Books on the Calder Valley Line

MonsalDan

Hello,

I'm looking to research the former L&Y line in the Calder Valley.  Can anyone recommend any books on that railway line or some good ones about the railways of the west riding.  Ideally ones with information on traffic and the pre-grouping scene too.

The Calder valley book, by Martin Bairstow is an interesting read  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/The-Manchester-and-Leeds-Railway-The-Calder-Valley-Line-by-Martin-Bairstow-Pap/143563018405?epid=88878289&hash=item216d05d0a5:g:5UYAAOSwc15eeOOQ 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, plarailfan said:

Thanks, I've got the Queensbury which is quite good.

48 minutes ago, Adam88 said:

Have you joined the LYRS?

No I haven't yet, are they quite good for this?  I was intending to just get one book first before doing anything like that.

If there is an equivalent of 'Through Limestone Hills', or something comprehensive like that on the Calder Valley or West Riding then that'd be ideal.

Edited by MonsalDan

Definitely worth checking out especially as the society has superb resources, knowledge and publications.  They also cover post-group, post-nationalistion and contemporary periods, although the emphasis is on the pre-grouping history.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Bellcode's Railway Memories No.11 Halifax and the Calder Valley is a good book IMHO, as are all of the Bellcode books.

The West Riding included some fairly major railway towns and cities with a myriad of routes so generalised books are not very comprehensive as there were many different companies with their individual styles running through the county. There are however a lot of good books based on the different areas within or on individual routes, it depends how deep you wish to delve.

Regards,

Ian.

Edited by 03060
Correction.
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks, I'll keep an eye for that railway memories book.

I'm most interested in the Calder Valley Line after visiting Hebden Bridge last summer.  It's a beautiful area and a model railway based on that place would be quite nice I think.

• Like 1