plastic - will these fit?

Also, I have a question on fitting these with them being part of the fixtures between body and chasis, are these to be glued in?

Edited by APT Fan
typo
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, APT Fan said:

Good Morning, I've just joined the forum and this is my first post, so please don't be too hard on me!

I couldn't see an 'Introduce Yourself' thread, so I'll provide a bit of context on my background. I use to have a nice setup in the mid 80's whilst I was a teenager and recently I uncovered some of my old set during a loft clearance which consisted of an APT, 2 HSTs, a Deltic  and an 09 shunter, plus a bit of rolling stock. I thought I'd have a go at restoring the set whilst sticking to that mid 80's theme. The Deltic is green and doesn't appear to match the era, so I've just bought a blue Lima Class 47 which needs a bit of work.

The Lima Class 47 needs replacement buffers, which I've read on here actually forms part of the fixings between the chasis and the body. I've sourced the replacements but I don't like the look of them as they are cast metal and don't look to be finished very well. I've also seen some 'Hornby Class 47 buffers' which look much nicer and are plastic - will these fit?

Also, I have a question on fitting these with them being part of the fixtures between body and chasis, are these to be glued in?

Welcome to RMWEB APT.

Where did you source the buffers from? Whitemetal often have residual ridges and bumps from the casting process that can taken back with some light filing. Painting the buffer but leaving the shank bare metal should lead to a life like finish. 

Whichever method you choose, i hope you are successful. 

5 hours ago, westernviscount said:

Welcome to RMWEB APT.

Where did you source the buffers from? Whitemetal often have residual ridges and bumps from the casting process that can taken back with some light filing. Painting the buffer but leaving the shank bare metal should lead to a life like finish. 

Whichever method you choose, i hope you are successful. 

Thank you!

I haven't bought the buffers yet but found the metal Lima one's at Hatton's (see link above) and the Hornby plastic one's on Ebay. Both items are 'Peters Spares' so I've emailed them directly for advice. I was thinking about what GWR-fan said in that these are push fit which suggests they are an interference fit so they need to be the correct item. This might sound a bit daft but rather than glue, I was going to use a bit of silicon sealer, I tend to use this approach when I want to secure something whilst allowing relatively easy removal.

I must say that it is nice to see that Hatton's is still going albeit online only, which is a bit of a shame. I used to love going to their shop in Smithdown Road, Liverpool and I'd say that the majority of my models were purchased there. A few new one's but most were second hand, usually with a few bits missing, but all I could afford at the time. Those old model shops were great!

I'm very impressed with this Lima Class 47, the detailing is very good and much better than earlier Lima's. I'm a fan of the 47 but I always thought the Hornby model (R.075?) was awful, very crude and boxy and the body just didn't seem to sit right above the bogies. I was reading on here about the 'paint guides' on the body which I always thought a bit odd, but never worked out why they were there until now.   

Guest Half-full

Hi APT Fan

Welcome to RMWeb and welcome back to railway modelling

The Hornby 47 buffers do push in, but the holes in the chassis frame will need reamed out a little bit.  Note that the Hornby buffers are a little short in length, but good enough to complete the 47.

Of all the 47's available, I still think the LIma moulding is the best, with the Vi-Trains running a close second.  Adding wire handrails and lamp irons to the cab front is an easy, quick upgrade, which can really lift the look of the loco.  Hornby Railroad Class 47's use the LIma bodyshell and chassis/bogie mouldings (though they are changed a bit to accommodate the new motor)

Hatton's do still have a bricks and mortar shop, in WIdnes, though they are operating online only during this virus crisis.

Sorry APT i mis-read it. Those metal lima buffers look awful. I know these things can get a bit confusing if lots of people throw different ideas at you. 

Romford do oleos and are sold here..

https://www.hamodels.net/romford-oleo-buffers-black.html

It is years since i had a lima 47 but it was a superb model. I don't recall how it all fitted together I'm afraid. I also had a Hornby 47 which was originally quite rough which my dad repainted into intercity and named it galloway princess. He sanded all the paint lines and fitted flush glaze which was above and beyond really as i am sure i was only 6 or 7 but it must have had a huge impact on me!! In fact i have created a forum about modelling memories which i must include this in!!!

