Broad Gauge Signal

Would anyone know where I could get, or have, better details of the attached signal.

This is a facsimile of a broad gauge era signal and has been constructed at Didcot.  I am thus hopeful that drawings might be available, especially of the spectacle plates, length of arms and details of the lamp.

IMG_1879.JPG.213edf395271cba9ae689214af6a324e.JPG

IMG_1882_(2).JPG.c859beb92807071e25d16cf1ed3b3063.JPG

I can see that at its core is McKenzie & Holland but even though I have an M&H catalogue, the lamps and the spectacle plates are somewhat different!

However, I see that they are somewhat similar to this early view from Porthmadoc - seems to be the same?

img117.png.1d7427eab76aaae24387809836a2b026.png

Anyone have any more detail of either?

Edited by Portchullin Tatty

14 hours ago, Portchullin Tatty said:

Would anyone know where I could get, or have, better details of the attached signal.

IMG_1879.JPG.213edf395271cba9ae689214af6a324e.JPGHowever, I see that they are somewhat similar to this early view from Porthmadoc - seems to be the same?

img117.png.1d7427eab76aaae24387809836a2b026.png

Is it me? The Portmadoc signal doesn't appear to have a lot in common with the Didcot example, which is a slotted post type.

8 minutes ago, Nick Holliday said:

Is it me? The Portmadoc signal doesn't appear to have a lot in common with the Didcot example, which is a slotted post type.

I was only referring to the spectacle plates.

And on closer inspection they Porthmadoc signal has slightly oval lenses, where as the Didcot one has round plates.

The both worked on the same principal though; a white light from the lamp was a right of way and when the spectacle plate was in front of this is displayed red for danger.

15 hours ago, Portchullin Tatty said:

This is a facsimile of a broad gauge era signal and has been constructed at Didcot.  I am thus hopeful that drawings might be available, especially of the spectacle plates, length of arms and details of the lamp.

I don't have any info myself but need it like yourself.

I am enquiring from those who should know and will come back asap.

--

Paul Townsend Broad Gauge Society 4mm Trade Officer

• 2 weeks later...

Various bits of info came to light about what has been published or thought about early slotted post signals.

I summarise what is easily available from secondary sources :

1. Some  dimensioned diagranms on pp 32-33 in Early Railways A Guide for the Modeller ISBN 978 52670 016 2

2. P. 58 in 19thC Railway Drawings in 4mm scale  ISBN 0 7153 8006 0

3. Mike Smiths website at  igg.org.uk/rail/3-sigs/sigs-1.htm

4. A diagram, details and photo of an example on Ffestiniog Rly  No link here because I don't know if copyright applies. If you want these apply to Mark Tatlow or ( ? Ffestiniog Socy )

5. Pictures and a drawing of a model in 7mm scale of Farrington St.   early Met. Again copyright may apply so if you want these, contact me for the owners details.

I rarely look at RMWeb since it was reorganised last year so if you want to contact me use

4mm_scale@broadgauge.org.uk

• Informative/Useful 1