Harts Hill an 0 gauge Black Country micro plus Hookton and Lipp Vale

Sorry to read you'd lost all interest in your layout build but it is understandable with all the hospital cancellations etc.  Very glad to read that you are now in a better place, nice and easy does it.

I look forward to your "field reports" from Hookton.

Regards

Edited by Barnaby
s missing

Thanks Barnaby,for your supoort. Just a couple or so of photos of the last two days in the workshop. The Baldwin is a WrightLines kit fitted with a potescape RG4. You can see the canalside factories for Harts Hill in the background.

IMG_1892.JPG

IMG_1893.JPG

IMG_1894.JPG

IMG_1895.JPG

Edited by Mike
spelling error
  • Like 12

• Mike changed the title to Harts Hill an 0 gauge Black Country micro plus Hookton and Lipp Vale

All the track is now laid but requires the check rails fitting and sleepers to be gapped. Point motors already fitted so hopefully wiring can be completed by the weekend. Track infill will then be fitted and ground levels established. Buildings just plonked.

IMG-1898.jpg

IMG-1899.jpg

IMG-1900.jpg

• Like 7

I now have received permission from Bernard Cornwell to use the name Hookton and the Lipp. I thought that as it is in his novels that it was the correct thing to do. I have had trains running albeit with a jury rig wiring arrangement but at least I know it works as it should. I'll post some photos and video soon. I'm also thinking about scene 2 on the nxt board which will be  the Lipp and a small station but, that's for the new year

Edited by Mike
Spelling
  • Like 5

Hello Mike!

I like your way of modeling very much! :good:

I‘m looking forward to see how your narrow-gauge project will continue!

Wish you a lot of fun and success in modeling on!

Oh by the way, I like the books  of Bernard Cornwell also very much...:rolleyes:

Best regards, ThomasG

Thank you ThomasG, a bit more of the background to the layout: 

The village consists of perhaps that should read will consist of, the Harbour Office, The Anchor Inn (Palmers of Bridport), Saint Andrews Church, Post Office, Watkins*and Potts Chandlery, Legg’s boats, Crumplers General Stores, and dwellings of the locals, namely John Higgins, Harry Bugler, Peter Wellman, and Francis Blake. As usual I have moved thing about such as The Anchor Inn is from Seatown (Bridport) and is in fact owned by Palmers brewing in Dorset since 1794. (Note the names are Dorset Surnames with the exception of Watkins and Potts)

In my usual style I have created the story first before commencing the modelling in 0-16.5. I have constructed the baseboard all 4ft x 3ft of it by mainly recycling the materials from my old layout New Level Mill and I have built and laid the trackwork to a simple inglenook design. All the track is code 100 rail soldered to copper clad sleepers, the two points are operated by Cobalt point motors and control is analogue. (So, the only chips will be with a nice steak, a piece of fish or maybe a pie. No fancy electrickery required.) Oh. and you can never have to many locomotives (see photos)

* Watkins is the surname of my dear friend Barrie affectionately known as Chisel Chin.  Both he and Dick Potts are ex Railwaymen so it seemed right to use their names.

PC120132.JPG.3f6b11739254c2b5be7ff7f417962afd.JPG 

PC120133.JPG

PC120130.JPG

Edited by Mike
spelling error
  • Like 12
  • Agree 1

Hooray for pinking shears!  From the depths of her sewing basket my good lady kindly allowed me to use them. So why would I need them? Flashing strips on chimney stacks, simples.:D Now to detail the ridges and paint, I might even finish the building.

IMG-1927.jpg

IMG-1928.jpg

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 8

Those buildings look very fitting Mike. 

I have a few Petite carcasses to place about my back scene along with some from Lcut, Intentio etc plus others so I can break up any apparent uniformity of build.   

Merry Christmas to you and yours and may 2021 bring in a much healthier year.

Best

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Thanks Barnaby, Happy New Year. Lets hope for better things to come in 2021. My good lady gave me a Little Acorns School kit by Petite Models as one of my Christmas presents which I am now in the process of converting into St Andrews Church (Chapel). Gone is the toilet block and a doorway in the end wall which now has a new east window inserted. I had hoped just to swop the ends round but decided against it as the design meant fiddling about with the base etc.  I'll post some progress photos by the weekend along with the Harbour Masters office. Once my Liteply arrives I can add the higher level roadway and finish the ground work. For a change it's not a race to get it all finished for an exhibition deadline, so I really am taking my time. 

Mike completely chilled in the chilly workshop.

Edited by Mike
spelling error
  • Like 2

Buildings update. The Chapel (Little Acorns School) has moved on, lots to do like improving the corner quoins. New East window cut and ready for the new frame and stained glass, round window still to be fitted in the West end but, I'm getting there.

IMG-1940.jpg

IMG-1941.jpg

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

A bit more tweeking, half relief now 360, single small cottage now semi detached cottages. Shown plonked on my under contruction " Hookton"  note to self: really must finish the detailing and weathering of the buildings let alone progressing the actual railway.

IMG-1961.jpg

IMG-1962.jpg

IMG-1963.jpg

• Like 12

• 4 weeks later...

Some times life throws a curved ball. In my case it was the result of my CT scan. Ok. not unexpected was the Idiopathic Pulmonary fibrosis. What was a suprise  was that scan threw up a heart condition so I'm now under the care of the cardiology consultant.  Modelling will now take a back seat just for while, but in the words from the film" I'll be back,so watch this space. Never say never again.:D Just playing around with colours.

IMG-1976.jpg

Edited by Mike
spelling error
  • Friendly/supportive 9

"Hart" the model is looking good Mike.

Best wishes for your "heart" health to be looking good also Mike.

I have to medicate and suffer regular check on my heart too, I feel fine in myself and don't suffer any difficulties with the physical side of life but the regular checks have revealed that i need to tweak some of my medication and try to up my exercise some more.

Take care.

Regards