Pop Up - building kits

definate maybe

Whilst reading the Peco thread I stumbled across a company called Pop Up, who has released a few models of scottish origin buildings.

Their Goods Shed was of interest to me but they only advertised it as being available in OO.

I contacted them to ask if they had any plans to release the model in N. They responded really quickly and advised of a few issues where they were not 100% comfortable in downsizing it to N. After a few email exchanges, I suggested a few options and to my suprise they offered to forward the CAD design to me so I could see if my suggestions would work. To my novice eyes the changes really worked and the model has now been released and is available in their shop - https://www.popupdesigns.co.uk/shop/

The kit has arrived with me in the last few days and unfortunately I have not had time to build it but the kit itself looks lovely.

I would recommend taking a look in their store.

i definately hope to order more from them in future and cant fault them for the service and help on this model.

Regards

Mark

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

Highly recommended - a sort of offshoot from Iain Ross's 3D HR range, they at first glance can appear a bit basic but can be turned in to more than acceptable models. Here is an out of the packet and finished  version of their goods shed. I clad it in Evergreen board and batten but all the ground work is done for you.

20200327_001529.jpg.20b523f1374850393e35d51b054b04bd.jpg

20200327_003943.jpg.dc45ccb9e9eaad8ad5849b18a26a10b9.jpg

20200407_171813.jpg.a639608fad18d1197d96732b044344e4.jpg

• Like 11

Another Pop Up one here - their water tank. This one apart from altering the windows I built from the kit only just to see what could be done with it. I did add water controls but this wasn't fitted to tanks serving seperate  columns so could be omitted if wanted.

20200409_231832.jpg.107506512ad4f9280100c877a4257e29.jpg

20200420_212325.jpg.4710d4f4fb8081d4a4311721e8fdb32c.jpg

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Gold

Hi Ben Alder,

I was thinking much the same for Goods shed as making a lazer cut overlay for the batten would be complex, delicate and costly ... I do not think a 2mm version of batten and board is available  so was hoping to experiment on mine with plastic rod glued in the groves and then sanded back to give a flat outer face. 

Viz the water tower good work am I right that the tank is a replacemment 3D print.  

I have been in contact with Fiona at Pop up about other bits and pieces - N HR cabin and perhaps Thurso shed but would love a short cut to Kyle shed  in 4mm to house kits in diorama.  Really a stone built small station with the detailed gable ends would be the iconic HR builidng, but which one..   A wooden one I would go for a double ended one so bits could be left off to do a single one such as Plockton. 

regards

Robert    

Newtonmore station would be fantastic.

when I contacted them, they did suggest that they would be willing to look into downsizing Grantown or Longmorn but neither really fitted what I was looking for.

Brora or Newtonmore are definitely of the design I was thinking off.

heres hoping.

mark

Edited by definate maybe

1 hour ago, definate maybe said:

Brora or Newtonmore are definitely of the design I was thinking off.

heres hoping.

He is keen on doing Newtonmore for family reasons so I imagine this will be a runner. No drawings of Brora AFAIK  which makes that on a bit more unlikely.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Ben Alder,

Hi been in touch with Iain with several suggestions like Plockton , Thurso  station and shed, perhaps Kyle shed but a HR cabin in N gauge- which might be based on a 4mm one on the Strathspey and sold in the shop for the steam line - well worth supporting.  

Also had as look at some 3D ideas currently in the melting shop - 4mm to 2mm if the "shrink ray button is enabled !  But as I said its a hobby and other works need to be finished and of course Pop up need to see a potential return- esp if "It is going to be a big seller" means only 4  taken up -...  

Thanks for the contact it does all look promising for N at this time.   I am told the Goods shed  kit has been dispatched.  

Robert          

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi collective! 

Just to report a few minutes ago ( half a cup of coffee) Postie delivered a good shed and water tower flatpacks - now that is quick given Elgin the base, to sunny Badlands of Birmingham.    As Ben Alder says a good start  I hope to delaminate the doors as lazer detail is good but as its on 3mm ply the doors are certainly bomb proof !  Might be some fun sorting the slates where the locating lugs fit bit at worst case an overlay to sort but as the roof is so well lazer cut it would  be a shame  to  cover it.  

