Dapol 121 decoder choice

I have been tempted by an extremely good price for the above from a Liverpool retailer, so it should be with me in a view days.

Nowadays, I tend to only purchase the required decoder after the loco has been tested on DC, the recommended decoder is Dapol’s own 21 pin, however I have read that these are actually Lais which retail for approximately half the price.

A lot of owners have fitted their own favoured brand, with mixed results, mainly a problem with the saloon lights.

Just wondered if anyone has fitted a Lais 21 pin to this loco, and if everything works.

Thanks

Its the first ive heard that the imperiums are rebadged lais decoders. Ive got an imperium in mine and the saloon lights are still always on so I disable them using the switch inside the model.

Try the lais one ive got lais in other locos no issues at all

I originally put an Imperium 1 in my 122 , all the lights switched as they were supposed to.

I've since transferred it to a Dapol 29 and put a Soundtraxx Econami in the 122 and the lights work the same as before. I believe its to do with whether functions 5 and 6 are logic level or not which determines if they work properly.

Edit: Does the Lais have enough functions? The 121/122 needs at least 5.

Edited by giz

Some listings say 6 functions, others not clear. Just researching I’ve read that the function for the saloon lights can be changed in more expensive decoders, others talk of snipping wires! Must admit, never heard of logic functions before, let alone understand why they are necessary. The Imperium is out of stock at the normal box shifters, so may give the Lais a try, I’ve tried them on a couple of locos without issue. 

I'd use the £20 Zimo MX638D.   With that, best motor control available, every function output works, can be configured to any function key mapping wanted, has a CV configuration to work whichever of the two MTC-21 pin "standards" have been used for the higher level function outputs (logic level or full power).   

Why chase after alternatives ?

- Nigel 

I like Zimo decoders, especially with some “difficult” locos, however, now can’t find the site that said Lais do a a 21 pin 6 function one, so either misread it (likely) or dreamt it (quite likely). 08221 which Lais ones did you use please?