June 2020 BRM

Howard Smith

• Moderators

Looking forward to the weekend, yet? Here's something to look forward to – our action-packed, boredom busting, all-shiny new issue of BRM goes live! Download your copy this Friday from pocketmags.com/BRM and swap lockdown blues for uplifting miniature creations.

In this episode of BRM TV, we tour Alsager Model Railway Association’s large N gauge club layout ‘Fredstone Lane’ and its main lines. Plus, Phil Parker shares guidance for constructing your first wagon chassis and Howard Smith airbrushes sleepers to make a common lineside detail for BRM’s project layout.

In this issue, we feature four great layouts:

Feature_11.jpg.28c10efd63a51697747ecb260ff86eea.jpg

Fredstone Lane (N)

1060864874_BridgefieldQuarry07.jpg.f2f891311d6c245c37aa5b1484e5b0a5.jpg

Bridgefield Quarries (O)

woodside.jpg.f8afa6869ddbd194176ebb7c8190cb3c.jpg

Woodside (OO)

byway.jpg.97088ac7550146a9b192854a07e3ed84.jpg

and Byway MPD (OO)

Practical BRM gives you great tips for:

2053935042_Lambstead7.jpg.15d8e7715ad1ce2715ca790d2f5f1756.jpg

... drawing your ideal layout plan...

Container8.jpg.d82ab11471378a6817dec7e3c4217757.jpg

...creating great rust effects using hairspray...

708109058_IsinglassPigeonVan11.jpg.7ebca364235bb346f15cfce25a9931d7.jpg

...building an LNER 'Pigeon' van multi-media kit...

788124525_FinishedModel.jpg.b886f25510f93f0298b6179d7a16e51b.jpg

...constructing a pit head from a brass kit using glue...

runcorn.jpg.2a5099e1e50babaf3428698d6ed9be56.jpg

... and BRM's project layout Runcorn Salt Union is complete as the final details are added.

We also explore British Railways uniforms so you can model them accurately, no matter what your scale of choice.

1099210647_MAINIMAGE.jpg.6c99d4ba832c8dc5a9798e2453a4a225.jpg

All this and more, in the June issue of BRM, with BRM TV, on-sale this Friday from www.pocketmags.com/BRM

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Howard , Even in Lockdown these months seem to be flying by!    Could you tell me when the printed version is expected to be available  and will it have a DVD this time ?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Legend said:

Thanks Howard , Even in Lockdown these months seem to be flying by!    Could you tell me when the printed version is expected to be available  and will it have a DVD this time ?

Fair comment - certainly, I don't seem to be getting any chance to get on with modelmaking projects.

OK - this might have something to do with some family issues preventing me from getting any "me time"  - but it's still incredibly frustrating, as I've got a few projects very close to the point where I could easily get something worthwhile done if I actually got the chance.

As for the printed versions of the magazines, there's been some great stuff in recent issues of BRM. The issues I've seen of Garden Rail have also been rather good - but not all of them seem to have been finding their way into the shops round here.

I guess I might have to try checking shows, or model shops - whenever the current lockdown finally ends (hopefully in time for Warley - with all of last year being "knocked out" for me by various family issues, it's now 18 months since I was last able to get to a show).

Huw.

Edited by Huw Griffiths
In view of other people's comments on a related issue in another thread, I felt that some points could do with rewording / clarification.
  • Like 1

• Moderators
17 hours ago, Legend said:

Printed copies hit the shelves on May 21 though unfortunately won't have a DVD. However, we'll proceed as per last time - digital subscribers will get it and print subscribers where we have contact details will be emailed the link.

H

• Like 2

• Moderators

This month’s Digital Edition is one of our biggest ever and includes a FREE issue of Traction magazine.

cover.jpg.a25785b12e6564a041c7e57d9a3be45f.jpg

4.jpg.8161691fe50e3f1b4b3dd94d48ac69c5.jpg

Exclusive Digital Edition extras include 15 bonus videos, this month’s episode of BRM TV, 40 unseen layout pictures and two more practical articles!

1.jpg.d8230949c98e0048e01b31898203cb1d.jpg

2.jpg.b2f9cc7dfcd1eb42dfbd8d225d3b9ac6.jpg

3.jpg.103160f6f970c07528e83ba26d005c3f.jpg

This is just a snippet of what makes BRM June one of our best-ever Digital Editions. Download it now and you’ll see what we mean!

Here's a look at what's in this episode of BRM TV...

Enjoy!

• RMweb Gold

Do you get the digital content only on the pocketmags version and not on the exactly version?

Edited by BoD

• Moderators
On 15/05/2020 at 20:22, BoD said:

Do you get the digital content only on the pocketmags version and not on the exactly version?

