Harts Hill an 0 gauge Black Country micro plus Hookton and Lipp Vale

Hookton update; Started adding colour to the boat. Once I have completed it I can move on to the harbour mud and grot. Meanwhile the Rio Bus bodies are soaking in Dettol to remove the paint

IMG-2176.jpg

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 1

14 hours ago, Mike said:

Hookton update; Started adding colour to the boat. Once I have completed it I can move on to the harbour mud and grot. Meanwhile the Rio Bus bodies are soaking in Dettol to remove the paint

Mike - any thoughts on how you're going to depict the harbour mud? I'm needing a small build up of creek silt at the front of mine and my experiments haven't been overly successful. I tried filler painted sandish colour and it looked too matt and too smooth. I know the texture is negligible scaled down but I think I need a hint of texture for it to look right and it needs to look damp. Was wondering about a gloopy mix of gloss varnish, chinchilla dust and weathering pigment, but yet to try.

I'm proposing to use Chinchilla dust  mixed with cork dust as a base. I think that being 0 gauge I might be able to get away with a little more texture. I too aim to use weathering pigments and washes. I will be experimenting on a trial  piece away from the layout. 

• Like 2

Just a little bit more on "Rainbow" I have decided as she will be moored I will leave the nets off and their booms lowered. Deadeyes rigging, fat fingers and failing eyesight  - Okay it's a cop out Now for the weathering and final details. The ships wheel is a Ratio plastic wagon wheel with the flange removed. In the background the railbus stripped of paint thanks to an overnight in Dettol.

IMG-2179.jpg

IMG-2180.jpg

IMG-2182.jpg

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Started to work on the harbour bottom. First experimented with colours to get the basic  effect, then I have added the ground cover which when finished will be overpainted . I have added a fall pipe discharging water into the harbour., the white glue is still wet, once dry it will be coloured with washes.

IMG-2183.jpg

IMG-2192.jpg

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

Update (too many to count) Hookton harbour and surrounds: The Rainbow  is still not fixed as I need to finish work on the buildings behind where she will be moored.

P6150172 (3).JPG

P6150173 (2).JPG

P6150176 (2).JPG

P6150180 (2).JPG

P6150178 (2).JPG

• Like 15
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• 2 weeks later...

I have to stand corrected, Captain John Frazer rtd as pointed out elsewhere has overstated his rank and is actually only a Commander He will be suitably admonished.   If he thinks I'm going to give him an extra ring, no chance.

Edited by Mike
spelling error
  • Like 1
  • Funny 1

Why oh why is it when all is  working fine , when you need to produce a video of your layout it all goes pear shaped?  Switches from the far east fail big time. From smooth trouble free running you end up with jerky stop-start rubbish. I have managed to get at least some footage transferred on to the laptop but I'm not overjoyed with the end product. Will try again today/tomorrow and see if I can get something worthwhile. Digital show time.

:angry: 

• Friendly/supportive 3

Hi Mike, a friend sent me the link to your layout build, and I can only say..... slightly spooky!

Following should be an overall photograph of my "tuning fork" (not a proper inglenook like yours) 009 layout "Wherewithial Quay" build a few years back.

You've had me looking for the pub, post office, harbour masters office and of course a tin shed, all essential ingredients. You've made a cracking job of the mud too, really well done!

I look forward to seeing more about the layout in due course.

P7220264

Regards John Bruce.

• Like 7
  • Funny 1

I liked the video Mike it does really show how much shunting interest [FUN] can be had from just a couple of points and some lengths of track.

It has set my mind a thinking...............................

Well done.

Hi Bruce, wow that really is spooky, love it.

I thought mine was a one off, but you have well and truly beaten me to it. I have a job to see 0.16.5 and I would really struggle to cope with  009. Love the harbour office and can't believe even the harbour is the same shape.

Edited by Mike
missed content
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

That's very kind of you Mike, the harbour office came I think from East Looe (Wherewithial being set in Cornwall), I couldn't resist the shape of it!

You say about the shape of the harbour being the same, I see we've even got a set of railings at the end of the harbour, mine I claimed was to stop those who have had a little too much to drink at "The Chough" falling in the drink.

I look forward to reading more on your journey.

John Bruce.

• 2 weeks later...

They say (who ever they are) you can never have too many engines, so I've had a bit of a bodge. Still W.I.P. is a

2-4-0 built from I think some Springside casting and a Hornby LMS pug. plus a cobbled together tender to become the HLVR's first wood burner. It weighs a preverbal ton and runs like a dream. Still lots to do  including adding a crew.  

new locomotive.jpg

Edited by Mike
spell check
  • Like 11