Changing Face of Railways Freeview Channel 95 Monday 11th May 17:30 - 18:30

Yesterday I came across this little gem - " Changing face of Railways" on Freeview Channel No. 95 CCXTV.

I would highly recommend watching it when it is repeated tomorrow, Monday 11th May, on the same channel from 17:30 - 18:30. The programme description reads as follows: 'In the 1960's, the railway network very radically changed as British Railways carried out it's modernisation programme. This unseen archive has been compiled to tell the story of the railways in colour.'

The film concentrates on the four regions of BR operating out of London, together with footage of London transport. Among steam locomotive classes featured, there is black & white footage of 60022 'Mallard' leaving Kings Cross and  colour footage of Duchess, 46256 'Sir William Stanier FRS' at the head of a WCML express. Stanier 8F's, Bulleid Pacifics, Standard Classes and WR steam also appear in colour.

For the modern enthusiast there is colour footage of Class 31's, 40's, Peaks, 47's, Deltic's, Warships, Westerns and AC & DC electrics. SR and Eastern Region EMU's also feature, together with underground trains.

I would rate this as one of the best, most factually accurate railway documentaries I have seen. Refreshingly, it doesn't treat people with an interest in railways as 'anoraks'.

• Like 1

Hi Joseph,

I wasn't aware that I had duplicated a thread and apologise for doing so.

However, I'm sure that there are people like me, who were aware of the original post, so might I respectfully request that my post remains in situ, so that others, unaware of this film, might enjoy it and wonder at what we have lost.

Regards,

Davey

• RMweb Premium
On 10/05/2020 at 12:40, Davey said:

Yesterday I came across this little gem - " Changing face of Railways" on Freeview Channel No. 95 CCXTV.

I would highly recommend watching it when it is repeated tomorrow, Monday 11th May, on the same channel from 17:30 - 18:30. The programme description reads as follows: 'In the 1960's, the railway network very radically changed as British Railways carried out it's modernisation programme. This unseen archive has been compiled to tell the story of the railways in colour.'

The film concentrates on the four regions of BR operating out of London, together with footage of London transport. Among steam locomotive classes featured, there is black & white footage of 60022 'Mallard' leaving Kings Cross and  colour footage of Duchess, 46256 'Sir William Stanier FRS' at the head of a WCML express. Stanier 8F's, Bulleid Pacifics, Standard Classes and WR steam also appear in colour.

For the modern enthusiast there is colour footage of Class 31's, 40's, Peaks, 47's, Deltic's, Warships, Westerns and AC & DC electrics. SR and Eastern Region EMU's also feature, together with underground trains.

I would rate this as one of the best, most factually accurate railway documentaries I have seen. Refreshingly, it doesn't treat people with an interest in railways as 'anoraks'.

This channel is now on Freeview 023