Exact Editions as part of the RMweb Gold package provides a digital clone of the printed magazine. The extra videos and bonus photographs (as per above) are exclusive to the pocketmags edition.

H

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
4 hours ago, Andy Hayter said:

Am I the only one who cannot access a number of the videos on the virtual exhibition?   I just get a message, "Video not available."

We'll need to look into that; I haven't got access to what you'll be seeing via Pocketmags to see what's happening with any links.

• Moderators
4 hours ago, Andy Hayter said:

Am I the only one who cannot access a number of the videos on the virtual exhibition?   I just get a message, "Video not available."

Hi Andy, checking through Pocketmags, I can confirm all links are live and working. Without wanting to sound like I'm stating the obvious, you'll need internet acces to view these. If the problem persists, please PM me.

H

• Like 1

Found a copy in my local Spar shop. Never seen it in there before. Bought it for something to look at during lockdown.

Pleased to see an old friend and his layout in there, Dave Spencer. I knew him when we were both members of Marlow, Maidenhead & District club.

steve

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, steve1 said:

Found a copy in my local Spar shop. Never seen it in there before. Bought it for something to look at during lockdown.

Pleased to see an old friend and his layout in there, Dave Spencer. I knew him when we were both members of Marlow, Maidenhead & District club.

steve

Dave is a really good modeller, I got to know him when we joined the Bentley crew in Chippenham within a week of each other and we meet up every couple of weeks (virtually at the moment) for some beer and model making. Dave taught me a lot about wagon weathering and scenics which he is excellent at. 

• Agree 1

What does the cover of the retail/shop magazines look like,

or is that plastered in 'Bumper Digital Issue' too.
Why? because the person who collects my copy from Sainsburys (this Wednesday) likes to have a photo on his phone to ensure he picks up the right magazine.
I'm still in lockdown, etc., 

Thank you.

Edited by Penlan

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Penlan said:

is that plastered in 'Bumper Digital Issue' too

No, it won't have all those yellow tags on it either. Tell him it says Nature Calls on the cover, he'll probably remember that.

Screenshot_20200525-150718.png

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Have just seen this can't use pocket mags as old iPad but quite fancy the BRM mag with traction mag- is there a non digital bundle available or can I buy traction on line for the Warrington article?

cheers

mark

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Markwj said:

Have just seen this can't use pocket mags as old iPad but quite fancy the BRM mag with traction mag- is there a non digital bundle available or can I buy traction on line for the Warrington article?

cheers

mark

All issues available here: https://www.world-of-railways.co.uk/Store/Back-Issues

• Thanks 1

AY Mod, many thanks.
'Nature Calls', as he's picking up various Ales. Ciders etc., to sustain our house for another week, 
I think he will see the connection :jester:
Words unfortunately are not enough for a description of BRM, as he has demonstrated in the past with wrong mags....
So a photo of the cover helps him to select.   Model Railways is an alien subject to him.
No trouble getting the right Beers/Ciders though, 'Bath Gem' and 'Thatchers Gold'.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, AY Mod said:

No, it won't have all those yellow tags on it either. Tell him it says Nature Calls on the cover, he'll probably remember that.

Screenshot_20200525-150718.png

Pop into Smiths and ask for the Nature Calls magazine.

Got it.

What could possibly go wrong? 

Rob. 

Edited by NHY 581
  • Like 1
  • Funny 3

And why don't I have the Digital version?
(Or subs, but that's another matter)
Once read, and anything useful copied, the mags go to the local Hospital for patients.
It's a small hospital, so no Smiths etc., to upset.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 25/05/2020 at 18:27, Phil Parker said:

Thanks ordered the back copy and they sent the wrong issue, have contacted and sorted out but I did notice in the issue they sent in error of traction (may/ June) that Andy seems to be responsible for all of the modelling content reviews- layout photos the lot - he does get about a bit doesn't he!

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

@ Chris Fletcher-Smith (letter published in BRM),

Are you reading this? I can suggest a solution to your shed dilemma if you’re interested.

I built a shed to my own specification, including doors, insulation and making and glazing my own window frames. My experience might be useful for you...???

It is still standing some years later :wink_mini:. It’s a very useful space, no problems yet and I’m very glad that I’ve got it.

Edited by Harlequin

• Moderators
21 hours ago, Harlequin said:

@ Chris Fletcher-Smith (letter published in BRM),

Are you reading this? I can suggest a solution to your shed dilemma if you’re interested.

I built a shed to my own specification, including doors, insulation and making and glazing my own window frames. My experience might be useful for you...???

It is still standing some years later :wink_mini:. It’s a very useful space, no problems yet and I’m very glad that I’ve got it.

I can put him in touch with you, if you don't mind me sending him your email?

H