Shot down by the wife then ..............

Chilly

• RMweb Gold

Picking up Chimers point about automated gizmos, there are plenty of options on the market for sensors which can bring a train to a controlled gradual halt at a road end. That then mitigates the responsibility of managing multiple locos On a single person/controller basis.

Chilly,

I honestly believe that although DCC would be a good choice for your multi-locomotive end-to-end layout you would probably enjoy just operating one at a time.  You would be switching between locos every few seconds with the prospect of being pre-occupied shunting as another crashes into the buffers.  Yes you could fit all sorts of automatic breaking systems but imo the more automation the less pleasure in driving trains - in extreme it could be like the Marklin exhibition layouts where I'm sure you just press 'start' and off they go!

My recommendation would be to build just a section of your intended layout, say just the lower right hand half.  Wire it for DCC then buy a DCC starter set and a few loco chips.  By playing about with this setup you can learn to reprogramme chips to make your throttle settings consistent across locos etc.  You can also get to grips with layout construction, ballasting, scenics, etc.  It may not sound too exciting but will pay dividends for your modelling future.  As I mentioned earlier it is an ambitious layout for a solo modeller so be prepared to change horses at some time in the future.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

The planned layout would be perfect for operation by two people (stationmasters!) with one controller each.  Each sets up the next departure from their station, then control of the train locos gets swapped so each of you drives the train that arrives at your end.  A fat controller (with the panic emergency stop button) might also be advisable to avoid collisions out in the country, etc ….. 

But Jeff's advice about starting small is pretty sensible too ….

Edited by Chimer

Thank you for your ongoing patience.

The track is set in my mind (thanks Chimer 4 track station) it is looking like 2-3 controllers 1 each for the lines and 1 for the sidings if I have understood this.

And then we are back to the dreaded system, Gaugemaster Advance 2 looks good but Digitras DS52 also and if we are at DC points running it which I like the idea of as it something different and separate and does not need decoders looks good. 

Thanks Chilly  

Edited by Chilly

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Chilly said:

Thank you for your ongoing patience.

The track is set in my mind (thanks Chimer 4 track station) it is looking like 2-3 controllers 1 each for the lines and 1 for the sidings if I have understood this.

And then we are back to the dreaded system, Gaugemaster Advance 2 looks good but Digitras DS52 also and if we are at DC points running it which I like the idea of as it something different and separate and does not need decoders looks good. 

Thanks Chilly  

The question of how many controllers is surely directly related to the likely number of operators you will have. If you’re likely to be a solo operator, you can start with a single controller.

This is why I said get one that's compatible with engine driver. Visiting operators can bring their own controllers (so long as they own a smart phone), and you'd only need one for yourself.

You could conceivably have at least 4 operators - one taking a train tech direction and one at each end putting the next departure together. But there's no need to have 4 controllers.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Chilly said:

it is looking like 2-3 controllers 1 each for the lines and 1 for the sidings if I have understood this.

You're missing the point that with DCC the controllers are not tied in any way to separate lines.  If you had 3 controllers you could switch them to 3 locos sitting in the same siding and crash them into one another if you really wanted to ….

I have tried controlling two trains simultaneously myself.  Believe me, it's not easy.  Three I wouldn't contemplate on my own.

You are currently talking mainly to people who like drawing layout plans.  For advice on DCC matters you should really go here ….. https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/forum/178-dcc-help-questions/  Just don't expect consensus if you ask "which is best"!

• RMweb Gold

To put it another way, with DCC you control trains, not sections of track.

Like Zomboid I also use a Sprog device and the JMRI app to control my layout, which allows any tablet or smartphone to be a "controller" (actually it's more correct to call them "throttles"). This is very flexible and cost effective because you don't have to buy proprietary wireless devices.

JMRI is a bit techy and a bit clunky but, ignoring the wireless throttles for a moment, it's great for controlling multiple trains from the main computer. You can open several throttle windows on screen and then you can clearly see the identity of each loco along with all it's function buttons and throttle slider. Then just moving the mouse pointer over the appropriate throttle slider and rolling the mouse wheel adjusts the speed. I love this method of driving and it's very easy to jump between multiple moving locos that way.

Edited by Harlequin

As an American president would say I misspoke what I meant was a Digitrax - Zephyr Express, I like the idea of a throttle physically moved by hand rather than a by a mouse sliding a throttle on a screen. 

All your comments are valid and I think I need to rein in my exuberance and not get too carried away, crawl before walking me thinks.

Phase 1 is complete - track designed.

Phase 2 is in progress baseboard build

Phase 3 locos 10 - check

Phase 4 - track no stock anywhere

Code 75 required

I need 42 pieces of Flex - so may as well get 2 packs of the 25

SLE 190- 1of these

SLE 191 - 15

SLE 192 - 7

SLE 194 - 1

Chilly

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, Chilly said:

Code 75 required

I need 42 pieces of Flex - so may as well get 2 packs of the 25

SLE 190- 1of these

SLE 191 - 15

SLE 192 - 7

SLE 194 - 1

Assuming you're sticking with my last throat plan for the top station, it's 2 SL-E191s (double slip) and no SL-E194 (long diamond).

Also, I did the design using medium radius turnouts (SL-E195/196) not small (191/192), except in the sidings, and if I revisited would use longs (189) on the first crossover at least .

