Pop Up - building kits

definate maybe

2 hours ago, it's-er said:

Superb, Ben Alder!  

As a matter of interest, where did you source the clocks on the two stations, please?  They are rather neat, and I could do with one or two, but don't want to buy a complete kit!

John S

Thanks, they came off a Sankey Scenics clock faces sheet which has about two dozen different designs, including three of the type I used.

HTH

Edited by Ben Alder

Just to let you all know, Strathspey Railway shop at Boat of Garten Station has the kits of Boat of Garten Signal Box and Boat of Garten Station and Station Master's House. These are by PopUp Designs, to their usual standard, but  are not on their website (possibly an "exclusive" to the Strathspey Railway)
The FB page for Boat of Garten Station has contact details should anyone wish to order, or drop me a PM, as I shall be visiting again soon.

https://www.facebook.com/Boat-of-Garten-Railway-Station-313483999062978/

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The Cupar kit is a result of Cupar & District Model Railway Club working with the designer Iain Ross, we provided the architectural drawings and many photos.  

The kit will initially form part of a diorama that will be displayed at Cupar Model Rail 2022 and in an unannounced venue within the town in late Summer 2022. 

The diorama will also be made available for display at events, attractions and groups in Cupar and the surrounding area. 

Ultimately we plan on incorporating it into a OO Gauge model railway exhibition layout.

17119712-943A-4970-8B35-8DC56E3D61BF.jpeg

6C0C5221-BE81-4E5C-8E8E-6EEFBC40D511.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I notice that as well as Rogart Signal box that the PopUp website is also showing Rannoch Signal Box. 

I’ve been wondering how to approach a West Highland box so my wishes have been answered and will be ordering shortly.

• RMweb Gold

There is a 3D print signalbox in the Etsy range via the pop up family, but cannot find the link. 945211029_HRcabin121120002.jpg.4cfd18e6922e22ebd94d7897d389e059.jpg780781024_HRcabin121120003.jpg.ac97c676bb9364a6f4c6617382b0e7e4.jpg

the two pictures show the raw print, the roof is an insertable part  for ease of painting, the raw shows the filiament fluff in the windows but easily cleaned up with a sharp blade. Bottom shows as painted - bauxite primer on tiles, spray white primer and Posca pens for a brick base and corner woodwork.

Robert     

Iain's 3D range is in a bit of a hiatus at the moment, it seems, but presumably he will revisit it sometime. I have had two printed versions of this from him and the first was very striated and all but impossible to clean up between the boards. The second was a lot better but I haven't started painting it yet. The one piece  body print means it is very difficult to reach the door and landing ends to paint. I have suggested some alterations to Iain but he has a lot of work in the pipeline on the wooden side of things. at the moment.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Lazer N Rogart cabin progress , hats off to Andrew at Pop up having taken up the challenge of reducing a 4mm design to 2mm.  0.8mm thick ply for window frames and 1.5mm for the main shape . 1115309695_Ngaugerogart200122004.jpg.09044f84aaa5fde6d93c5bf0029241d3.jpg

Basic shape, I have trimmed the baseplate to minimal size  with 2mm off the outside to enable fitting into scenery on the layout.

1448208728_Ngaugerogart200122005.jpg.b0b4bbe0418d37bf757bc8cf50ad4422.jpg

0.8 ply , sprayed in white primer , showing the fine window frames, the land around them is the glue space to mount inside the core. Having  sprayed I wondered if the frame outline would cut so new blade and yes so as a trail I have flush fitted to front.  The photo also shows lots of levers these can be assembled to give interior details, HR cabins were often not much more than covered leverframes with token instruments in the station building so having just a frame and chair is fine, bike outside for roving signalman of course! The Rogart mnameboard might be a step too far as the letters have broken but as my roundy has yet to get a name this is not a problem. The cut name on the core shape easily covrered, but does show what the lazer with a good design can create, well beyond my tec skill it has to be said, but a joy to assemble this well thoughtout kit.

It is still a development item but Andrew was happy for me to show progress.

Robert    

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

1604156289_Ngaugerogart200122006.jpg.f9102ad14ebbd2052d7a2b4fa417db5e.jpg

little update, the locking room window frame inserted into hole and not fitted behind as is operating level frames- sharp blade to slice 0.8 ply but worked ok and totally disguises 1.5 ply thickness  of main walls.  The lazer label says 4mm but it is a 2mm sheet.  As shown second front as a spare so kit is generous in the extreme.

Robert  

• Like 2

• 11 months later...

Have just acquired Rannoch Station in N gauge. Tips on assembly please? Rocket card glue or alternative. Haven’t used Redutex but gets mentioned in the thread. Had wondered about using Scalescenes roofing strip technique too. Paint selections and specific prototypical colours? What has worked well and not well for folk? Thanks in advance 

Rocket will be fine - Redutex wil probably be a bit coarse for n; a paper covering will be better.I build the model and then spray with a grey acrylic and then finish with building papers or acrylic paint depending on the prototype exterior. You will manage Rannoch by painting I imagine as the embossed brick finish is fine once painted. Plenty on line images of Rannoch over the years if you do a search, but Ernies Archives has a West Highland album of mainly colour pictures that is a treasure  trove for the modeller as it concentrates mainly on infrastructure rather than trains.Any modellers range of acrylics will suit these kits. HTH.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1