Norton Fitzwarren GWR plan

• RMweb Gold

Hi all, I am trying to locate a track diagram of Norton Fitzwarren during GWR days for a TS2020 project I'm working on. I have a copy of the great book Historical survey of selected GWR track diagrams by RH Clark (Vol 1), sadly this doesn't contain a diagram however there are 3 more books in the series and I was hoping someone could tell me if any of the other books had a diagram in. I cant afford to randomly buy the books and have shipped to the USA on the off chance it will contain the diagram

many thanks

Andy

• RMweb Premium

Have a look at the NLS site and put in Taunton and follow the railway west to Norton Fitzwarren, also select the 25 inch map series, there are two or three dates for the maps, they are about 98% accurate.  Sorry I am unable to provide a direct link at the moment.

If you want to save the map, you will have to use the print screen facility on your computer or if you use Templot you can download it to your preferred scale.

• RMweb Gold
41 minutes ago, lakeview770 said:

Hi all, I am trying to locate a track diagram of Norton Fitzwarren during GWR days for a TS2020 project I'm working on. I have a copy of the great book Historical survey of selected GWR track diagrams by RH Clark (Vol 1), sadly this doesn't contain a diagram however there are 3 more books in the series and I was hoping someone could tell me if any of the other books had a diagram in. I cant afford to randomly buy the books and have shipped to the USA on the off chance it will contain the diagram

many thanks

Andy

Hi Andy,

Yes, one of the four volumes does include Norton Fitzwarren. I will check which one.

Joseph

Edit: Vol. 2. It has diagrams for both before and after rebuilding. But the diagram for after is incomplete at the east end. So the NLS Ordnance Survey may be a better option.

Edited by Joseph_Pestell
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

1902 25-inch OS map: https://maps.nls.uk/view/106023737#zoom=4&lat=10599&lon=13898&layers=BT

1929: https://maps.nls.uk/view/106023740#zoom=4&lat=10690&lon=13993&layers=BT

If you go into the geo-referenced view, you get the 1902 map with continuous coverage and by using the blue-dot slider (bottom-left) you can fade in/out modern satellite images:

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=17&lat=51.02367&lon=-3.14974&layers=168&b=1

instead of doing a screengrab/print, if you click 'Print PDF' (tab in bottom left) then it generates a PDF document of the area being viewed

Edited by keefer
  • Informative/Useful 2

If you want the signalling diagram, it is shown in:

Signal Box Diagrams of the Great Western & Southern Railways

By GA Pryor

Volume 8

G.W.R. Lines

Taunton to Exeter and branches

Regards

Will

Edited by WillCav
incorrect spelling (doh!)
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Ordered the publications you all mentioned except the book by prior as I cant seem to find a copy online so if you knowof any oood bookshops that may have it please let me know.

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, lakeview770 said:

Ordered the publications you all mentioned except the book by prior as I cant seem to find a copy online so if you knowof any oood bookshops that may have it please let me know.

George Pryer's (note the spelling) diagrams should be available from the Signalling Record Society in some shape or form. Link here: https://www.s-r-s.org.uk/home.php

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 15/05/2020 at 13:01, lakeview770 said:

and thanks for the link to the SRS as soon as they re open Ill be getting the Pryer books

Did you manage to get a track diagram? i am modelling NFW in EM and have track plans from 1960 and earlier ones are available.  They are taken from ordnance survey 1:2500 maps and show both rails and the turnouts appear to be of the correct length.

Edited by NFWEM57

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, NFWEM57 said:

Did you manage to get a track diagram? i am modelling NFW in EM and have track plans from 1960 and earlier ones are available.  They are taken from ordnance survey 1:2500 maps and show both rails and the turnouts appear to be of the correct length.

Usual caveats about OS maps:

1) The date shown may not be the same as when they were last fully revised.

2) There tend to be inaccuracies, e.g. missing crossovers, on things that don't matter to the OS (i.e. the military).

3) OS sometimes deliberately leave out features relating to the military.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Usual caveats about OS maps:

1) The date shown may not be the same as when they were last fully revised.

2) There tend to be inaccuracies, e.g. missing crossovers, on things that don't matter to the OS (i.e. the military).

3) OS sometimes deliberately leave out features relating to the military.

But better than nothing and an improvement on the signal box diagrams which are representative of the configuration, not the physical layout.

On (2) and (3), OS are required to leave out certain military features, 'deliberately leave out' is a bit disingenuous..!

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, NFWEM57 said:

But better than nothing and an improvement on the signal box diagrams which are representative of the configuration, not the physical layout.

On (2) and (3), OS are required to leave out certain military features, 'deliberately leave out' is a bit disingenuous..!

Not really on Item 2 - OS maps have a reputation for missing out crossovers, and more, although of course said crossovers etc might not have been there at the time the survey was carried.  They very definitely did not keep up with layout changes particularly at lesser places and part of the reason for that was the way they revised mapping.  Nowadays using satellite information may hopefully have improved that.

And yes security related things were  omitted in the past but whether they stiill do I'm not sure as many of them can readily be seen and examined on Google Maps.

Depending on the OPs period of interest there are some helpful pictures in 'GWR Infrastructure 1922 - 1934 published by Noodle Books - that is of curse the earlier layout.

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Not really on Item 2 - OS maps have a reputation for missing out crossovers, and more, although of course said crossovers etc might not have been there at the time the survey was carried.  They very definitely did not keep up with layout changes particularly at lesser places and part of the reason for that was the way they revised mapping.  Nowadays using satellite information may hopefully have improved that.  Nothing but a couple of main lines now..! Sputnik had no camera, just a radio transmitter..!

And yes security related things were  omitted in the past but whether they still do I'm not sure as many of them can readily be seen and examined on Google Maps.

Depending on the OPs period of interest there are some helpful pictures in 'GWR Infrastructure 1922 - 1934 published by Noodle Books - that is of curse the earlier layout.  Found quite a few images on line which seem to confirm the map layouts I found

At the end of the day it is a representation of what was there and as long as it satisfies the modeller, no problem.  Enjoyment or the endless and fruitless quest for the the holy grail?