Pop Up - building kits

definate maybe

• RMweb Gold

According to Iain it sounds as if Duror Station building will soon be ready as well to complement the waiting room released recently. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 27/03/2021 at 07:32, 46444 said:

This one has a new approach to the window frames: they're now on a separate piece, 0.8mm thick, which the builder needs to insert into apertures in the walls, whereas before they were just cut out as part of the walls and therefore 3mm (?) thick, which looked silly. This is an improvement. 

The walls and roofs are still riddled with silly, and unnecessary holes for the slot-and-tab construction, however. 

Any recommendations on glue?  

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Indeed the windows are an improvement from our point of view as modellers but I wouuld not like to see the slot and tab construction go as we can deal with it fairly easily but the intended market of younger modellers would find this a boon.

As I have  said before I look forward to my grandson being a bit older and making these with him just as my Uncle did with ply wood and Merco papers when I was young, Ian

Ps have found Roket card glue fine

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Oh boy, this could become addictive!!  All this exciting news on top of my son sending me photos of the test shot 3d prints of windows for the goods shed I drew for him having been following Carl's fusion 360 tutorials. What fun in lock-out!!!! Ian

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I have been in contact with Iain with regards to designing a new kit for a small North British Railway signal box and station building. 

I've been thinking about either the Fife region or Midlothian. From my research I've not really come up with anything suitable. I have the Knox book on Vanished Railways of West Lothian along with a few other Scottish books. 

Any suggestions from more knowledgable folks.

Thanks in advance. 

Cheers, 

Mark 

• Like 1

This website should give you a brief history of NBR signal boxes.

As for which one, I guess a lot depends on any limitations with the laser-cutting process and kit assembly.

Simplest is probably the early all brick which were built to different lengths.

A good example still intact is Bogside (Fife) on the closed Stirling & Dunfermline line.

The design undergoes development over the years, the vertical pillars between the sash windows becoming narrower, later still with taller sash windows.

A further refinement (1908) sees the sash windows changed with smaller upper windows above much larger lower windows.

If you contact the North British Railway Study Group, they should be able to provide scale drawings.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Dear All,

Just a short post on the goods shed. Returned yesterday from a visit to my son, first in 8 months. Ostensibily to play with grandson but really to see son's 3d printer and pick up the windows I had drawn. My thanks go to, particularly,  two members of this parish, Iain Ross for guidance and inspiration and Carl W for his tutorials in 3d drawing which prompted me to start learning 3d drawing.

To be honest these efforts are not 20210502_075707.jpg.5edbc4b970675edf08a7bbebf020347e.jpgin the same league as putting a rover 20210502_072446.jpg.090e071c8e53bb17efe449c82488ea23.jpg20210502_072446.jpg.090e071c8e53bb17efe449c82488ea23.jpgMars but in terms of personal pride [ I know , "cometh before a fall" ] to me they are not far behind.

The first window I drew to scale but followings Iain's advice redrew it slightly sturdier in case of printing failure. Both worked. It takes a little fettling to fit them and in honesty I will in future cut out the windows before "threading the sides, to make a neater job.

The main difficulty I now have will be allocating my limited modelling time between drawing windows for the kits I have and making the kits!!

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Eddie, most impressed with your efforts! I am almost at the stage of roofing my shed and have been investigating roofing papers. I had intended to use York model making roofing paper but on mulling it over it seems a bit " bland". Following a fellow Highland society modellers comments about using Scale Model Scenery's  roof downloads and printing in monochrome I though I would instead go down that root. Just yesterday I tried to order the said download but could not find it on their site. Contacting them I was told that they only did downloads via a Railway modellers club website and then only free to premium  members at c. £60

per annum. Did you purchase pre printed sheets? They look very good. My other default go to is a Greek chap in Thessanolika on eBay whose textured sheets are superb but since Brexit his costs have gone way up. I was pointed in his direction by Ben Alder and am torn as to ordering his sheets or now using yours. 

As an aside has anyone used the eBay chaps slate roof sheets, it looks superb, but I am still dithering over a £25 punt that might not be what it appears.(My excuse is that in 9 years in Aberdeen I not only absorbed radiation from the granite but canniness as well!) All advice gratefully received. Ian

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for that Eddie. The roof looks great . Did you slice it and lay it in rows or is it indeed in 3D as the papers from The Greek chap are. (embossed) . I do find the use of the word textures in this context perplexing as it implies a tactile element to the printing whereas most sheets are 2d with artistic 3D .

Ian

• RMweb Premium

Dear All,

The postie delivered the embossed weathered slate roof paper from 'our man in thessalonika' today. I am very impressed. I am attaching a photo of the paper laid on the goods shed. As I said I am impressed. It has two draw backs. 1. There is a suggestion of colour difference showing the pattern repeat and, 2. it is printed portrait which means longer roofs will need a join.

Other than this it looks the bees knees from 18 inches.

On saturday the laser cut roof paper arrived from scale model scenery so  just as the RAF had aircraft with the A&AEE Boscombe Down, I have this goods shed with which to experiment . I found lots of 3mm ply in the shed so maybe an interchangeable roof to judge the results

Although at the rate I am modelling at present , this project will go on for many a year. Still thanks to Pop Up for the fun.

Now to an admission of stupidity. In my first posting on the roof paper ,I had not cottoned on to the fact that Scale Model Scenery do two ranges and that searching their site for roof paper brings up there standard printed sheets. [prefix TX]. I found the laser cut roofing eventually[ Prefix LX] . Thak you Eddie for the advice and inspiration.

Would any of you gentlemen like to advise me on your favorite adhesive for both the normal roof paper and the lasercut slate strips.

Thanks again gentlemen for all the encouragement , advice and inspiration,

Ian2117088581_goodsshedroofingpaper.jpg.922a1e1daf0591f3691c30191f57db57.jpg

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Superb, Ben Alder!  

As a matter of interest, where did you source the clocks on the two stations, please?  They are rather neat, and I could do with one or two, but don't want to buy a complete kit!

John S