Harts Hill an 0 gauge Black Country micro plus Hookton and Lipp Vale

Thanks to all. Two negative lateral flow tests hooray. A body that feels like its been used as a human punch bag and a very nasty rasping cough . Feeling very down although not quite out.

• Friendly/supportive 3

• 1 month later...

Just when you think life is just a bowl of Cherries, you find its a bowl of toenail clippings.  Hookton has suffered some water damage and in my usual clumsy manner both boats suffered damage. It's all repairable (probably) but I have put in on the back burner to forge ahead with Hookton Riverside. Baseboards built (Grainge & Hodder) track laid, switch mechanisms fitted and track feeds installed. I have even built a wine merchants. I'll post some pics later.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

9 hours ago, Mike said:

Hookton has suffered some water damage and in my usual clumsy manner both boats suffered damage.

Sorry to hear that Mike, although the irony of model boats suffering water damage does have it's amusing side. Or is that just me..?? 😳🙄😉

• Like 1

The time has come the Walrus said to talk of many things. To scrap or repair the dents and dings or do pigs have wings. I have made a really hard decision to scrap the layout but save the structures, figures and as much as I possibly can. The baseboard has delaminated in a couple of places so it would have to be replaced, Hookton Riverside will incorporate as much as possible, Feeling quite sad but I have  a wonderful photographic record and the enjoyment of the build,

• Friendly/supportive 4

• 2 weeks later...

Hooray, Hookton is saved as I just couldn't send it to the breakers yard. It was just a touch difficult requiring some heavy engineering and lots of glue but saved it is. I do need to repair both of the boats and refit a couple of structures plus some of the smaller details but it works. I have also made a little progress on Riverside even with the temperature in Granddads shed where things are made and mended eventually being minus 9. Thank goodness for thermals and  gloves. Photos show where I'm at with riverside (bridge not complete nor fixed in position) and the w.i.p buildings just trial fitted.

IMG-2496.jpg

IMG-2495 (1).jpg

Edited by Mike
typo
  • Like 4

Hi Jim, the baseboard stayed flat and twist free. The problem was the plywood separating in an important area. Carefully dried and sealed then glued together under heavy pressure. As they say the difference between the difficult and the impossible is that the latter just takes a little longer to do. 

• Friendly/supportive 3

All now fully wired and working properly, so today I have mostly been playing trains. As they say the jobs a goodun☝️ No more workshop until after Boxing Day , well perhaps just a few hours before then.😊

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 1 month later...

Work in Progress. When I set out to build Hookton Riverside as with all my layouts I have to have a theme. I have always used my 7 w’s process with who being only one of them. So, who lives in the village and what do they do. As I had used somethings with permission from author Bernard Cornwell in Hookton, I’ve visited another authors tome Robert Louis Stevenson’s Treasure Island. Just for starters I have Trelawney House. The Admiral Benbow Inn and Benjamin Gunns cheese shop, perhaps I should get out more. Here are a couple or so of pics with said structures placed but not fitted as is the bridge All the buildings are unfinished requiring a lot more detailing. The granite sets are only placed for effect.

IMG-2526.jpg

IMG-2527.jpg

IMG-2528.jpg

trelawney house.jpg

gunns.jpg

Edited by Mike
missing text
  • Like 12
  • Funny 1

Just started a new shop B.Pews Opticians - watch this space. I have also added point pull rods to the front of the layout so I can play at home while I work on the layout. I really shouldn't put off starting to do work on the river but I keep finding other things to do. Sad or what.

• 3 weeks later...

Hookton and the Lipp vale harbour board has again succumbed to damp and has again despite my best efforts delaminated.  So it will now be decommissioned polite way of saying scrapped and binned.  Will save as much as possible but the baseboards are totally scrap. Hey-ho I'll just grin and bare it or just gin and bare it.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

What a pity, it's been such a lovely build. But as I too have found out with a boxfile, there is no point investing time/energy/money into something that's not on a solid and lasting foundation. I hope that you manage to find some inspiration once all the pieces have been saved and we see a new project. In the meantime, gin definitely sounds like the answer. 

• Agree 2

On 19/02/2023 at 08:55, Mike said:

I'll just grin and bare it

Steady on Mike, you can get arrested for that!! 😳🤣

Have a Gin, & bear it. Much safer option!! Carry on modelling, mate!!

PS forgot to ask how your Good Lady Wife is these days, when we met at the Warley open day?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have mostly be bodging in the shed progressing some of the buildings although none of them are finished or fitted in place. Any road up,here is an update on the state of play. In the background there is Benjamin Gunns fine cheese shop. L J Silver Butchers keeping the Treasure Island characters theme.

IMG-2597.jpg

IMG-2596 (1).jpg

IMG-2532.jpg

Edited by Mike
  • Like 3