Hymek Deliveries

I've heard it said that brand new Hymeks were delivered to the Western Region via the GC mainline in the early 1960s. I've never seen a picture of one, is it true? I think they were built in the Manchester area so it could be, in which case presumably they went via Woodhead as well.

• RMweb Gold

They were built at Beyer-Peacock’s eork at Gorton, Manchester, which was just across the GC main line from that company’s Gorton works.  I believe they were delivered via the GC main line to Banbury, from where they were forwarded to their allocated depot. 

10 hours ago, Andrea506 said:

I remember the York-Bournmouth at Nottingham Victoria, my dad used to take us to see it. But the only other trains I remember were very dirty steamers! 

That was the beauty of the GC in my opinion, never really suffered the diesel take over, although possibly worse was the decimation of the route when the Midland region took over.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, Andrea506 said:

I remember the York-Bournmouth at Nottingham Victoria, my dad used to take us to see it. But the only other trains I remember were very dirty steamers! 

The York - Bournemouth went over to diesel haulage south of Sheffield in its later years on the GC - worked by a Darnall EE Type3. (Class 37 for younger readers) which worked through to Banbury the last couple of times I travelled on it.

• Like 2

I assume all the Hymeks would have been delivered to Swindon for acceptance testing. I recall a new pair of them at Sandy Lane crossing near Yarnton back in 1962. We were quite fortunate near to where we lived as most of the WR Brush Type 4's and EE type 3's seemed to have been delivered via the GC and on to the WR via Banbury.

21 minutes ago, Michael Edge said:

Manchester - Derby via the Midland was the first leg of this delivery, there was some test running on this line as well.

Michael, are you sure about this being part of their delivery route? I thought they were tested over the Peak Forest line, then would return to BP at Gorton for their actual delivery run.

• RMweb Gold
51 minutes ago, BrushVeteran said:

I assume all the Hymeks would have been delivered to Swindon for acceptance testing. I recall a new pair of them at Sandy Lane crossing near Yarnton back in 1962. We were quite fortunate near to where we lived as most of the WR Brush Type 4's and EE type 3's seemed to have been delivered via the GC and on to the WR via Banbury.

The procedure was that a WR Loco Inspector (a running Inspector not an engineering type) plus a Driver would go to BP's works to take delivery of the locos.  Usually on their arrival at the factory the locos would be outside running up & down and being run in multiple if there was more than one to collect.  I don't know which route they took (but the previously listed photos tell that story) but on arrival on the WR they went straight to Swindon for acceptance checks including a test run before being sent to their allocated depot or being sent to wherever they would be based for Driver training.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
48 minutes ago, Peter Kazmierczak said:

Michael, are you sure about this being part of their delivery route? I thought they were tested over the Peak Forest line, then would return to BP at Gorton for their actual delivery run.

No I'm not that sure but I've never seen any photos of Hymeks on any other possible route from Gorton.

6 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

The York - Bournemouth went over to diesel haulage south of Sheffield in its later years on the GC - worked by a Darnall EE Type3. (Class 37 for younger readers) which worked through to Banbury the last couple of times I travelled on it.

In the final year Brush Type 4s took over (class 47), can't remember seeing one of those.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

AFAIK they were test run to Derby and return on the Midland route with a train of ecs or spare parcels stock while in primer, and returned to B-P for painting before delivery, to Banbury direct from the factory at Gorton via the GC route.  A test run is not the same as a delivery run, as the loco has not been formally handed over to BR, and is still B-P property and responsibility.  BR acceptance trials take place after it has taken delivery, and possession, of the loco, which is under full warranty as specified in the contract.  I am not aware of any Hymek being returned to B-P, but there may well have been instances where B-P's engineers were called out to see to them.

I seem to recall seeing them in pairs waiting in the middle road at Oxford before going to Swindon via Didcot west curve. I am pretty sure it was on a Wednesday afternoon that I would see them but it could have been on Saturdays. ( whilst catching the train from Oxford (School) to Didcot (Home).

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1