Ballasting advice

I have started to ballast my model railway layout. I chose to use Woodland Scenics 00 Medium Mixed Grey Ballast.

I understand some modellers use a mix of 00 & N size ballast.

This is my first attempt at ballasting & I have read lots of information on how to do this including looking at videos

But theres nothing like actually doing this.

I have firstly ensured that the ballast is tampt down properly before gluing.

I found using Ballast Magic (mixed as instructed) did not glue all the ballast properly.

So I have reverted to the tried & tested method of 50:50 PVA & water with a few drops of washing up liquid added to reduce surface tension. That works a treat. I think its better that Ballast Magic!

However, there are areas where the ballast isn't very uniform on drying. There are areas between some sleepers where the ballast hasn't settled sufficiently & this requires topping up.

My question is can I add a second very thin layer of ballast onto a already completed section of track?

If so would you recommend me using Fine Ballast or N gauge ballast to fill these areas?

What is your advice please?

Thank you very much for help.

As dasatsopthorne says, there is no problem in topping up.  Dependent on which PVA you have used, you may find that surrounding areas that are satisfactory are softened when topping up -  as long as you don't disturb those areas, they will dry again.  I woould not however, top up with the finer product as it may look obvious that a repair has been carried out.

Harold.

• Like 1