The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Razer prices

jjb1970

• RMweb Premium

Does anyone else end up buying new razers all the time simply because "starter" packages including the razer handle bit is cheaper than buying new blades on their own? I like Gillette Fusion blades and just about every time I go to buy new blades it seems that new blade packs are way more expensive than the starter packages, and not just by a few pence either. Seems a bit bonkers to me and I regularly throw the handles in the bin to stop cluttering the bathroom, if that's what works for Gillette then fair enough but surely it'd be more sensible to just price the blades so it makes more sense not to keep buying bits I neither want nor need? 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I have given up and gone to a DE safety razor. Less than £20 for a handle, foam and brush, and then blades were £6 for 100 including postage.

partly because I got annoyed with the amount of plastic involved in the Gillette options where the same holder could have 3, 4 or 5 blades and each would need the same amount of space to transport and produce.

• Like 1

On 10/05/2020 at 09:33, jjb1970 said:

"starter" packages including the razor handle bit is cheaper than buying new blades on their own

"Loss leader" marketing.  The same is very true of ink jet printing where the cost of the printer is recouped on the ink.

The cost of the razor handle is minimal. Plastic is so cheap - often far cheaper to manufacture from raw materials than recycling, so you can't really even recycle the handles. (You could put them in the recycling bin but they wouldn't likely even get recycled.) Or you could built your own carbon sequestration pit in the yard.

Here there are also "online shave clubs" to compete with the pharmacy/supermarket distribution approaches.

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, 96701 said:

Electric for me.

But a blade maybe once a month just to even things up.

4 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

The same is very true of ink jet printing where the cost of the printer is recouped on the ink.

My Canon printer (all-in-one, actually) cost about $50.00; the replacement Canon carts cost a little over $50.00. Plus the starter carts are only about half-full!

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
On 10/05/2020 at 17:33, jjb1970 said:

Does anyone else end up buying new razers all the time simply because "starter" packages including the razer handle bit is cheaper than buying new blades on their own? I like Gillette Fusion blades and just about every time I go to buy new blades it seems that new blade packs are way more expensive than the starter packages, and not just by a few pence either. Seems a bit bonkers to me and I regularly throw the handles in the bin to stop cluttering the bathroom, if that's what works for Gillette then fair enough but surely it'd be more sensible to just price the blades so it makes more sense not to keep buying bits I neither want nor need? 

I sympathise, but at the end of the day you do tend to get what you pay for.  I've been using Gilette Fusion 5 Proglide blades for some time and they give me the best and most comfortable shave I've ever had.  Thay also last a long time - I tend to get at least a couple of months out of each, although now that I'm retired i tend to only shave every second day.  At present you can get 8 for £18 on Amazon which at £2.25 per blade for what is possibly the best quality available doesn't seem too bad.

Alternatives?  I've tried a few, mostly cheaper, none so good.  I didn't think Wilkinsons Hydro was as good as Gilette and anyway I'm dismayed that a company that I once thought to be essentially British is now owned by a US company and its razors are manufactured in Germany.   I've thought about Harry's, but don't fancy the subscription service and without it their blades are nearly as expensive as Gillette.  And Harry's is no longer that nice independent company run by a couple of regular guys - it's been bought by the company that owns Wilkinson Sword.  But Harry's trial starter set at £3.95 for a razor and some gel may be quite attractive.  Personally, I'm quite tempted by the Shave It system, seemingly an  Amazon exclusive, with a handle and four 6-blade razors going for £7.98 and subsequent blades considerably cheaper than Gilette, but while most reviews are happy with the blades quite a few don't like the handle.  It would be interesting to know who makes them.  Still might be worth a punt though.....

DT

39 minutes ago, Torper said:

I sympathise, but at the end of the day you do tend to get what you pay for.  I've been using Gilette Fusion 5 Proglide blades for some time and they give me the best and most comfortable shave I've ever had.  Thay also last a long time - I tend to get at least a couple of months out of each.

That's interesting; I had a very different experience. Fusion 5 seem to be the most expensive blades on the market so I hoped they would be good.

I felt they started to deteriorate after just the 1 shave (& not a very smooth one at that), then caused bluntness discomfort after just 3, which I considered poor.

I tried Wilkinson Quattro & am much happier with them. They are a little cheaper per blade & each one lasts at least 2-3 weeks. They even seem to get better after the first shave, which is something I found surprising.

Can our skin & facial hair really be that much different?

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, Pete the Elaner said:

That's interesting; I had a very different experience. Fusion 5 seem to be the most expensive blades on the market so I hoped they would be good.

I felt they started to deteriorate after just the 1 shave (& not a very smooth one at that), then caused bluntness discomfort after just 3, ...........Can our skin & facial hair really be that much different?

I don't know about that, but there is a confusing number of Fusion blades and for all I know there may be considerable differences between them.  There's straight Fusion 5, then there's Fusion 5 Proglide (which I have), then Fusion 5 Proglide Power, and Fusion 5 Proshield.  There are also consideable differences in the foam, gel or cream that shavers use.  All I can say is that I've found a combination that suits me (expensive blades, cheap shaving soap) and I'm glad that you're getting on with the Wilkinson product - I didn't find it in any way bad, just not as good as the Gilette (I'd hoped it would be the other way round!).

DT

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

My Canon printer (all-in-one, actually) cost about $50.00; the replacement Canon carts cost a little over $50.00. Plus the starter carts are only about half-full!

It's the well-known razor-and-blades selling technique - see here .

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

I've been using a Gillette Sensor Excel razor since they came out (gawd knows when that was!). Two blades is quite enough to decapitate hairs with, don't see the need for 3, 4, or even 5. The blades are cheap enough, just wonder how much longer they'll keep selling them

Paul

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I usually just go to Savers or Superdrug and buy one of the Gillette permanent "offer" packs with a Mach 3 handle and 12 blade cartridges for £20. They seem to last me for ages, which reminds me, I need to get a new pack.

• Like 1

Another vote for the beard - nothing to do with saving the planet but just total lazyness!! (and a lifetime of shiftwork - it was bad enough getting up when it was still dark, be b****** to shaving at that time!)

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

I have no issue with the quality of the razors I use, Fusion 5. They're good blades, it just seems bonkers that a value or start pack with the handle and a given number of blades is cheaper than buying the same blades on their own. The idea is to make a profit on the blades but I just keep getting the entry packages that are meant to suck you into buying blades.

I grew (pardon the pun) tired of buying razors that filled our bins with plastic waste. I became fed up with buying a handle only for the blades to become obsolete in 6 months. I’ve subscribed to Harry’s for the past 4 years. Not the cheapest but they last far longer, their shaving gel is good, and so are their shower gels. I’ve set my subscription to 4 months which is perfect for the 8 blades. It actually works out slightly cheaper than the crappy disposables that rip my skin to shreds after 2 uses. Not as cheap as buying a new starter pack with handle but far more sustainable. 

• RMweb Premium

I've thought of giving the Harry's trial pack a go.  But at present I'm getting about three months out of each Fusion 5 razor blade, helped no doubt by use of a razorpit - I got a trial handle and blade and then eight blades back at the end of 2017 and still have one blade to go - so I don't really see much point in changing (and accumulating another handle!).  But you're absolutely right to say that spending a bit more on a decent razor (and each to his own on that) not only gives much more comfortable shaves but is also likely to be cheaper in the long run.

DT