Versions of RMweb being served

Now, lets first say that I might be being a Bear Of Little Brain!

Ok, on my main PC RMweb is served up in the following format:

RMweb1.jpg.8699e6fe632953693ca19c13ff5381df.jpg

This is pretty much how I prefer it, with various stuff in the sidebar.

This is what I get on the laptop.

RMweb2.jpg.04589ca5a557785c1130f6fa3aba5fbc.jpg

Which is the long scroll of what I characterise as the "Tablet/Smartphone view".

Both computers are running Win 10 to the most recent update, both have Firefox 76.0.1 (64 bit) which is the current version at the moment.

So why is the laptop getting served the rubbish Long Scroll Tablet version?

Is there a setting that I've missed that forces the Desktop version to be served to the laptop?

Suggestions appreciated as this is bugging me!  :crazy:

Ta!

• RMweb Gold

If the website is coded anything like mine, it'll automatically adjust the format to suit narrower screens.
In this case, any screen under 980px, it changes to mobile/tablet mode.
980px isn't very wide though, even for a laptop; so I'm not sure if this is the case?

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

I have an option on my phone to use 'desktop version' which gives me the desktop version (pic 1).  Maybe your settings on the laptop have a similar option ?

If you narrow the browser window on your pc, at some point it will change to the phone version all by itself.

Edited by Stubby47
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, SouthernRegionSteam said:

If the website is coded anything like mine, it'll automatically adjust the format to suit narrower screens.
In this case, any screen under 980px, it changes to mobile/tablet mode.
980px isn't very wide though, even for a laptop; so I'm not sure if this is the case?

I doubt if its that, the laptop runs at 1366x768.

However...

I don't run app windows full screen, or anything like it, so I tried dragging the Firefox window out a bit, and after a cm or so it leapt to my preferred viewing option.  so 980px in the view pane is the threshold that determines what you get.  Ho Hum.

Thanks for the suggestion!

3 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

I have an option on my phone to use 'desktop version' which gives me the desktop version (pic 1).  Maybe your settings on the laptop have a similar option ?

My first thought, but there's nothing like that anywhere I've looked.  As I said, I might not be looking in the right place!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Hroth said:

However...

I don't run app windows full screen, or anything like it, so I tried dragging the Firefox window out a bit, and after a cm or so it leapt to my preferred viewing option.  so 980px in the view pane is the threshold that determines what you get.  Ho Hum.

That's why I was a little unsure; 980px would be tiny for a laptop screen!
Glad it helped though. Designing websites for mobiles/tablets is an absolute pain in the proverbial, and not having a smartphone I have to rely on resizing windows on my PC to check my website functions as intended on such devices! At least you know for next time you encounter this issue on any other website.

• Agree 1

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Hroth said:

The other factor is any browser magnification you may have.

Try Ctrl+mouse wheel to see how that impacts it.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 2 months later...

Can I force this on an iphone? I would like the desktop version.

I've tried requesting the desktop version in settings. I've tried other browsers, though I've read that the Safari rendering engine could be limiting the possibility here, and no difference regardless of advanced settings within the app.  Based on the above info from @AY ModI've also tried adjusting the default page zoom in settings even though the screen is already 1125px on the small dimension. Everything gets smaller but I still get the mobile version.