Suggestion - replies exclude images

I too have been using the 'highlight and quote' facility explained earlier here by Kylestrome, and most useful it is too; I was simply not aware of it previously. I do however admit to sometimes still including pictures in replies, if the quote does not make a lot of sense without them.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
On 13/05/2020 at 11:29, Enterprisingwestern said:

There is a certain person doing that, presumably to up his post count, the like button is what he should be using, floods the forum in the morning!

The odd thing is, his own threads show some really competent modelling. He is by no means a no-hoper looking for friends. 

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, caradoc said:

I too have been using the 'highlight and quote' facility explained earlier here by Kylestrome, and most useful it is too; I was simply not aware of it previously. I do however admit to sometimes still including pictures in replies, if the quote does not make a lot of sense without them.

I don't think anybody is saying don't ever include pictures, it's the ad infinitum repetition that brasses people off.

Mike.

• Agree 5

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

I've just noticed this feature on the Irish Railway Modeller forum, see the first post on this page. The quote with a photo is compressed  by default and has to be expanded to view it. It solves the problem discussed here. Could it be implemented on RMweb, or would it overload the server?

On 13/05/2020 at 13:18, Oldddudders said:

This keyboard layout - this is an iMac - is common to all Apple items that I have seen.

You've not seen the Apple keyboard with numeric keypad, then:

280822242_AppleKeyboardwithNumericKeypad.png.ee967ca04942e6c9a81bb322da95dd47.png

Highly recommended - both the missus and I use one (though we buy them second-hand off eBay rather than pay Apple's somewhat eye-watering prices).

• Moderators
On 27/09/2020 at 17:05, Nile said:

I've just noticed this feature on the Irish Railway Modeller forum, see the first post on this page. The quote with a photo is compressed  by default and has to be expanded to view it. It solves the problem discussed here. Could it be implemented on RMweb, or would it overload the server?

That looks to be a new feature on the next version of the core software. I've been hanging back (as there's always a bug fix within a few days that would need installing) until I could assess the compatibility of other mods and plug-ins we utilise with the new version. We should be moving on to the new version in a few days now I've checked which will inevitably involve some tweaking when implemented as the look and feel is a little different.

For anyone who's interested the release notes are here - https://invisioncommunity.com/release-notes/

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Just seen the implementation of this default pic compression in an RMweb thread and it's brill - exactly what was wanted to avoid so many huge pics being quoted needlessly. It also helps those of us with limited download speed to get a page loaded expeditiously. Great update!

• Agree 5
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

Just seen the implementation of this default pic compression in an RMweb thread and it's brill - exactly what was wanted to avoid so many huge pics being quoted needlessly. It also helps those of us with limited download speed to get a page loaded expeditiously. Great update!

Seconded, really positive update.

Just need to add a feature now that periodically says "Stop reading stuff and actually get on with some modelling" :)

• Agree 2
  • Funny 3