Ratio 48ft LMS ex Midland Suburban Brake kit

ianLMS

• RMweb Gold

Its definately a minefield!!!!  As i am not confident lining to that level, i would be comfortable with going with the simple lining livery of just a waist band and the top lines being used. I have made the queen post trussing and will remove one set of footboards for the non brake end bogie.

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, ianLMS said:

the simple lining livery of just a waist band and the top lines being used. 

I think it would be difficult to prove that that was wrong for late 30s condition though my feeling is that the balance of probability is in favour of well-worn full lining. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

I might just have to pluck up the courage to fully line it and see how we go!! 

Queen truss now installed on underframe. Just waiting for bogies. Proscale Webb Coal tank also primed ready for painting.

20200517_230355.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Dont think that if coachman painted something that that would be correct for the prototype.

Looking at when the full lining was last used either

Ot would be patched up if ever ot got to the works

Or

It would fade away. 

Would these coaches have been repainted crimson? 

But the rebuilt ex Ambulance train coaches produced for use on the CLC (PD I Corridor stock without corridor connectors) were given simplified lining when outshoped in 1947.

I think Ian whatever you do will be "right" unless someone finds a photograp...

Baz

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
55 minutes ago, Barry O said:

Dont think that if coachman painted something that that would be correct for the prototype.

Looking at when the full lining was last used either

Ot would be patched up if ever ot got to the works

Or

It would fade away. 

Would these coaches have been repainted crimson? 

But the rebuilt ex Ambulance train coaches produced for use on the CLC (PD I Corridor stock without corridor connectors) were given simplified lining when outshoped in 1947.

I think Ian whatever you do will be "right" unless someone finds a photograp...

Baz

I read that as meaning that Coachman would get the livery right, with which I wholly agree!

I assume that the 1933 renumbering was done without full repaint, otherwise it would have put an impossible strain on the paint shops.

Fading gracefully away seems to me the most likely state of affairs. It's the BR crimson question that's intriguing. 

The ex-ambulance coaches you mention would, like anything else going through the paintshop, be (re)painted in the latest livery. I've no doubt there wasn't the manpower in 1947 for painting in the old fully-lined style, even if there had been the desire to do so.

Photographs, photographs...

8 minutes ago, Barry O said:

Nope Larry didn't always paint things correctly.. especially in his early days..

Baz

I agre.  One example was a Hawksworth brake composite which he painted blood and custard and numbered W7372W.  That was one of the two never to carry that livery.  It and W7377W were kept for VIP work and when not thus employed lived in the shed at Old Oak.  They went straight from GWR chocolate and cream to the BR version.  Both are preserved.

Chris

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 20/05/2020 at 09:53, Barry O said:

Nope Larry didn't always paint things correctly.. especially in his early days..

Baz

Duplicate post.  How did that happen?

Chris

Edited by chrisf
duplicate post

• RMweb Gold

Well, i took the plunge and attempted to line the coach using an easi-liner pen with 0.25mm nib and Precision Paints LMS coach lining yellow.

I am a little embarressed to put the results up as quite honestly it is awful,  but i wont shy away as its my first ever attempt and i am hoping my skills will improve over time. 

20200528_131506.jpg

Edited by ianLMS
  • Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
31 minutes ago, ianLMS said:

Well, i took the plunge and attempted to line the coach using an easi-liner pen with 0.25mm nib and Precision Paints LMS coach lining yellow.

I am a little embarressed to put the results up as quite honestly it is awful,  but i wont shy away as its my first ever attempt and i am hoping my skills will improve over time. 

20200528_131506.jpg

You do not need to be embarrassed at all. For a first attempt at a difficult job I think you have done very well.

• RMweb Gold

Thank you Chris! Hopefully with practice i will improve. Might have a go with a bow pen but trials so far have been unsuccesful.

Question; for the Sheffield set we are building, what other coaches do i need.

I have so far the Ratio 5714 (2 of) 4 compartment brake 3rds, 1 x 5711 7 compartment all 1st and 1 x 5710 8 compartment all 3rd. Am i missing some or have i got the incorrect ones?

Thanks

Ian

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, ianLMS said:

Question; for the Sheffield set we are building, what other coaches do i need.

I have so far the Ratio 5714 (2 of) 4 compartment brake 3rds, 1 x 5711 7 compartment all 1st and 1 x 5710 8 compartment all 3rd. Am i missing some or have i got the incorrect ones?

For a Sheffield district set, you want two of the 4 compartment brake thirds, one 7-compartment carriage as a composite (compartments labelled 1/1/1/1/3/3/3 - the thirds did in fact have false partitions to reduce their width), and an optional 8-compartment third. So you have exactly what you need. No 6-compartment brake thirds were built for the Sheffield district sets.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Lining of the second coach (8 compartment all 3rd) is complete. Underframe modified with the queen post truss and MJT bogies all made and painted. Waiting for sides to dry so i can assemble the coach. Definete improvement on my first attempt. Top side used the easi-liner and the bottom side used a bow pen. The bow pen was very hit and miss and i had to keep stopping to clean the tip and refresh the paint. The easi-liner did it all in one hit but harder to get thin lines.

More practice needed!! 

Ian

20200612_161030.jpg

Edited by ianLMS
  • Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

Main colour is Phoenix Crimson Lake. The yellow is Phoenix LMS Yellow Coach Lining (satin) and the black is Humbrol gloss. The first coach was the phoenix yellow lining as is, but for the second coach i mixed a little cream colour in to take the brightness out.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

I havee found Tamiya black acrylic better than Humbrol for straight lines. I am investigating other Tamiya colours for both yellow and cream. They flow really well and dry quicker.

Baz

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

I have a Tamiya Lemon Yellow and a black. Tried them with my bow pen today and so far results are promising. Still not great, but a small improvement. The Tamiya paint definately flowed better.

Pen still got clogged up a lot but i guess thats the nature of them. 

Will post pics tomorrow of progress of coach No3. The 7 compartment, all first.

• RMweb Gold

Here are the pics of the sides lined using the Tamiya paint and a bow pen instead of the Phoenix/Humbrol.

Colour match seems pretty good and it flows better. 

Getting better, but still a long, long way to go!

20200617_065711_resized.jpg.55381c9217a8702595b7e0ea5d68fc9e.jpg

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1