Terence Lane - Liverpool area shunting plank

JBM37404

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, JBM37404 said:

Messing with filters on my phone....37426 in the RR headshunt on Terence Lane.

John

IMG_20200921_121138.jpg

It just needs the smell and noise filling the air...... (DCC Sound & smoke unit)

PS... I wish it was a Class 40 ticking over ;)

Jim

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jcarta said:

It just needs the smell and noise filling the air...... (DCC Sound & smoke unit)

PS... I wish it was a Class 40 ticking over ;)

Jim

May get a 40 one day but will be after a few other locos are obtained. 47 and 56 on pre order but have been working on the scenery stuff and refraining from buying stock for now.

Am starting to enjoy the results of the work so far.

John

• 3 months later...

Looking good JBM I'm thinking of doing a small/mini 0 gauge layout so I'll be following your efforts closely.  

Another layout I'm watching all though in 00 gauge is Bantam Street Yard as it also has a lot of interest in just under 4ft, scaling it up to 0 gauge would make 6 1/2 ft still small.

Good luck.

Best

Edited by Barnaby
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, 37114 said:

Hi John, It is looking good! Please can I ask the source of the point levers, I need to get some for my small yard layout? Thanks

Hi Rob,

Peter Clark models was the source for the point levers, I have a phone box to make also soon. Have seen your layouts great work and helped convince me I could have mainline rolling stock in a small space and make it interesting.

John

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Barnaby said:

Looking good JBM I'm thinking of doing a small/mini 0 gauge layout so I'll be following your efforts closely.  

Another layout I'm watching all though in 00 gauge is Bantam Street Yard as it also has a lot of interest in just under 4ft, scaling it up to 0 gauge would make 6 1/2 ft still small.

Good luck.

Best

Best of luck with your plans, I had wished to go double to 16ft but the person who is required to be obeyed has other ideas for the garage I had wished to convert. Will stick with the 8x2 ft for now and have been sort of ok'd to do something unobtrusive in the garden (quite how sound fitted 37s are to blend in to a quiet garden is to be worked on..)

John

• Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, JBM37404 said:

Hi Rob,

Peter Clark models was the source for the point levers, I have a phone box to make also soon. Have seen your layouts great work and helped convince me I could have mainline rolling stock in a small space and make it interesting.

John

Thanks John, I will have a look. And thanks for the comment on the layouts, v kind.

• Thanks 1

Nice idea to model a wheel lathe - gives you an excuse to bring almost anything to the layout! 

In my day job I work in wheel/rail interaction including wheelset maintenance optimisation, so I’ve been down plenty of wheel lathe pits in my time. 

Don’t forget the swarf extraction into a big skip outside. 

Cheers,

Mol

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mol_PMB said:

Nice idea to model a wheel lathe - gives you an excuse to bring almost anything to the layout! 

In my day job I work in wheel/rail interaction including wheelset maintenance optimisation, so I’ve been down plenty of wheel lathe pits in my time. 

Don’t forget the swarf extraction into a big skip outside. 

Cheers,

Mol

Cheers. Yes the lathe could see absolutely  anything  rock up. Will need a skip indeed and model the swarf too.

Am a signalman in day/night job so its nice to have a different railway  practice  to model.

John

• Like 1

5 hours ago, David Bell said:

The lathe is a great idea. I had the same idea for my shed layout which I am basing on Allerton, which had a lathe in a separate shed. I am going to put it in the main shed. My idea is something like the attached.

Cheers

David

Underfloor_wheel_lathe-Truing-lathe.jpg

Mine will probably look more primative than that I'm going to put a Peter Clark traction motor in the hollow space on the board which looks kind of like a machine from a distance. 

7 hours ago, David Bell said:

The lathe is a great idea. I had the same idea for my shed layout which I am basing on Allerton, which had a lathe in a separate shed. I am going to put it in the main shed. My idea is something like the attached.

Cheers

David

Underfloor_wheel_lathe-Truing-lathe.jpg

That looks right. Some depots have the lathe in part of the main building, Ardwick is an example. But they are almost always a lean-to on a separate siding because of the need to move the unit along so that each of its wheelsets is positioned over the lathe in turn. This means that you can’t do anything else on that road, and it can be hazardous and disruptive to have it in the main shed owing to the frequent train movements. 

These days many lathes have a small battery powered ‘loco’ for moving the units, remote controlled to allow the wheelset needing turning to be accurately positioned. Earlier a diesel shunter or some kind of road-railer might do the job. Even Ardwick (a relatively new depot) has a diesel shunter (Lancelot) which is occasionally used for moving stock on the lathe, especially when they do outside contract work for other operators such as WCRC. 

• 1 month later...

Hello JBM some interesting concepts and workings here.

A couple of other things caught my interest to, 1/ I'm a fellow scouser but now living down in Worcestershire so anything with Liverpool in it catches my eye and is a must read & 2/ from my read through I see your expansion has been thwarted but the station mistress and you are building to 8ft x 2ft in 0gauge.

That just so happens to be what I have concluded is a best size for me too.  Is it possible for you to show another photo of the complete layout and fiddle yard intentions as I'm always keen for any ideas and how the smaller planks will operate. 

Best

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Barnaby said:

Hello JBM some interesting concepts and workings here.

A couple of other things caught my interest to, 1/ I'm a fellow scouser but now living down in Worcestershire so anything with Liverpool in it catches my eye and is a must read & 2/ from my read through I see your expansion has been thwarted but the station mistress and you are building to 8ft x 2ft in 0gauge.

That just so happens to be what I have concluded is a best size for me too.  Is it possible for you to show another photo of the complete layout and fiddle yard intentions as I'm always keen for any ideas and how the smaller planks will operate. 

Best

I have attached a couple of shots. One is an end to end and another above the traverser. The traverser fits a full size loco or shunter and a wagon or two depending on size with a few inches extra some kind of temp extension to the traverser could be attached perhaps for longer stuff.

Its hard to get decent pics in the room its in and the light is poor in there. I will take some more when its moved downstairs for a bit while the decorating goes on.

I got exiled from Liverpool once to Milton Keynes/Rugby for work reasons but back in West Derby now.

J

20210224_121958.jpg

20210224_121931.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1