Caley Jim

Yes, Simon.  The door handles are little 'T' shaped etches and the grab handles have a couple  of little spigots on them which go into holes and then a touch of cyano is applied from behind.

Jim

• Thanks 1

The door handles and grab rails have (eventually) been fitted.  The handles are tiny!  Think of  'T' about 1mm square!

Fitting them into the holes is a delicate operation and several have gone AWOL.  The operation was, however, made much easier with the arrival of a pair of ceramic tipped tweezers, which were recommended for soldering by @CDGfife at one of our last Area Group meetings.  They seem to hold things more positively than ordinary college tweezers with less chance of the part pinging off into the wide blue yonder.

1971736909_Handlesandvarnished.JPG.39f43927fa82738823f09f9ea956a19c.JPG

It was then given a coat of thinned Humbrol satin varnish, but this came out far too matt for my liking so a second coat of Ronseal clear satin interior varnish was applied.  This gives a nice sheen, as you can see on the end, without the 'hardness' of a gloss varnish.

Glazing then partitions and floor next.

Jim

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

Sadly my ceramic tipped tweezers have not guaranteed nothing will ping off to the carpet monster (2 rodding cranks this morning I'm looking at you!) but I agree they are the firmest gripping tweezers I've used and I wouldn't be without mine now, plus as you say great for soldering.

This is looking really good Jim.

CDG

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, D869 said:

Lovely job Jim............... Onwards to the next project now then :)

Thanks. 

Au contaire! Back to the Dunallander canopies! 

Jim 

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 06/06/2020 at 21:52, Caley Jim said:

Just to finish off, here it is in service running into Kirkallanmuir behind 98 Class No.108 in a rake of 45ft coaches from the same source (as is most of the loco body).

in_service.JPG.8d6032da941f5fb56886aff3df62c88e.JPG

Jim

Lovely looking train, Jim. 

Tim

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

That is stunning Jim!  It has given me the inspiration to kick start my own carriage building that has been moribund for too long.   Just as soon as the transfers arrive I may have something to show myself.

John

• Thanks 1

• 3 years later...

I have seen a photograph of Caledonian Railway Station Furniture in an etch by John Boyle.

I wonder if the drawings would be available anywhere?

I know it was in 4mm but I would like to reproduce the furniture in 2mm scale.

Any assistance welcome.

Brian

Hi Brian, John's artwork was all drawn by hand on paper at 10mm-1 ft and then photo reduced. The 2mm etches were ones he was kind enough to have done for me. I never saw any etches with station furniture on them. I have no idea what happened to his drawings when he passed away. Are you a member of the CRA? If so, you could ask on the forum. If you're not a member I could ask on there for you. 

Jim