3D printer for O gauge stock

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

A limited number of Elegoo Saturns are now in stock with some retailers like 3D Print Monkey, priced at £410, great price. Not really big enough for O gauge bodies without breaking bits up, but still good for a mid-size printer. 

13 hours ago, Furness Wagon said:

Not big enough for modern stock but for early o gauge stock is ok. I can even prong G1 wagons.

Marc

Out of curiosity what do you reckon the maximum size model could comfortable be done on the printer please?

• RMweb Premium
On 10/12/2020 at 11:53, 37114 said:

Out of curiosity what do you reckon the maximum size model could comfortable be done on the printer please?

The volume is 192*120*200mm, and you can basically use every millimetre. Given you don't want to print things flat you can get a reasonable amount in there - a 4-wheeled wagon would be fine, bogie wagons are a problem.

To sort of answer than question here's a JHA bogie wagon, it's 321mm over buffers. It doesn't fit on the Saturn in one piece (the red bit is outside of the print area):

50706249791_043234bc23.jpgJHA Saturn by njee20, on Flickr

On the Peopoly Phenom by comparison (~£1,500) you can fit two, side by side, quite comfortably:

50706334377_003f9a57cb.jpgJHA Phenom by njee20, on Flickr

It's worth noting the first batch of production Saturns landed yesterday, and promptly sold out. They were £410, which is a crazy bargain IMO, and puts it about £150 below the Anycubic Photon X.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 12/12/2020 at 13:39, njee20 said:

The Anycubic Plant Based stuff, you mean? I'd worry about its longevity. But possibly not for any real reason.

Because it’s biodegradable, I’ve asked a couple of times about this, but unfortunately I’ve not had any replies.

In the Mars thread a video was posted about this as I asked the question there as well. While its better than the normal water washable resin there are still a lot of question that need answering. ie were is the Soya sourced from. etc

Marc 

I think you've misses the point. PLA is only biodegradable under special circumstances, ie you can't just throw it on your compost heap and expect it to dissolve. A resin with only the plasticiser made from organic materials is not going to be any better, and is probably much worse, at degrading. 

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, njee20 said:

But the Anycubic plant-based resin is sold as being compostable.

There is a link on RMWeb of a video by an American chemist here https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3Dht4tbCiFxeM%26fbclid%3DIwAR0CFXMRdVbalYAU1boNucBYMQS3lb96LZFMJCvmbBZ1JeHMEFYE3WXITEI%26app%3Ddesktop&ved=2ahUKEwjz24mT4PjtAhVQUMAKHf6pALsQwqsBMAB6BAgBEAM&usg=AOvVaw22ZKhbPLRTHejSICfDcMPT,  who very politely, says that is not true.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

23:30 for his summation to save you effort. He says you shouldn't go spreading it on your garden, which isn't quite the same, but yes, I accept the eco credentials are (perhaps unsurprisingly) wildly overstated!

• Funny 1