Suggestion - replies exclude images

• RMweb Gold
41 minutes ago, MartynJPearson said:

Having been browsing one of the photo threads, I came across a comment echoing my thoughts, so wanted to suggest an update if possible within the constraints of the forum software.

When quoting a previous comment in a reply and that comment has pictures, could there be an option to include / exclude images from the reply - the default being to exclude. It gets tiresome scrolling past repeats of the same image when some quotes the post, especially when their comment is simply appreciation of the pictures!

It's just the laziness of the person who replies, even I can remove unwanted text and pics from a post, so the facility is there, some people just need a kick up the proverbial.

Mike.

• Like 1
  • Agree 14

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, Kier Hardy said:

It's not just the chaff and repeated images created by lazy people, it's also the pointless comments such as "I agree with you" when there's an agree button in the previous post. 

There is a certain person doing that, presumably to up his post count, the like button is what he should be using, floods the forum in the morning!

Mike.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

When replying with a quote I remove unnecessary text, unless there wasn't much text to begin with, but wasn't aware that the same could be done with images. Instead of having a go at those who leave images in their replies, how about simply explaining that it can, and should, be done ?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, caradoc said:

When replying with a quote I remove unnecessary text, unless there wasn't much text to begin with, but wasn't aware that the same could be done with images. Instead of having a go at those who leave images in their replies, how about simply explaining that it can, and should, be done ?

What is difficult about removing images? Highlight the image and press delete! 

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, caradoc said:

I thought most people would understand what the backspace button does?

No doubt other options are available to those who are more computer savvy.

Mike.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

What is difficult about removing images? Highlight the image and press delete! 

Nothing is difficult if you know how to do it, just as no question is stupid if you don't know the answer.

And now, with Enterprisingwestern's reply, we already appear to have two ways of doing the same thing !

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

Delete and backspace are the same key?

Delete removes the character in front of the cursor, backspace reomoves the character behind the cursor.

• Moderators

Horses and water.

I spend a fair amount of time relocating topics to the right area, correcting useless topic titles and much more besides; things that you would think would be best done right in the first place. A lot of it goes back to my previous 'ineptitude/laziness' comment.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, caradoc said:

how about simply explaining that it can, and should, be done ?

Assuming you don't know this already, there is a method for just quoting the relevant part of a message (as I just did above).

Instead of clicking "Quote", at the bottom of the post, all you do is select a part of the original message so that it is highlighted. You will then see a pop-up button "Quote selection" which you can click on. You will then only be quoting the bit of text you selected.

HTH,

David

Edited by Kylestrome
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 11

• RMweb Gold

This keyboard layout - this is an iMac - is common to all Apple items that I have seen. Only MacBook Pro with Touch Bar is different in that the top row is replaced by a contextual touch-sensitive row. 

Edited by Oldddudders

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

This keyboard layout - this is an iMac - is common to all Apple items that I have seen. Only MacBook Pro with Touch Bar is different in that the top row is replaced by a contextual touch-sensitive row. 

Well, if you insist on using toy computers....  :jester:

• Funny 5

2 hours ago, dhjgreen said:

I meant to add that I know nothing about fruit based machines:crazy_mini:

But did you still include the image in the reply? In a thread about that very same thing!!!!! LOL!!

:)

As for Delete vs Backspace on a Mac, Fn + Backspace does a delete. 

On 13/05/2020 at 12:39, Kylestrome said:

Instead of clicking "Quote", at the bottom of the post, all you do is select a part of the original message so that it is highlighted. You will then see a pop-up button "Quote selection" which you can click on. You will then only be quoting the bit of text you selected.

That is awesome Kylestrome!  I did not know you could do that and it is really useful.  Even better than delete.

The constant repeat of quotes with original images is really frustrating and can make it very difficult to read a thread.  It is even worse when people quote other peoples quotes and include the original image.  I have just seen one thread that had six repeats of the original image!

I vote for a code change to make it necessary of have to positively include an image in the quote rather than relying on people to manually delete them from the quoted text.  A Simple check box button in the Edit window that stays "Include ordinal image/s in quote?".    Hopefully this would not be seen as editorial restriction on posts but a tool to help us write better conversations in a thread, which are then more enjoyable to read.

Edited by Jaggzuk
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 13/05/2020 at 10:29, Enterprisingwestern said:

There is a certain person doing that, presumably to up his post count, the like button is what he should be using, floods the forum in the morning!

Mike.

Still happening.

Mike.

Ooops, I seem to have quoted my own post, sorry!!

• RMweb Gold

There are a couple of threads I'm now not bothering to look at (which is a shame as some of the content is very good) as the continual quoting of long picture laden posts just to say how nice something is means wading through pages and pages of the same material. The irony is that some posters look at the page count and claim it to be one of the most (if not 'The') popular threads on RMWeb.  I waded through 10 pages recently which was barely a 1-2 of new content.

I found the highlight and quote by accident some weeks ago, very useful and probably what I use the most.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1