Wiring Peco SL-90 Double Slip

Simon G

Having laid my track some time ago, I have finally got around to building the control panel.  I have a double slip which is to be used to get trains from an outer loop into a yard, and also to get trains from the inner loop into the yard.  The diagram below shows the relevant part of the payout.  The double slip will need to be run from either the inner loop or outer loop controllers.  My original idea of doing this was to include a double pole, double throw switch into the control panel specifically to switch between the 2 controllers for the double slip.

I have had another idea, which seems to be a neater solution.  My point motors are Peco, and I have the Peco PL15 microswitches to fit onto the motors.  My idea is now to use the microswitch on the other point shown to switch the feeds to the double slip.  The usual feed to the slip with then be the inner controller, only switching to the outer controller when the road is set for a train to enter the yard via the slip.

Does this make sense?  Can anyone think of a better way?  

Many thanks.

581868758_DoubleSlip.jpg.b7e1097e8e65317403b0fc4562e7c4aa.jpg

The automatic part of it was part of the intention.  As things stand, I don’t see me using the double slip to move much between the outer and inner tracks, except by going into the yard and back out again.  However, as the layout will be switchable between DC and DCC, there is nothing to stop movements between the two loops under full DCC control.

Both solutions will work well.  The manual switch can have a centre off feature. the point micro switch is somewhat automatic.   Neither is fool proof, you just have to remember to re set the road from the outer road or you can get pretty much a head on collision on the slip.  The GWR managed something similar at Dolphin crossing in the 1940s.

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, DavidCBroad said:

Both solutions will work well.  The manual switch can have a centre off feature. the point micro switch is somewhat automatic.   Neither is fool proof, you just have to remember to re set the road from the outer road or you can get pretty much a head on collision on the slip.  The GWR managed something similar at Dolphin crossing in the 1940s.

What's the purpose of having a centre off switch? Who needs to isolate such a short section of track as a slip?

• Agree 1

Many thanks.  That suggestion makes sense.  I just wish I had thought to ask this question before I had cut the holes for the point switches in the control panel!  I will give it a try.  At present, I am just waiting for some switches, heatshrink etc to arrive to finish the control panel.