Returning to this hobby is such a good thing and i hope your 47 progresses nicely!

1 hour ago, APT Fan said:

I'm very impressed with this Lima Class 47, the detailing is very good and much better than earlier Lima's. I'm a fan of the 47 but I always thought the Hornby model (R.075?) was awful, very crude and boxy and the body just didn't seem to sit right above the bogies. I was reading on here about the 'paint guides' on the body which I always thought a bit odd, but never worked out why they were there until now.   

The buffers do indeed hold the body onto the chassis. Do not be tempted to glue these because you will make a mess if you ever need to remove the body again.

This is the only model I am aware of which fits together this way.

They seem to squeeze through & 'plop' into place.

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, Pete the Elaner said:

The buffers do indeed hold the body onto the chassis. Do not be tempted to glue these because you will make a mess if you ever need to remove the body again.

Ah no Heljan Clayton is the same Pete ... the buffers and 4 clips between body and chassis. I ditch the buffer arrangement and rely on the clips which are all the other Heljan locos we have use.

Does the Lima 47 have clips too? 

• Informative/Useful 1

10 hours ago, APT Fan said:

These listed Buffers for the Hornby 47 do indeed fit the Lima Class 47, as they are the same model!

Lima went into receivership and Hornby bought up the company and have re-issued certain Models under the Hornby Branding changing  the Motor and drive system where necessary.

HTH

Meld

• Informative/Useful 1

38 minutes ago, Pete the Elaner said:

The Lima Class 20 uses the same buffers which hold the body on in the same way.

• Agree 1

I had exactly the same issue. To be clear, there are two types of  Hornby Class 47.  There are versions made from original Hornby tooling (now retired) - these buffers DO NOT fit the Lima Class 47.

However, Hornby also own the ex-Lima tooling and have reissued the Lima model in the Hornby Railroad range. The buffers for these are identical to the Lima ones and fit a Lima model.

• Craftsmanship/clever 1

1 hour ago, westernviscount said:

Returning to this hobby is such a good thing and i hope your 47 progresses nicely!

The plan is to fit lighting and eventually DCC, I've an electronics background, so I'm comfortable with that side. I fitted the four HST cars out with led's last week and the effect is fantastic, although I think the led units that they sell should be fitted with better low pass filtering, but that should be an easy fix. It was great getting the soldering iron out again! The DCC side should give me a chance to use my software skills, I've already had a Traintronics signal operating from my laptop via an Arduino, so there is plenty of fun in store.

I'm really not confident about repairing bodywork or painting at the moment, I'm going to buy aerosol paints to give me the option of spraying or bushing.

Edited by APT Fan
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

10 hours ago, APT Fan said:

Thanks for the reply. Yes! they are the one's that I've spotted - will they fit the Lima? These are the one's listed for Lima:-

I was aware that Hornby had made its own class 47,  but as the listing description states that the buffers fit both class 47 and class 20 and Hornby's release of a class 20 was the ex-Lima model,  then these buffers should fit.  As stated by another,  the original Lima buffers and those that were once listed for sale by Peters Spares were the longer shank version, whereas the current version have a shorter shank length. 

Hi @APTfan I'm same boat as you thinking of returning to the hobby after about 20 years, I've got two of those Lima 47s with etched brass replacement grilles with working fans on little motors. I've got at least 9 good locos and 3 multiple units and an HST, all hardly used, been in boxes in the loft for 20 years .....I'm avoiding getting my stuff from the loft because I don't want the disappointment if I don't have any track (can't afford to buy any at present) can't remember exactly what is up there.... getting more tempted every day,.... sooner or later with all the good stuff I'm seeing from other modellers, I'll have to climb up and retrieve the boxes.

