Isle of Wight 2-4-0T locomotives

• RMweb Gold

Has anyone seen drawings of the various Isle of Wight 2-4-0T's, that were the mainstay of pre-Southern days, and kept running into Southern Railway days?  I've always wanted a model of one, as they were all most attractive little engines.  Many thanks, Jon

• RMweb Gold

I know there are some drawings floating around, but I can't remember where...

Golden Arrow Models do a whitemetal kit of the IWR ones in 4mm (the IWCR ones were, IIRC, slightly different - one of them was secondhand from the MSWJR, and I believe a kit is or was available for that too, but in original condition and so would need to be modified for IWCR condition)

Edit - the Golden Arrow website seems to be a bit out of date. He's done a batch fairly recently, as he had one on eBay a couple of weeks ago. They're £109 now.

Edited by Nick C

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Nick Holliday said:

For what it's worth Golden Arrow do (did) an all metal kit for these http://www.goldenarrow.me.uk/products.htm#southern

There are probably drawings in Russell's book on Southern Locos.

Many thanks,  Unfortunately, no drawings in Russell, except one side view.  And Golden Arrow is unfortunately the wrong scale!

The Isle of Wight Beyer Peacocks came in a variety of sizes.  The early ones were small, later purchases gradually increasing in size. 

A good book is: "A Locomotive History of Railways on the Isle of Wight" by D L Bradley, photos and dimensions of all but no drawings.

An O gauge kit was available for an Isle of Wight Railway Beyer Peacock in whitemetal, this actually was correct for Isle of Wight Central No7 (which was ex MSWJR) in its later form, wrong for any of the actual Isle of Wight Railway Co locos, ive not looked in detail but with smaller wheels, new tanks and other details it could be probably built as one of the larger ones (Brading or Bonchurch).

Pete

• Thanks 1

Before I checked the Bradley book I had thought the various Beyer Peacocks on the island were much the same, but I was surprised at the actual variety, both in the originals supplied and in the alterations made over the years, so by grouping probably no two were alike. Apart from the first three supplied to the Isle of Wight Railway in 1864, Ryde, Sandown and  Shanklin, and the first pair on the Isle of Wight Central Railway, in 1876, subsequent additions to the BP ranks were one-offs, as far as the Island was concerned, some with subtle variations and some substantially different. 

In 1906 the IWCR bought a BP tank from the Midland & South Western Junction Railway, and drawings for this loco are in Volume 2 of the WSP book on the M&SWJR, by Mike Barnsley, in 7mm with a useful isometric drawing of the front end. IWR  tanks Wroxall, Brading and Bonchurch, apparently, were similar to this design, with variations such as driving wheel diameters, so the drawings might be relatively easily adapted to suit.

• Thanks 1