Deltic LED lighting

Good evening, I have a Lima Class 55, 'The Fife and Forfar Yeomanry' which has a recessed painted headcode box. I'd like to add LED lighting and was thinking along the lines of a 'Domino' headcode box. I came across the 'Bachmann Class 55' conversion kit and wondered if this could do the job, does anybody have any experience with this kit? 

https://www.expressmodels.co.uk/catalogue/head-and-tail-lights/dcc-locomotive-lights-4mm-scale/dcc-lights-for-diesel-locomotives-4-function/Bachmann-class-55-deltic-detail

• Like 1

On 10/05/2020 at 19:31, APT Fan said:

Good evening, I have a Lima Class 55, 'The Fife and Forfar Yeomanry' which has a recessed painted headcode box. I'd like to add LED lighting and was thinking along the lines of a 'Domino' headcode box. I came across the 'Bachmann Class 55' conversion kit and wondered if this could do the job, does anybody have any experience with this kit? 

https://www.expressmodels.co.uk/catalogue/head-and-tail-lights/dcc-locomotive-lights-4mm-scale/dcc-lights-for-diesel-locomotives-4-function/Bachmann-class-55-deltic-detail

Silence came the reply,....... Looks like nobody has an answer,

I think you should risk it ...I've got an old Lima Deltic somewhere, can't remember what state it's in as it was one of my first locos and probably the experiment for a lot of things, if memory serves correctly..... I think it's got a good thick coat of paint (like it's been done with a tar-brush, but expensive etched nameplates 

20 hours ago, Lee Clarke said:

Silence came the reply,....... Looks like nobody has an answer,

I think you should risk it ...I've got an old Lima Deltic somewhere, can't remember what state it's in as it was one of my first locos and probably the experiment for a lot of things, if memory serves correctly..... I think it's got a good thick coat of paint (like it's been done with a tar-brush, but expensive etched nameplates 

Yeah I think the worst of it woudl be having to cut out the head code box, but I'm into drilling the body regardless. The current headcode box looks like its been hand painted at Lima! Looks alright from a distance but could be improved, even if I just painted over it and added domino transfers.

But yeah lets go for lights, it makes the loco come alive.

• Agree 1

• 4 weeks later...

I've two of the Lima blue Deltics which both have black painted Head Code boxes and I've experimented with placing an LED behind them. No light gets through but because the body is yellow plastic, the light bleeds throughout the nose area. So the plan is to paint the inside of the nose black with the exception of the headcode area, remove the headcode paint and replace with a translucent domino headcode transfer and merely glue a couple of LEDs behind it in the nose.

The other thing I was looking into was fitting the spot light (see picture below). They appear to be surface mounted and realistically, I'm not going to be able to match up the yellow for a surface mounted unit. I was thinking of fitting a flush 1mm fibre option in this area with an LED behind. Last week I fitted out an 09 Lima Shunter with 0.5mm fibre optics with LEDs behind and they are pretty much undetectable unless the light is on, so I think might get away with flush fitting it on the Deltic and avoid getting too extravagant. 

spacer.png