3 hours ago, Lee Clarke said:

Hi @APTfan I'm same boat as you thinking of returning to the hobby after about 20 years, I've got two of those Lima 47s with etched brass replacement grilles with working fans on little motors. I've got at least 9 good locos and 3 multiple units and an HST, all hardly used, been in boxes in the loft for 20 years .....I'm avoiding getting my stuff from the loft because I don't want the disappointment if I don't have any track (can't afford to buy any at present) can't remember exactly what is up there.... getting more tempted every day,.... sooner or later with all the good stuff I'm seeing from other modellers, I'll have to climb up and retrieve the boxes.

It does seem a shame to simply leave them in storage, they were designed for action. I think one of the most important parts of owning a set is building it up and developing it further and budget is very important, we all have to start somewhere and usually that means modest beginings. At the moment despite having some nice pieces, I only have a first radius loop fitted to a board made from scrap wood from my shed. I can pack the board away against a wall after use, eventually I'd like to move the layout to the loft but have a lot of work to do before I can get there.  

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
58 minutes ago, APT Fan said:

It does seem a shame to simply leave them in storage, they were designed for action. I think one of the most important parts of owning a set is building it up and developing it further and budget is very important, we all have to start somewhere and usually that means modest beginings. At the moment despite having some nice pieces, I only have a first radius loop fitted to a board made from scrap wood from my shed. I can pack the board away against a wall after use, eventually I'd like to move the layout to the loft but have a lot of work to do before I can get there.  

I can’t have a permanent layout but for a test track I use Kato HO track ... the HV5 set is a good start 

• RMweb Gold
On 09/05/2020 at 14:15, westernviscount said:

Whitemetal often have residual ridges and bumps from the casting process that can taken back with some light filing.

Nooooo, please, nooooo.

Put the buffer in a pin vice and whilst holding it vertically, gently rub it an off centre circular motion on a padded piece of fine abrasive such as a sponge manicure board. A lot easier to control, and you can get the domed effect without much effort.

Lanarkshire Model Supplies do locomotive Oleo buffers of both sizes.

Mike.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
58 minutes ago, APT Fan said:

I can’t have a permanent layout but for a test track I use Kato HO track ... the HV5 set is a good start 

18 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Nooooo, please, nooooo.

Put the buffer in a pin vice and whilst holding it vertically, gently rub it an off centre circular motion on a padded piece of fine abrasive such as a sponge manicure board. A lot easier to control, and you can get the domed effect without much effort.

Lanarkshire Model Supplies do locomotive Oleo buffers of both sizes.

Mike.

Ha ha ha, yes yes Mike i mis-spoke (tyoed) when saying filing! I actually use these...

https://www.hobbycraft.co.uk/modelcraft-extra-flexi-slim_line-sanders-3-pack/643084-1000?_br_psugg_q=sanding+tools

I got them free from a woodworking magazine as it happens. 

cheers for now. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

I am doing a Lima 47, and had the same problem to find decent authentic looking buffers.  I eventually discovered the SLW do the correct oleo buffers as an accessory.  

The Oleo buffers are very distinctive so you need decent ones. The original Lima buffers look good but are plastic, so are rubbish really.  They do indeed hold the body in place , but I will find an alternative method achieving that. 

The Slw buffers are sprung and look the dogs b+++++s  Don't bother with anything else. White metal or whatever.

If you look at Phil Bullocks post he has given you a link .

Rob 

• Agree 1

The Hornby buffers fit the Lima perfectly, a nice interference fit with long shafts extending and securing the body to the chassis. Looks pretty good to me and I think this loco could have the potential to detail up towards the rascal in the picture next to it.

Class47.jpg

Edited by APT Fan
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 09/05/2020 at 11:45, APT Fan said:

Hello I’m new too but I am missing a buffer off a Lima 47 and mine to remove the body you need to remove the buffers no need to glue I am a newbie to modelling so please tell me how to get buffers and if you wanted to know I am replacing my buffers (as they are green which sticks out like a sore thumb).

Hi all,

Ok the best place I have found to get just about any thing spares wise is Peters Spares. The shop is unfortunately shut at the moment. But the do sell via Ebay. I managed to get a set of class 47 buffers from them that way. So this is their Ebay items for sale listing.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/petersspares/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=

and this is their Ebay shop listing.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/peterssparesmodelrailwaysltd