Pop Up - building kits

definate maybe

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, slow8dirty said:

Hi @SHerr, very approx, the roof is 46cmx10.5cm. The Gable walls are 9cm long , with the building itself 43cm long. Width of the actual building underneath is 4.5cm, 6cm at the bay windows. 

Hth

Thanks that’s brilliant 

• RMweb Gold

The Plockton building came to day - from the same design hand as the Pop up buildings so a couple of  pics:

400197609_HRPlockton11022021005.jpg.017537b2b0c6c9c20acaec27cdc12a13.jpg

Close up of the wing building.  Nicely printed and sensibly without batten and board as that would be too uneven to model easily - paint and toning I think will be the way forward, or a kilometer of 5 thou by 10thou strip/ sticky label slices perhaps. Something to try anyway.

31526706_HRPlockton11022021002.jpg.a1b905366a5195aab9dc45f63818b9fb.jpg

Second pic shows the canopy columns which are really a good effort given the size . To note in the good design book is they are separated from the roof to avoid damage and also on a supporting strip to ensure spaced correctly, this strip neatly locates  in a slot in the canopy ceiling inspired work to avoid getting in wrong - as only I could so thanks!   

Roof in background nicely detailed and strong  with slates and blockwork chimneys printed well. 

Hopefully available shortly from Open factory in Edinburgh.  This being an advanced test piece.

• Like 5

Pulled the trigger and purchased the goods shed which mysteriously came with a Highland Cottage too (probably should check in on that). Certainly as a design it has its downfalls but has mostly fallen together. My main complaint has been the roof which hasn't sat close to square and has required judicious use of elastic to hold two corners together. Which is to be expected because I completely neglected that two 90 degree corners not at 90 degrees would be uncomplimentary. Coupled with some slightly bent roof sections. Nothing overly un-fixable. But is it better than trying to scratch build? Yes, infinitely. 

• Like 2

The cottage is a throw in to thank you for purchasing from him. The kits are in a state of development and a spin off from his main range, which are basically toys, and are a good starting point for a scale model - I covered my goods shed with Evergreen board and batten sheet. Generally the ply is flat but I did have one roof that eventually needed epoxy to hold in shape, but as a rule they more or less fall together. Pop Up will probably replace a warped sheet if you come across this again - he has a very good approach to this sort of thing.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

20 hours ago, Ben Alder said:

The cottage is a throw in to thank you for purchasing from him. The kits are in a state of development and a spin off from his main range, which are basically toys, and are a good starting point for a scale model - I covered my goods shed with Evergreen board and batten sheet. Generally the ply is flat but I did have one roof that eventually needed epoxy to hold in shape, but as a rule they more or less fall together. Pop Up will probably replace a warped sheet if you come across this again - he has a very good approach to this sort of thing.

Well that is just lovely that its been thrown in. Was going to pick some up further down the line. I had originally made an attempt last night to get the gable ends to sit happily but I've removed them to trim round where the parts meet each other. Got some detailing parts on order as well for a small diorama I'm working on.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I am still plodding on with my goods shed and enjoying every minute. I cannot say strongly enough how impressed I am with this kit. For it's intended market it is phenominal. I for one wished as a 10 year old it had been available and cannot wait for my grandson to be old enough to throw it together and play. For me it represents a great way forward and I am thoroughlly enjoying embellishing it to standards to which I aspire and which are probably beyond my talents. The ERG method of board and batten reproduction is so far proving successful and not to laborious. Unlike the replacement roof trusses which are proving a little difficult. I am trying these so as to suit the whip crane in it's prototype position with the approriate upper support.

I hope we can perhaps persuade Iain and Andrew that a seperate sheet perhaps of trusses and internal framing might be made available but I realise this might not be a 'goer' as a business proposition.

As an aside it has taken me back to the days when my uncle introduced me to modelling a la Rev Beal and I am nostalgically seeking a copy of his book from the 40's .

Regards Ian

940363767_goodsshedrooftrusses.jpg.885ed439931b8f3c86c85e19c799b73c.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

The thread on card and shellac was my first attempt at school for  Georgemas junction box  in N - I am sure it was rubbish but it got me started... All these models and skills help recreate the Highland- and of course other railways.  Good to see the results of your labours -  You can now get sheets of slates to match the kit sections from Pop up.  The set up time was not that big so perhaps lifting the truses from the cutting programme to make a sheet of same might me ok - always worth the ask .

Robert      

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

A new realease from Pop Up based on the waiting room at Duror and Appin on the Oban-Ballachulish line.

Designed by Iain Ross once more. 

https://www.popupdesigns.co.uk/shop/railway-scale-models/oo-duror-appin-shelter-or-waiting-room-1x-a4/

Here is a link to the similar building at Kentallen on the line

https://www.railscot.co.uk/img/32/96/

Another wonderful little kit from Iain and Pop Up. 

• Like 5
  • Round of applause 1

22 hours ago, Ben Alder said:

On its way to Pop Up is the laser version of Plockton - should be available soon, acc to Iain. More Highland temptation....

Plockton Road.jpg

Plockton Platform.jpg

Ben , in your opinion which of the Pop Up kits station buildings (IF ANY) would be most suited to my layout ?

Thread here (you have commented in the past on this) 

TIA

• RMweb Premium
On 26/02/2021 at 10:50, 46444 said:

A new realease from Pop Up based on the waiting room at Duror and Appin on the Oban-Ballachulish line.

Designed by Iain Ross once more. 

https://www.popupdesigns.co.uk/shop/railway-scale-models/oo-duror-appin-shelter-or-waiting-room-1x-a4/

Here is a link to the similar building at Kentallen on the line

https://www.railscot.co.uk/img/32/96/

Another wonderful little kit from Iain and Pop Up. 

I would be up for an N Scale version if that is possible?

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, sulzer71 said:

Ben , in your opinion which of the Pop Up kits station buildings (IF ANY) would be most suited to my layout ?

Thread here (you have commented in the past on this) 

TIA

Plockton or the soon to follow Dornoch would both look at home, but probably I'd plump for Plockton.

• Like 1

On 28/02/2021 at 14:26, Ben Alder said:

On its way to Pop Up is the laser version of Plockton - should be available soon, acc to Iain. More Highland temptation....

Plockton Road.jpg

Plockton Platform.jpg

Am I alone in thinking, pace Highland fans, that this building would also make a superb freelance Light Railway terminus building?

I'm just thinking of an excuse because these look excellent and probably very satisfying to construct.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Oh I like that, went past it several times on the way to school.. Might arrive on my Highland railway if they do it in N..

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, TheQ said:

Oh I like that, went past it several times on the way to school.. Might arrive on my Highland railway if they do it in N..

Hi  Up the thread to Feb , page 5 and you and enjoy my 3D print arrival from Open Factory printer Barnabas - he is part of the mighty empire of the Pop up crew !  He even got column inches for 3D printing face visors due to the passing plague...  all good folk. 

Robert.

• Agree 2