Adhesive for Foamboard

I have a couple of large factory building to construct for which I intend to use foam board for the basic shells. The foamboard I have is 5mm thick faced on both sides with thin card. I am looking for suggestions as to the best adhesive for this material. Any help would be much appreciated.

• RMweb Gold

I had a problem with delamination of the foam board after a few years on some jobs I did for display posters. That would be my worry if using it in buildings. The outer coating peeled off the foam complete with the outer image.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

I've used hot glue before, but you have to be careful not to use too much so the foam doesn't completely melt. I used it a bit like 'spot' welding.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm using 3.5mm foamboard for "Heavy Card" in 0 gauge.  PVA works fine but my buildings haven't been around long enough for delam to manifest.  If that is a concern, wrapping the edges with masking tape may help.  I use Scalescenes methods which uses edge wrapping anyway.

John

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, brossard said:

I'm using 3.5mm foamboard for "Heavy Card" in 0 gauge.  PVA works fine but my buildings haven't been around long enough for delam to manifest.  If that is a concern, wrapping the edges with masking tape may help.  I use Scalescenes methods which uses edge wrapping anyway.

John

The adhesive on masking tape is not designed for long-term use. I would worry far more about that failing than delamination of the card sides from the foamboard.

A couple of other methods spring to mind:

1) brush PVA on the edge, that will strengthen it or

2)  use a glue stick (or PVA if you prefer) to fix a paper wrap around the edge

I haven't done either of these things, my buildings seem stable enough.  Just trying to offer constructive suggestions.

John

Edited by brossard
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

I've used a glue gun with foamcore but only for rough mockups. 

My tool kit for card models:

P1010178.JPG.08fafdac72e0a6ad8d852586909eabba.JPG

A sanding stick is very important as well.

The project I am currently working on:

P1010208.JPG.67949441ba749b9f363e6251f85b11ee.JPG

7mm version of Scalescenes Garage kit:  https://scalescenes.com/product/t017-garage/

Note the main walls are foamcore, 3.5mm thick which is correct for "Heavy" card called for in the kit.

The board is faced with prints from the kit and fixed with a glue stick.  PVA was used to stick the double thickness wall together.

John, you may already be aware but Scalescenes do several industrial building kits, including an enormous factory.  I can recommend them.

John

Edited by brossard

A mixture of PVA glue for the main adhesive and some hot melt glue for "spot welding" in places.

Oh and a fair number of pins to hold it all together while it sets will help.

I have a baseboard mock up built over 20 years ago using the above that is still in one piece.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I've used it on a couple of walls on the original Scalescenes box file kit instead of layering 2mm card and it seems to be fine. I used my usual combination of Pritt Stick for the large areas of cover layer, and PVA for any wrapping over, then PVA to join the structure together. PVA should work fine for sticking stuff to the foam. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Don't know if this helps, but having just searched for 10mm foamboard I came across a website which lists different types, sizes, depths and colours of foamboard plus all sorts of accessories including glue - 100ml foamboard glue for £4.99. It claims not to distort the surface when gluing (something I've read about elsewhere).

Also an interesting tool called a Rabbet cutter, which removes a single surface/foam in a strip along an edge to allow neat edges to corners. I don't know if it is adjustable to different thicknesses or anything, but it is a way of not having any foam edges showing at a corner. Something perfectly accomplishable with a sharp scalpel and a straightedge, but the video demonstrating the tool shows it taking seconds. If you plan on producing a lot of mockups or using foamboard as a basic shell the £25 tool might be worth investing in?

Website address is www.foam-board.co.uk

Steve S

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1