TLC: Hook side play

Sorry, another thread on Tension lock couplings.

I use Bachmann TLC using Brian Kirby's magnetic uncoupling system. One  problem I've found with Bachmann couplings is there is a lot of waggle in the hook, allowing it to move from side to side by approx.  2mm. This sometimes prevents wagons coupling correctly, ie. the hook on one wagon is so far over it can not locate on to the loop of the other wagon.

The hooks are made from metal 0.6mm thick , and I 'm wondering if they were thicker by 0.25mm  (0.85mm total) this would eliminate any side waggle and keep the hook parallel to the loop, but still allowing it to pivot freely up and to drop back down.

I have just emailed PH Designs enquiring how thick their hooks are with a view to swapping them. Does anybody have any thoughts/ideas on this?

In my limited experience the PH Designs etched hooks for Brian Kirby uncoupling with the Bachmann TLCs had even more sideways slop than the original hooks.  That, and they all too often weren't a secure fit on to the coupling anyway and would fall off at the slightest opportunity.

Of course, I might have been doing something wrong, YMMV etc etc.

(I now use Kadees.  Guess why?)

Edited by ejstubbs
  • Informative/Useful 1