Harts Hill an 0 gauge Black Country micro plus Hookton and Lipp Vale

Thank you all for your best wishes and support. My problem is a combination of the lung scaring and ticker trouble which leaves me breathless and tired, but I'm sure they will sort me out. ECG Thursday , hospital on 22nd March.

cheers

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

Hi Mike

All the best with your health and all the medical checks. Difficult stuff in difficult times. 

As a distraction (and purely for my own selfish knowledge!) could I ask what stone/brick covering you have used on the warehouses and the church?  It looks very effective in the pictures.  I went through the posts and I couldn't see anything on it.  I was probably man-looking.

All the best

Andy

Aha! Thanks Mike. I went to the link. Looks great. Thanks for pointing me to that. I really like the fact that even if you are not full-on modelling you are helping others with passing on what you have learned and your experience. It's a great thing in my opinion and I hope you get some good feeling from it because, personally, I really appreciate it!

All the best

Andy

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Messing about with a few bits and bobs nothing too stressful. Everything works as it should first time, which is

an absolute first for me. Although I did waste 90 minutes trying to sort out a perceived track problem only to find that the loco I was using  to test that all was well had oversized flanges, rewheel or new chassis coming up.

photos showing just plonked buildings etc.

IMG-1993.jpg

IMG-1994.jpg

IMG-1995.jpg

• Like 8
  • Round of applause 2

Today I have mostly been playing trains. Here is a few of the locomotive stock ( there is another 5). If I feel like it tomorrow I will start on the raised area and complete the road way over the next week.

IMG-1998.jpg

IMG-1999.jpg

Edited by Mike
spelling errors
  • Like 9

I haven't checked in to Harts Hill for a little while. It's all looking great, as ever. You may think you're only doing "bits & bobs" - but it's more modelling than I'm managing.... so keep dabbling Mike.

Sorry to hear of your health issues. Fingers crossed that you continue to get well.
Cheers now, Marc

• Thanks 1

Just trying what will be the raised section buidings in the background are a scale 2 metres higher but, maybe the height will be increased by another metre.

IMG-2003 (1)_Moment.jpg

Edited by Mike
omitted dialogue
  • Like 5

Looking good Mike.

Yes a little more height would be better even maybe double the present but it is difficult to assess from the photo. Is that photo taken at the expected viewing height?

Regards

Edited by Barnaby

Hi Barnaby, the photo/happy snap was taken well above the veiwing height so maybe the effect I'm after is somewhat lost. I have to be careful with the height as the road way needs to decend to track level in a realative short distance and can't be too steep. I have, as you do, beee thinking, wow! that's a first, about my phillosophy of modelling, so here goes:-

I cannot claim to be a railway modeller as I do not really model railways. I have scratch-built locomotives, made my own trackwork, built baseboards and scratch- built structures all of which are just part of a process.

I start with a place, a period in history, a community. I follow the seven W’s system. What, where, when, which, who, why and not forgetting how. The W is at the end of how.  So, the railway is coincidental as it arrived last and is Just a part of the whole.

Deep and meaningful for a Monday morning:whistle:

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

1 hour ago, Mike said:

I follow the seven W’s system. What, where, when, which, who, why and not forgetting how. The W is at the end of how.  So, the railway is coincidental as it arrived last and is Just a part of the whole.

There's an eighth 'W' for your layouts Mike....

Wow!! :yes:  ;) :locomotive:  :sungum:

Edited by F-UnitMad
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

Yes I agree with the "W" ref and follow them myself as I find that in general life they solve most issues i come across.  I also have added which into the "W" group and never understood why he hadn't included it.

If i remember correctly wasn't it Rudyard Kipling who stated those words in one of his books through my young life, fantastic they were too.  I read most of his books starting with Rikki Tikki Tavi the mongoose, they still have all the right ingredients to keep you reading till late at night.

Mike If I can achieve a fraction of your build skill and presentation I will be happy.

Best 

stay safe

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just  made a start on the the jurassic coast rock face with still loads to do but it helps in forming the scene. Heart scan tomorrow so fingers crossed I can get on and do some more modelling as the rockwork has taken 13 days so far - slowly slowly. 

IMG-2031.jpg

IMG-2032.jpg

IMG-2034.jpg

IMG-2035.jpg

IMG-2036 (1).jpg

Edited by Mike
omitted dialogue
  • Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Thanks to all for the best wishes. It was an interesting morning. Now need to wait for the results which if it is anything like last time might be several weeks. Just have to accept that the NHS is under extreme pressure due to Covid and that I'm lucky that they have found time for me. A big thumbs up from me to all the NHS. The only problem of the proceedure was having had my left arm held in a fixed position for over 40 minutes when I needed to turn onto my back my arm was dead and I needed  help to move it until the blood started to flow and the pain became bearable. Sign of old age.

image.png.a438e73be69ad1d2db5d4a03121980e7.png

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• 2 weeks later...

Had my Scan results on Tuesday, I have a couple of heart valves with slight leaks Aortic and Mitral. Now just need to see what they might not or might do just need to be patient. In the mean time I have done or perhaps that should read started Hookton Post Office and General Stores see top right of photo.

IMG-2038.jpg

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Getting on with some of the buildings to form the lefthand side of Hookton although they are just bare shells as yet.

IMG-2043.jpg

IMG-2044.jpg

Edited by Mike
spelling error
  • Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• 2 weeks later...

Just a bit more work on the location of Hooktons buildings. Nothing set in stone (excuse the pun) the cottage with the blue doors still under construction has been clad with sandpaper to create a textured surface. I hope that with some suitable washes it will look Okay.

IMG-2066.jpg

IMG-2067.jpg

IMG-2068.jpg

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2