Making Your Own Transfers

JCB 3C no.2

It may seem a simple question to many but I notice some of you make your own number plates and other vehicle transfers on your computer printers.

How is this done ? Complete novice  guide needed !

Craig

Edited by JCB 3C no.2
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Maybe because I'm a semi-luddite, but I draw up what I need nice and big on MS Paint, then cut and paste it into MS Word, and shrink the image down- this seems to me to be the best way of retaining a good quality level of image at the desired size. I usually print a few sizes onto a sheet of paper to see which is the right size and check for any adjustments before actually feeding the £3 a sheet waterslide paper into the printer and hitting "high" on the print quality menu.

If the logo I need can be found online that helps enormously, otherwise I'm limited to the most simple/lettering based versions. My main woe is where white lettering is used, the only work-around I can see is to print on white transfer paper with a block of colour around the logo and hope for the best/blend it in a bit with a brush. Sometimes it shows, sometimes you get away with it. A good example of this attached.

Registrations- download Charles Wright font (I found it easily on google) and I use 4pt text for registrations.

Badger JHU970X and LWS32Y.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
On 20/05/2020 at 14:03, fiftyfour fiftyfour said:

Maybe because I'm a semi-luddite, but I draw up what I need nice and big on MS Paint, then cut and paste it into MS Word, and shrink the image down

Just a suggestion as I have found that Word does apply some compression to the image and looses resolution. Just stick with Paint. Go to "properties" and select inches or centimetres as the scale. I use centimetres and set the paint area to the exact size required for the model but 10X the required size. When you are all done, go direct to print from Paint - but print at 10% of the original..... You can paste in a number of images across the top of an A4 sheet for the final print job to save on material.

• Informative/Useful 1

13 hours ago, JimFin said:

Just a suggestion as I have found that Word does apply some compression to the image and looses resolution. Just stick with Paint. Go to "properties" and select inches or centimetres as the scale. I use centimetres and set the paint area to the exact size required for the model but 10X the required size. When you are all done, go direct to print from Paint - but print at 10% of the original..... You can paste in a number of images across the top of an A4 sheet for the final print job to save on material.

I shall investigate! Putting them together on the top of a sheet was the way of getting six or seven lots out of one sheet, I can always guarantee something will need a re-do for some reason!