Bachmann Dynamis RailController

• RMweb Premium

Its OK - very basic and the sequence programming function is all based round time intervals which I found to be of little value. Performance of a schedule would vary depending on how freely the loco was running which can change over a running session as things get warmed up - and chaos ensues if the track got a bit dirty.

Also not so keen that it is registered to a single device by license key and you don't have any back up. Need to contact Bachmann support to re-register it to another device. Relevant to me as I was using it on an exhibition layout and I did not like the idea that a failure on the laptop could only be solved if Bachmann were available - not very likely on a Sunday morning.

It was an interesting experiment and if you are just looking for a nice panel, basic controls for locos and accessories, its OK, anything more and you will find it lacking.

At the end I parked that software and opted for RocRail which I find very good. As the Dynamis Ultima is a re-badged ESU Navigator, its fully supported by RocRail. You need a bit of IT knowledge or persistence to set it up but so far I cannot fault it.  The software package itself is free. As an extra, I have paid the 12euro per year subscription for the web enabled component and can happily use it on wireless tablet and mobile phone. It also lets me run external commands from buttons on the panel, sound effects to bluetooth speakers etc.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks JimFin,

The type of feedback I was seeking, I may look at the RocRail software and give the Railcontroller a miss.  The demo disk is a bit of a letdown.

Mike

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

So I am finally thinking of DCC (in N) for my next layout - as it will be end to end it seems that I may benefit from not having to put isolation everywhere to hold locos and I may like a sound loco or two.

In the past I was thinking NCE Powercab as the starting point, but there are none about, Bachmann are suggesting Dynamis should be in stock soon and it seems to be a reasonable price for a starter.

I just want to control trains, maybe some points and there maybe sound - nothing complicated.

Will the Bachmann Dynamis meet these basics competently and in a manner than a DC luddite like myself can understand?

• RMweb Premium

The Dynamis Ultima would cover those bases and a few others that you may explore in the future. It is older technology but perfectly robust. To make my life easy I chose to combine this with ESU badged accessory decoders as there is guaranteed comparability and the instructions all worked together. (SwitchPilot and SevoPilot)

Historically it came in for some criticism as some domestic lighting could interfere with the infra red signal between handset and base. I personally only experienced that once when the layout was positioned under a large incandescent floodlight in an exhibition hall. That has largely been eliminated as modern lighting (LED SMD etc) is wavelength specific and there is no overlap into the IR spectrum which is what caused the interference.

You will either love or hate the handset and if at all possible, I would recommend you try one in your hand before you buy. I personally love it - but that may be just years of use speaking! The only fault I have had with the handsets is wear and tear in the throttle joystick. After a few years hard use, they went back to Bachmann for replacement joysticks.

As the handsets are battery operated (3 X AAA) they do need replacement from time to time and this is one instance where I have found the premium brands do last a lot lot longer than those from the pound shop - provided you remember to switch the handset off when you have finished using it.......

The only limitation for sound locos is that Dynamis has a limit of 20 functions per loco - so if your chosen sound decoder has more than 20 functions, you may not be able to access all of them.

Looking ahead, future things you may want to do, this set up will allow you to read and write CV's and fine tune the control of the locos. It is compatible with a number of computer control software options, essentially, those that interface with the ESU Navigator - which essentially is what it is. What it will not do is interface with train detection devices so full automation of your layout with this is just not going to happen.

Hope that helps to some extent.

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

This is going way off topic and in the wrong section Woodenhead.

It might be more appropriate to post your question in "DCC Help & Questions".

You'll likely get more replies there too.

Cheers

Ron

Just realised this thread was about the rail controller software as well, should just have started a new topic really shouldn't I.

• Friendly/supportive 1