You haven't listed the 3-ways you were planning to use in the bottom station.  Given that you're going Code 75, note the 3-way is asymmetric (SL-E199), while your plan shows the symmetrical Code 100 version (SL-E99).  Though I don't think that will make much difference to the price of fish.

Finally, don't forget you need to buy rail joiners - both metal and insulated (SL 110/111).

Cheers again, Chris

Hi Chris

Revamped and new track list previous one toyed with taking 3 points out but they are back in !

All long points except the top right siding and the bottom left 2 forks

Flex/Wood - 42

SL‑E188SL - 8 

SL‑E189SL ‑ 5 

SL‑E190SL ‑ 2 

SL‑E191SL ‑ 5 

SL‑E199SL ‑ 2 

I think we are there :D

876127736_PickmontChimer.jpg.687b70f5c150cb3ce3df1d4ffe4028ea.jpg

Hi Chris

Now the track is sorted I am moving onto the electrics to get a feel for what is involved for later down the line (I thank you) after ensuring the track runs on manual switching mode correctly and getting the hang of it. Loco's to run on DCC controller Prodigy Express and points DC controlled.

So after a rather verbose introduction should this now be moved to the electrics section ?

I ask as I cocked up early in in my RM Web career by starting a post on this layout got bamboozled uploading a picture so started a new post on the same subject, so I am trying to get to the correct protocol :biggrin_mini2:

Chilly

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, Chilly said:

Hi Chris

Now the track is sorted I am moving onto the electrics to get a feel for what is involved for later down the line (I thank you) after ensuring the track runs on manual switching mode correctly and getting the hang of it. Loco's to run on DCC controller Prodigy Express and points DC controlled.

So after a rather verbose introduction should this now be moved to the electrics section ?

I ask as I cocked up early in in my RM Web career by starting a post on this layout got bamboozled uploading a picture so started a new post on the same subject, so I am trying to get to the correct protocol :biggrin_mini2:

Chilly

Fine to create a new thread in "DCC Help & Questions" and start that with the design you've arrived at. All the layout design discussion would be inappropriate in that forum.

Edited by Harlequin
  • Agree 1

Hi Phil

Thanks for the information.

The track layout is set in stone so it is purely the DCC Help& Question, I have been having a good look round that section in advance and it has provided me with useful information but also raises questions. It is like with anything everyone wants a perfect answer to questions that can be subjective … mine would be what are tonight's winning Lottey numbers :rolleyes:  

Chilly

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Yes, do start a thread over there, but include a link to this one, which will hopefully dissuade anyone from reopening the design questions.  If you've been looking at that section you will already know that there are on average around 15 answers to every question, including at least 2 that are directly contradictory :scratchhead::sarcastichand: and 5 that are totally unrelated :rolleyes: - but I can't pretend that doesn't happen here sometimes :).

It will also be fine to start a new thread in the Layout section once construction gets under way.  A few of us will be very interested in following that.

Good luck!

Chris

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Thanks Chris

Is it a cut and paste job on this page to the new topic..?

Yes time to cause mayhem on the DCC page, get some popcorn...……..:biggrin_mini2:

I will return :clapping:

Chilly

On 28/05/2020 at 14:46, Chilly said:

Hi Chris

I think we are there :D

Hi Chilly

I have read through your thread with interest, but have been too late to chime in with any thoughts.

However, I have got to say that if you were able to have an island platform in the lower loop on the lower station, the whole of that station layout is then similar to Bury on the preserved East Lancs Railway.  That would give you three platform faces - the ELR often has a train parked alongside a platform, especially the dining train (loading up with victuals before the passengers arrive!).  Bury is effectively a truncated through station - the three tracks at the end of your station again mirror that, and with an overbridge with a mirror underneath would give the effect of continuing onwards.

The main station building is on an overbridge (which would act as a scene blocker at the left end of your platforms), with island platform buildings, and buildings - including a Camra pub - on the other platform.  To complete the similarities to Bury, there are running sheds where you have the sidings in the corner!

I understand you have finalised your plan and are ready to start building, but if you Google East Lancs Railway and Bury Station, you should find plenty of photographs showing the station as it is today in heritage railway guise.  It might just give you some scenic treatment ideas!

Steve S

PS

Sorry - my hamfisted editing of your trackplan makes it look as if I have scrapped your three way point entering the station platforms - that wasn't the intention!

IMG_1014.JPG

Edited by SteveyDee68
Spotted error in image

In terms of appearance improvement I would have one continuous curve in place of the two tight curves and straight section between.  A transition curve could start around the end of the headshunt then gently tighten up to go round the end of the room with a similar transition curve in front of the loco facilities, there might even be room for a turntable!  There could even be a curved viaduct Glenfinnen style.

This would not add much to the corner baseboard widths but I think would make passenger bogie coaches look far less train set like.  The gentler the curves the better looking all trains will be, especially the longer steam locos.

Just my thoughts for what they're worth.

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, Chilly said:

Thanks Chris

Is it a cut and paste job on this page to the new topic..?

Yes time to cause mayhem on the DCC page, get some popcorn...……..:biggrin_mini2:

I will return :clapping:

Chilly

Only just seen the question, but the way you went about it was fine!