The water tower shows promise and if Ben can shape the tank in 4mm that is a challenge for me in N !  

A brilliant Pop up business in many ways and I think worthy of support in this most challenging time we are now living.

Thanks for Ben Alder for getting a ball rolling ...

Robert         

• Like 3

I have just come across this thread and i will most certainly be looking at the site. i would love to get a two water towers made for Aviemore and like the idea of doing something else in the future looking at some of the kits.

Thanks for sharing.

Neil

• RMweb Gold

Well water tower 95% built to the common sense instructions - I have delaminated the ply for the door by one ply and cut it down to fit in and used a piece of scrap ply to back door so it is inset by 1mm.  I will be good to see if I can get the outer ply off the window frames to have those inset as well , but it might be a step too far.  I cut of ladder and will fit etched ladder from  Nbrass. The model ladder great for a tourist model just chunky for model use. 

Good shed part built and gluing as I type  Side door thinned to reduce apparent wall thickness - with inside a dark brown and no light fact no board joins  should be not apparent.   roof support is solid as well so will need to be painted black. - This needed a gnats taking off the cutout to fit and not bow wall but a good fit.  The roof I am cutting back around edge so the 3 ply not show and hopefully close up fit - paper ridgetiles to be sourced but not a problem.  Hopefully phots later.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Water tower built and tank in grey primer , goodshed built, big doors on end halved in thickness and filler on roof plus extra bit where I had thinned bottom of roof sections so not so chunky All looking good - plan to use brick plasticard on chimney, but for another day.  

I have ordered two cottages and hope that larger building will be shrink rayed.!  3D tank in 4mm in 2mm shrink test.

Burghead shed seems likely project but easily cut down to give the HR  single road shed. 

Longmorn station building does look fiddly in 4mm I would be after a more light railway building - Lybster if drawings exist. 

The 4mm cabin is of Boat of Garten which has brick base but still overs potential. Strathspey shop  on web looks out of service but email contacts available.  Iain the designer was looking at an N version but was hoping to smehow sort sales to benefit Strathspey which along with all our heritage lines shut UFN. 

Robert.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Yesterday a futher box winged its way from Elgin with two small cottages , another water tower and a bonus Signal box !  so thanks to Popup designs- Andrew and Fiona and the ever hungry lazer team!  Looks like a simple build but adaptable which makes them a good base  for messing about. 

Water tower no1 built and goodshed has had walls painted after failing to get to sleep a couple of days ago!   

I will adapt water tower tank to reduce over hang as the 3mm ply means an 18"  overlap in N which is just a bit too much. the Ply can easily be thinned with a razor saw. 

Looking forward to the reduced scale bigger house - called a station masters house.  The news on engine shed and station buildings welcome.

Robert    

• RMweb Gold

HI cottages built , quick pics , bit of green filler to block up parts of the interlocking. I have thought I would render one and give it Redux corrugated tin roof.  

Iain has proved that he can print 2mm water columns and has done a lovely sheep creep / under bridge but not sure if these will be available yet.  

I found a long lost NS kit for a HR footbridge in 2mm, bought at the O gauge guild show in Telford 5 years ago, part built so that now in same box .

Signalbox and small station options continue, While I like the all timber versions it is clear  quite a few had brick bases in later years. I guess then the boat of Garten box would be valid for many locations but really I want a covered ground frame size one as seen on lines north of Inverness.  But no rush as its just a box of bits at this time . Robert      

camera_dump_26052020_038.jpg

camera_dump_26052020_039.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Morning collective ! 

I can confirm that in N the water column is brilliant, with a wisp of fur on the top of the dome.  The Bridge prototype looks  to be Carron on the Kyle extension.  It is  about 25mm wide for the trackbed  and the bridge is around 45mm high in the hole so take rolling stock easily.  Recommended from a satisfied customer and good to help and promote.  Signal cabin looks the part but have not got one yet.    A Highland cabin when it arrives will hit a sweet spot ! 

Robert .