Harts Hill an 0 gauge Black Country micro plus Hookton and Lipp Vale

Finally have added the wagon transfers. The Brake van displays the number 3 but in true fashion it's the lines only one. The C.S on the opens came about from producing  a midlands base layout the Central Shires but now stands for Charles Spencer. As one of the villagers occupations was working the salt pits, I have started to build a couple of salt wagons (never having seen a narrow gauge one).

P8170067.JPG

• Like 10

• 2 weeks later...

The water tank almost complete at least it has a water gauge and hose operated by a simple gate valve, ladder for roof access etc. The building/tank support is now Leggs Boats which gives me an area for buoys, fenders and lobster pots .

leggs5.jpg

leggs6.jpg

• Like 9
  • Round of applause 2

Thought it about time that I progressed the Railbus, so here goes. The bus now is self powered and no longer relies on the powered wagon that was coupled to it. The back end needs levelling up but otherwise it's getting there.

bus1.jpg

bus2.jpg

bus3.jpg

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Leggs Boats and water tank now have boxes, lobster creels and a pair of oars. Oars have been fashioned from brass wire with the end well and truly flattened with a large hammer. my ears are still ringing. Meanwhile  the magic train conversion is still work in progress.

creels.jpg

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• 2 weeks later...

New loco under way. Resin model of Upnor Castle. Chassis built and fitted with a 35mm spud. Couplings on order still needs glazing, driver and weathering.

IMG-2276.jpg

Edited by Mike
missing text
  • Like 12

Yet another Hookton update Rebuilt the fiddle stick/sector plate and added a protective Perspex front cover. I knew the slide from my old drafting table would come in useful. 

IMG-2284.jpg

IMG-2285_Moment.jpg

IMG-2286.jpg

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...

Reworked loco on a freight  off to Parkbourne St Giles and shot up the lane. Still waiting for Peco to deliver the open wagon kits from the model shop which will be converted into salt wagons.

PA110108.jpg

PA110111.jpg

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• 2 weeks later...

Resurrecting an old model to form the maintenance of way train. Currently looks awful but runs  really well. I have also started but not yet finished modifying the open boat to a small inshore fishing boat. It is in primer to show up all the imperfections before continuing.

IMG-2297.jpg

IMG-2298.jpg

IMG-2300.jpg

mw2301.jpg

mw2302.jpg

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• 2 weeks later...

Well, Hookton and the Lipp Vale "warts 'N' All will be on the 0 Gauge Guilds virtual show on Saturday 6th Nov. It is a very early video so some of the newer feature are missing. I have started to construct 2 signals which  will control the road crossing as per the GWR Worcester vinegar siding, just for something different. photos to follow. I will be playing host to Chris Nevard latter this month for a Model Rail photo shoot  so fingers will need to be extracted.:D Busy times in Grandads Shed where things are made and mended - eventually.:senile:

Edited by Mike
spelling errors
  • Like 10

• 2 weeks later...

Well as my open wagons for conversion to Salt wagons didn't materialise I thought why not build a bogie van. So here is an ex ABS model loosely based on a GVT  wagon. I have also decided to change from a 2 signal approach to a sort off Brown & Marshall disc as used by the Ffestiniog.

brown & marshall1.jpg

brown & marshall2.jpg

bogie van2.jpg

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 2 weeks later...

Phase 1 almost complete if a layout is ever complete, now on to phase 2. First job will be to separate  the thread just for Hookton and then on to phase 2. This will be the Lipp stream with bridge and the station area moving on to phase 3 Parkbourne Saint Giles. Will my opus Gargantua ever be finished who knows, but at least it will keep me off the streets albeit stony broke. :crazy:

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 3 weeks later...

Having just acquired an almost brand new Bachmann 0n30 mogul, I needed to find an excuse to run it on Hookton. Now you have probably noticed how I tweak history, so here goes. The loco was  purchased from the Sandy River and Rangeley Rail Road, shipped to Southampton, then by Rail to The Dorset Iron Foundry in Poole. where loco was re-gauged from 2ft to 2ft 3". The loco was then transferred by rail to Parkbourne St. Giles to access the HLVR metals. Fortunately there are no tunnels or cuttings and what earthworks there are, are fairly generous, the only real problem was the bridge over the Lipp which needed strengthening.  Now I need to tweak the model, the tender is rather plain and needs modifying, a new drawbar twixt loco and tender plus a fall-plate and some cosmetic work to improve the overall look. 

Edited by Mike
gap in text
  • Like 4