Best places to get semaphores?

MR_BU3

Fairly new here, looking to purchase some german semaphores but only seem to find the more expensive powered ones. Would anyone be able to point me in the direction of some cheaper non-powered ones?

On another note any recommendations on german model shops for selling to uk? Heard of Modelbahnlippe and Modelbahnunion but not of any others!

Many thanks 

I've never seen any static semaphores from Germany, but tha doesn't mean they don't exist.

The cheapest I have on my DB Eisenbahn is around €50. But they are powered for that price and easily hooked up, but depending upon the method used, are not that reliable. The solenoids can also easily be burned out by a stuck relay or magnetic reed switch. I've already smoked one of them and now it is static. The other works, but I disconnected it after fusing a relay contact, I did get the plug pulled before it burned up the semaphore solenoid.

Anyway, I've about given up on semaphores until I can come up with a more reliable actuation system.

Modelbahnshoppe-Lippe is about the best in Germany for price, selection, and speed of shipping. From Germany to my US doorstep is usually three days, sometimes four. Customs is handled by UPS so there is no delay.

I cannot say the same for Union Modellbahn. They use DHL with no Customs brokerage, so you will be dependent on Royal Mail and the Government for Customs processing. I'm not certain how speedy UK Customs is, but if it's anything like US Customs, you will be waiting weeks to receive your goods. Their shipping is also €20 higher than MSL (to the States), and their prices are also higher for the same equipment and parts. Their customer service though is excellent and shipping out the door is usually the next day. It's the courier and Customs you have to put up with.

I would only order from Union if there were no other resource. There is no choice of shipping with them so you are stuck with DHL. 

Like Michael, I have never seen any cheap "static" signals, presumably of the kind that Ratio do kits of?

I love the Viessman signals but they are fussy (& expensive) so maybe try Roco?

As for suppliers, I would say Lippe are the German equal of the British Hattons but another source is:

https://www.menzels-lokschuppen.de/Modellbahnen/

I've had good service from them.

https://www.lindenberg-modellbahn-koeln.de/

Great service here too.

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, adecoaches26point4 said:

Please look at https://www.conrad.de/de/o/h0-signale-1607100.html

They have kits without drives, have found them very useful.

Look for Hauptsignal Bausatz DB, very reasonable pricing.

Was just about to mention Conrad. See also English version of their site and don't be put off by the machine translations :-)

I bought the two-arm signal kit (largely out of curiosity) and it has the 'schmalmast' -- a thin mast made of two upright girders with fillets welded between them -- rather than the conventional lattice construction. This was used in locations where clearance was tight, but (according to the GRS German Signalling Guide if I recall correctly) it spread to other locations too -- as so often what got used was what was available. The kit looks good to me; clean mouldings, super-fiddly LEDs if you want to illuminate it. Had it for ages and I haven't finished building it yet!

Ben

Edited by readingtype
typo
  • Like 2