2mm/N Gauge code 40 bullhead rail - what to used for 'hinged' switch blades?

Hi Guys,

I am building a test 1in8 double slip to get practise for my upcoming layout based on King's Cross.

I wish to use 'hinged' switch blades, rather than relying on the rail flexing as I can see this can potentially cause clearance issues.

I was wondering what other 2mm track builders have used to hinge their switch blades? The best I have come up with so far, is trying to solder a piece of 0.15mm spring steel wire in the recess of the code 40 bullhead rail creating a springy joint between the fixed rail and switch blade. I am, however, finding it VERY difficult to solder, the spring steel wire simply doesn't like to take the solder, weather using liquid or 'fry's' powerflow flux.

I would like the hinge to be electrically bonded to allow current to flow to the moving switch blade.

I had a flick through my 2mm FS book 'Track' but didn't seem to find anything on 'hinged' switch blades.

Any ideas welcome, thanks in advance!!!

Thanks for your reply.

Funny you say that, as after I posted this is what I have done as it solders really nicely and is still 'springy'. I've used 0.2mm phosphor bronze wire.

It's encouraging to hear they have lasted 10 years, thanks!

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Great to hear the double slip 1 in 8s are in development, Wayne!

Best

Scott.

EDIT: I just realised maybe this isn't part of the FineTrax range, but handbuilt?

Edited by scottystitch

Hi Scotty,

Yes, it's a bit of a mix, really. I'm milling the custom bases that make up the entire formation on my CNC router, much like finetrax with the chair location holes, but I am not using castings for crossings, I am assembling these from rail in the traditional way.

A 1in8 slip for finetrax will come though, I'm just trying to sort a few other things out first.

On 13/05/2020 at 14:28, Wayne Kinney said:

I was wondering what other 2mm track builders have used to hinge their switch blades?

Do any 2mm track builders hinge them? The flex of the rail is enough. Do you have a copy of the 2mm Association "Track" book?

Edited by Crosland

2 hours ago, Crosland said:

Do any 2mm track builders hinge them? The flex of the rail is enough. 

Yes!.

Pre-grouping  railways used loose heel switches and there is a visible kink in the open switch/closure rail.

I drill a hole in the end of the blade then make a fishplate from a length of wire bent double and soldered to both sides of the closure rail.  I file a flat on one side of the wire so that it sits further under the head of the rail to clear the passing flanges.

Regards Roger

Hi @Wayne Kinney - I "inherited" Bill Blackburn's 2mmFS "Long Melford" project - he had used hinged switch blades on one crossover. It was already painted and ballasted, so I haven't been able to get a complete understanding of how he built them. It LOOKS like he might have filed off the bottom web of the bullhead rail at the pivot and soldered on a small flat headed brass pin (perhaps a 2mm loco flanged crankpin with the short end removed?) to act as the pivot.

Some pictures here: https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/124928-2mmfs-long-melford/page/2/ . I can take close ups if it would help? This has been a reminder of how long it has been since I made progress on that layout - whoops!

Justin

IMHO a 1:8 double slip (or even a 1:7 or 1:6) should not NEED hinged blades, they work fine with flexible blades in P4 so no reason they should not in 2FS. Creating hinges is just making the job more difficult. Of couse its different if you are modelling earlier prototypes with pivot heel blades, then you have to make the effort as it shows.